For what it's Worth-Tesla

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
in the one year since I bought an S as well as a Model 3 Performance, the Tesla app show that my wife and I have saved about $4K in gas. .....and no service calls. The only thing Ive had to do all year was to add windshield cleaner fluid to my wife's car last week
How much did you pay in electricity?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
How much did you pay in electricity?
Thats the beauty Brad. My entire house is 100% solar powered and I have a 10.8 KW grid on my roof that produces more than required for my auto needs. Bottom line, I have had 2 Teslas this year and my electricity charge for my house and car has been grand total of ZERO DOLLARS. Thats difficult for anyone to ignore. I have no desire to ever own an ICE again. I would recommend Solar power unequivocally. As stated I have not had an electric bill in my house for the past 5 years, since I installed my solar panels on the roof

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Thats the beauty Brad. My entire house is 100% solar powered and I have a 10.8 KW grid on my roof that produces more than required for my auto needs. Bottom line, I have had 2 Teslas this year and my electricity charge for my house and car has been grand total of ZERO DOLLARS. Thats difficult for anyone to ignore. I have no desire to ever own an ICE again. I would recommend Solar power unequivocally. As stated I have not had an electric bill in my house for the past 5 years, since I installed my solar panels on the roof
When did you hit ROI in Cali? Some simply do not have he sun quantity to make it practical.

Steve Williams

When did you hit ROI in Cali? Some simply do not have he sun quantity to make it practical.
I reached ROI after 4 years. So I’ve been completely absent of any electric bills for my house and cars plus I continue to bank surplus electricity So even on sunless days my system has enough reserve to pay for those days

Reactions: Folsom

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I reached ROI after 4 years. So I’ve been completely absent of any electric bills for my house and cars plus I continue to bank surplus electricity So even on sunless days my system has enough reserve to pay for those days
That's really fast and congrats! What is the price per kwh out where you live if you don't mind sharing. When I had one of the many solar panel companies come by my house and quote again recently the ROI was questionable that it would ever be reached during the life of the panels and batteries so I decided against it but our kwh price is ranging between 13c and 17c per kwh in Texas and the price for the system + batteries was more than a fully maxed out Model S so it doesn't make sense for me right now.

George

Reactions: Gjo

Steve Williams

First off, I went solar for the simple reason that our electricity provider is the most expensive in the nation topping at $0.65/kwh

I only charge my cars between midnight and 0600 on weekdays and midnight to 200PM on weekend when it is 0.16/kwh

With the tax credit I received I reached full ROI on or just before 4 years and in all the time since Ive gone solar I have never received an electric bill

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
That’s great to hear, Steve. I’ve been dithering for the past 5 years about going solar. I guess I should follow your lead. I was hoping the technology would improve. I’m guessing the newer panels are more efficient. Did you install the Tesla Powercell batteries as well?

Steve Williams

That’s great to hear, Steve. I’ve been dithering for the past 5 years about going solar. I guess I should follow your lead. I was hoping the technology would improve. I’m guessing the newer panels are more efficient. Did you install the Tesla Powercell batteries as well?
I didn’t. My next step is garage batteries but not Tesla. I’m going to use Sun Power as they did my roof panels and they have a great total house solution

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Not enough sun here to justify solar as we could get nothing all winter and most of fall. Otherwise, we would have installed solar years ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing