FM Acoustics 2011 - how do they sound

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Yes, Wizard got the information from me. We have known about this new amplifier for a few days. We didn't want to leak the information to the internet because at first we got information that the 118 would be a new annivesary model limited to a production run of 40 pairs. This information out on the internet would seriously limit my chances of getting a pair. This turned out not to be correct. The Resolution Series 118 will be part of FM Acoustics regular serial produced product line.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sounds like FMA is competing with Goldmund to bring out the most ridiculously priced gear available. I've heard FMA and it's good, but not that good - this is well past the point of diminishing returns IMHO.

I am glad you said that, not me:)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just noticed on the Wizard Audio blog that FMA is coming out with a monoblock version of the 1811 called the 118....costing only 400,000 Swiss Francs/ pair. So to drive FMA's own loudspeakers, you'll need to drop 800,000 CHF ... Sounds like FMA is competing with Goldmund to bring out the most ridiculously priced gear available. I've heard FMA and it's good, but not that good - this is well past the point of diminishing returns IMHO.

+1

To save the dear forum members a trip to Google:
400,000 CHF is $432,000 US Dollars

Where will this stop?
When are we to see the first $1,000,000 amp?
Will we see the $50,000 speaker cable first?

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
+1
Will we see the $50,000 speaker cable first?

We have already seen this, in prototype form only though in the Genoa model prototype from the colaboration between Allan Shane and Sensory Power. The conductors were superconductors and they were cooled with liqued nitrogen. The cables came with a compressor to circulate the nitrogen and a liquid nitrogen tank.

If I remember correctly it was more than USD $100K

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We have already seen this, in prototype form only though. The Genoa model prototype from the colaboration between Allan Shane and Sensory Power. The conductors were superconductors and they were cooled with liqued nitrogen. The cables came with a compressor ro circulate the nitrogen and a liquid nitrogen tank.

If I remember correctly it was more than USD $100K

Balanced or SE for the $100K ;)

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Let me correct that. The Genoa's price was USD $175000. They also had a scaled down model without the liquid nitrogen. The price was "just" USD $25000

Steve Williams

Let me correct that. The Genoa's price was USD $175000. They also had a scaled down model without the liquid nitrogen. The price was "just" USD $25000

I guess the price of liquid nitrogen is going up in some world markets

To even discuss this IMHO is absolutely ludicrous

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Back to FM Acoustics - I wonder if their active crossovers (Resolution Series 332 and 333) would be an improvement over the crossovers delivered with Rockport Technologies Arrakis 2 and/or Tidal Audio T1?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I can't resist......

Instead of spending $175,000 on speaker cables, why not build the amplifiers into the speakers?

I can't imagine anyone here interested in buying those cables. I just answered a question if USD $50000 existed.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Back to FM Acoustics - I wonder if their active crossovers (Resolution Series 332 and 333) would be an improvement over the crossovers delivered with Rockport Technologies Arrakis 2 and/or Tidal Audio T1?

If it was easy to throw together a couple of drivers into a cabinet and an active crossover, everyone would be a loudspeaker designer. How would the active crossover take into account the baffle step correction? Or the driver center-to-center displacement? Or drivers that do not have a perfectly flat and perfect phase response?

There are more pairs of Genesis One loudspeakers destroyed by a "knowledgeable dealer" trying to sell more FMA amplifiers and crossovers than I care to recall.

Peter

Feb 15, 2012

That's an interesting question...to which the answer is purely subjective of course.

With these new FMA amplifiers, given that they are based upon the 1811 amp, is it possible that they will sound so much better than everything before them to even remotely justify their price?

It seems that with some of these things, it becomes a marketing ploy - to create "cache" by jacking up the price and saying there will be a limited number made. Actual performance appears to have little to do with it ultimately. At this point surely one must ask themselves if they'd spend their money in this manner (ie: extra $$ vs. extra performance) on the stock market?

Fortunately for me, I can't even pretend to afford such things thus I'm compelled to leave the resolution of this dilemma in the capable hands:) of those who can.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Peter,

Just to let you know I considered these amplifiers only before I learned their price. At the moment I am back in negotiation on the 2011.

Steve Williams

Peter,

Just to let you know I considered these amplifiers only before I learned their price. At the moment I am back in negotiation on the 2011.

Can someone explain to me the high cost of these amps or do they do it just because they can. I also wonder if their owners can pick out their amps in a blind test

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can someone explain to me the high cost of these amps or do they do it just because they can. I also wonder if their owners can pick out their amps in a blind test

Not You too Steve :D . They're no different from other less expensive High Ebd brands. They are only more extreme. To be fair They have always been ahead of the curve in term of performance.

I heard back in the days a Crosby-modified Quad crossed-over with a FMA crossover to a Magnepan Tympani woofer, it was extremely good. I replicated it somewhat a few months later with a Tympani panel and an Athena crossover.. I think Bruce Brisson of MIT Cable fame designed these crossovers. They didn't seem to be as transparent as the FMA crossover. It was a different system (mine) in a different room (mine again) so the comparison may not be valid.
I have heard FMA a few times, the results were consistently good.
To answer the question about Crossover. Digital crossovers such as those of the DeQX or TaCT will do almost anything you desire and better than anything analogue. I should qualify better : better in terms of pure crossover parameters, Phase, timing, slopes and even impulse response .. Whether this sound will be pleasurable to the owner as opposed to analogue crossovers or passive is an entirely different debate.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing