FM Acoustics 2011 - how do they sound

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Steve, as you know, some products are just trophies. I suspect this is the case here...

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
+1

To save the dear forum members a trip to Google:
400,000 CHF is $432,000 US Dollars

Where will this stop?
When are we to see the first $1,000,000 amp?
Will we see the $50,000 speaker cable first?

Released last year, the Sltech Emperor Double Crown SC comfortably exceeds the 50k mark.. :p Close to $100k rrp for their 3m/pair if not mistaken.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Can someone explain to me the high cost of these amps or do they do it just because they can. I also wonder if their owners can pick out their amps in a blind test

They used to be expensive, but I thought worth the money considering the obsessive attention to detail. Since then, the prices have gone through the roof, and I don't know how they could justify CHF400,000 for a pair of amplifiers. But that's from someone who's justifying selling loudspeakers for $300,000 a pair (system).

djanggo

Aug 7, 2011
I don't know if the FM 122 is better than the latest AR Reference Phono 2 SE, but it was better than the original Reference Phono when I compared them about 8 or 9 years ago. I didn't like the Manley Steelhead when I heard it in a customer's system, so I didn't do a direct comparison. I used to bring it around, and I did directly compare to a number of phono stages, but didn't find anything better until the Burmester Ph100 (which was twice the price of the FM 122).

However, having sold it and bought the Ph100, I miss the ability to adjust RIAA curves for some of the older recordings I have. The RIAA curve adjustment also allows a bass cut for some records that are mastered for systems that have insufficient bass and are bass boosted. One of my customers just bought a Ref 2 SE, so I may just take a road trip to his place in Wyoming (when it stops snowing in the passes) and bring my Ph100 for a comparo.

I don't think that the FM 268 and the VRE-1 C are directly comparable. The 268 has a superlative built-in graphic equalizer (FM calls it a linearizer). If I was more of a tweaker, I might have got the 268, but using it to tweak your system is the wrong way to use it. It is intended to tweak recordings that are done less than linear (hence the FM122).

The VRE-1C is more directly comparable to the FM255 because they both have both balanced and single-ended inputs (more flexibility for someone like me). But, I think that the VRE-1C is better sounding and is better value for money.

FWIW. In lengthy group comparisons, while we consider moving from the 255mkII to 266mkII a definite and stepped improvement, we believe their 268 to be playing in a totally different plane altogether, simply the much superior pre-amp. Even with its linearizer function switched 'out' (the preferred setting for most of our panel members), easily outclassed, quite across the board, its own brethren the 266mkII. Difference was more stark than when for eg. we switched out 711mkII for a 1811 (on benign speaker load).

Agree however that the 'linearizer' function should be left to aid inferior recordings and NOT tweak systems nor correct rooms, although it will help.

Peter

Feb 15, 2012
Nobody's slamming you, it's just unbelievable that folks will pay that out of the insecurity that they won't have "the best".

Lee

:D That makes me laugh...in the end, it might be cheaper and more satisfying for the sufferer to just pay for the enlargement and get on with things.;)

But imagine having been told you've got the VERY BEST as you dropped 270K CHF on a pair of FMA 1811's to bi-amp your "world-beater" speakers, only to find they've been hatching the new VERY BEST right at the same time !! What a P.O.!:mad:! Hmmm, guess there are benefits to being poor after all:D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am sure it could be improved by cooling with liquid helium to just above minus 273 celsius:D.
But there is at least science behind these cables because it makes them superconductors
This would then be signature series
What about cooling the transistor amps with liquid helium , no more aluminium or copper (momentumamps) heatsinks
I ve never heard FM acoustics , these prices dont go so well with the dutch :D :b
We have already seen this, in prototype form only though in the Genoa model prototype from the colaboration between Allan Shane and Sensory Power. The conductors were superconductors and they were cooled with liqued nitrogen. The cables came with a compressor to circulate the nitrogen and a liquid nitrogen tank.

If I remember correctly it was more than USD $100K

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing