Flash Recorders

jimtavegia

Jul 21, 2010
2 Weeks ago I purchased a Tascam DR-07 as I had grown so tired of latency issues in recording with my laptop at 2496. I thought that a $109 investment would prove, or disprove, that this might be an appropirate path to take for the location recording gigs I do for universities and high school I love doing.

The Tascam DR-07 proved to be all that I could have every hoped for a redbook quality recorder, even discounting the cheap price. I do not use the mics that are attached to the head of the unit, but outboard mics and mic pres. The quality is excellent and with the 8 gig SDHC card I bought, I will have all the storage space I could ever want.

I then bought the Tascam DR-2d for doing 2496 recordings. At the $209 price it may be the neatest piece of gear I have bought in the last 10 years. The recording quailty IS an improvement over the -07 and is easily as good, if not better, than any 2496 recordings I made with my laptop when it was working properly. The 8 gig card I bought for it will give me 4 hours of location recording...more than enough.

On both it is easy to create individual tracks as you you just hit stop after each song, and then can hit the record button twice to begin "rollling" the recording of the next track, all accomplished in under 5 seconds and not miss a beat. I usually have much more time than that anyway, but still easy to do.

The recording quality at 2496 is excellent and leaves me not wanting much more. Once dumped into my computer I then open them with Sony Sound Forge and clean up the headers and tails and make sure all the levels are appropriate. I don't compress or gain ride during the recording so I must set levels prior very accurately. Knowing the material is always helpful.

I would easily recommend the Tascam line of flash recorders to any one and an easy way to do needle drops if your TT is not close to your computer rig. Go from the tape out of your big rig and use a stereo phone to stereo mini jack into the Tascams and on both you can set the line levels easily. The 07 has a analog volume wheel on the side, the DR-2d as up and down buttons. The displays are easy to read when back lit, but at the recording site a small book light is a big help. If for nothing else the DR-2d would make a great back up recorder for any one who knows how important having a back up is. That is what I use my -07 for. :cool:

You don't need to do location recording to appreciate these little recorders. If I was a college student and lectures were a big part of my classwork, I would get a DR-07, or the new -05 ($99), set them to record at mp3, and record my lectures for post review. The built in stereo mics would be great for that.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I totally agree. Anyone wanting to archive vinyl or even do location recording, Korg has several units out that are excellent. You can find the MR-1 now for under $300 since the MR-2 came out.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I've used a cheap Zoom H2 for rehearsal and some amateur concert recording for years. It is surprisingly good. I should use it more as it's very easy to set up and use, but I find listening to myself too bloody humbling if not outright embarrassing... ;) - Don

Spirit84

May 29, 2011
Toronto
I am brand spanking new to this forum. I have been contemplating archiving my Vinyl collection and stumbled upon this thread. I would like to record to some kind of flash card recorder and was hoping that you could recommend:
1: Brand/model that will do the trick at a reasonable cost, with the appropriate technical specs to archive at optimal quality
2: A short primer on how to actually connect the turntable/phono stage to the recommended unit
thank you in advance

Spirit84

May 29, 2011
Toronto
I am actually originally from Montreal and moved to Toronto in 1978 after graduating from McGill University.
Which area of Toronto are you from?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing