Flat panel HDTV Shootout (2013) | Plasma & LCD LED - Value Electronics ...By the Pros

Joe D

Dec 20, 2012
Halfmoon NY
Plasma is best value...rumored not long lived but for 500 bucks you can get something that will last you at least 5 years // great for sports and gaming.. i have had a panasonic for 3 years over 40" no problem <450 bux...no i am not a gamer

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Plasma is best value...rumored not long lived but for 500 bucks you can get something that will last you at least 5 years // great for sports and gaming.. i have had a panasonic for 3 years over 40" no problem <450 bux...no i am not a gamer

I have an LG Plasma TV in my office. It is about 6-7 years old. Last time I checked, it had over 20.000h (20 thousands). Looks the way we first bought it ! Zero problems throught the years.

I will probably get the ST60 for my living room. Great value.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The Panasonic Plasma TC-P60ST50 I have is an excellent set, but there is one aspect of it which is disappointing. When I have the set on the 4:3 ratio on low def cable TV programming all is fine until the "zoom' setting is selected. The picture then becomes compromised and blurry. On DVD's this zoom setting on a 4:3 aspect ratio is not an issue (been watch Babylon-5 lately with good results), it's only on cable TV sources.

Funny thing is my wife does not even care, she also does not care if the programming is stretched out either. This leaves me occasionally pressing the aspect ratio button to get best results, an activity absent from the LG LCD in our bedroom.

Much focus has been given to the best sets with the best program material available, however equal time for garbage in, garbage out should be given to address real world conditions.

Of course, I have almost all my image management software turned off for optimum results under optimum conditions, so there may be a feature setting I can switch to fix things, but it really isn't that much of a problem. The set is so large that even with 4:3 material cropped with black bars to each side, the image is still very large, and very clear. The zoom setting tends to chop off heads and captions, which is not true to the original source material nor the director's intent.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
George, I never watch TV so I don't have issues that other people have. ...I don't even watch non-anamorphic DVDs.

But I do know what you're saying, and such is a compromise among many others in this world of TV watching.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing