First major system upgrade in many years

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I’ve found the older I get, I’ll be 75 this year, the less I’ve focused on the equipment and the more it’s been all about the music.

I have not upgraded any of the electronics in almost 9 years.

In the last 18 months or so, I’ve instituted the following upgrades:

ARC Ref Phono to ARC Ref Phono 2se

ARC Ref Line Stage 2 Mk 1 to ARC Ref Line Stage 5se

ARC Ref 75 Amplifier to ARC Ref 150 Amplifier

SOTA Millennia Prototype #1 to a full Condor, Eclipse, Roadrunner

Donna at SOTA got really excited about this one and posted an article about it on their FaceBook page exclaiming the first Millennia ever built, going through the full upgrade

SOTA Star Series III to a SOTA Nova, full Condor, Eclipse, Roadrunner

Purist Corvus RCA cable between Phono and Line Stage to Balance Corvus

I’m extremely happy with the results of these upgrades and think I’ll be set for a long time. The only other item I might like to have is a pair of ARC Ref 250 Amplifiers but, they will need to come down in cost a bit first. Maybe sometime next year or the year after.

The system as it is currently.

DSC_1940 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Those are wonderful upgrades! Big congratulations to you!

PS: I love that you have not one but two tape machines!

Reactions: Pacha

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Any audiophile with two B77s is a genius! Enjoy the music!

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Any audiophile with two B77s is a genius! Enjoy the music!
Actually, one B77 and one PR99. Thank You for the compliment :)

Last edited:

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Those are wonderful upgrades! Big congratulations to you!

PS: I love that you have not one but two tape machines!
The PR 99 Mk III is 2 track and the B77 Mk II is 4 track, I also have two other PR 99, one more B 77 and two G36 Mk III. I hope to finish restoration on the others and see which I like the best.

Reactions: ack and Ron Resnick

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
I’ve found the older I get, I’ll be 75 this year, the less I’ve focused on the equipment and the more it’s been all about the music.

Donna at SOTA got really excited about this one and posted an article about it on their FaceBook page exclaiming the first Millennia ever built, going through the full upgrade

I’m extremely happy with the results of these upgrades and think I’ll be set for a long time. The only other item I might like to have is a pair of ARC Ref 250 Amplifiers but, they will need to come down in cost a bit first. Maybe sometime next year or the year after.

View attachment 77188
I like the « Digital free zone ». You can add « transistor free zone « too.
special mention for the Sota Millenia !

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I like the « Digital free zone ». You can add « transistor free zone « too.
special mention for the Sota Millenia !
I would add the Transister Free Zone except that both the R2Rs have transistors and some early IC in the PR99

Reactions: Frenchrooster

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Love the 2 tables ! And congrats on the upgrades !!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amazing...congrats! Some very serious music coming from that system! I particularly smiled at the CD/Digital Free sign. As a guy who swore to myself 30 years ago to focus on 1 format (it ended up being CD), I have lived that promise for all this time.

I also respect your pursuit of MUSIC while your system has remained relatively stable. Interestingly, going back 10 years in our system, the brands/components are all nearly identical today, except that each component has been upgraded to newer models from the same designers (other than the preamp where I switched designers for the first time in 20 years).

What HAS changed dramatically...as you have been saying...is the MUSIC. The amount of music we have today is 10x more than it was 10 years ago...and that collection of music 10 years ago took nearly 20 years to build. Over 20 years, we had collected maybe 300 CDs...10 years after that, and today, that is closer to 3000.

In other words, the system has truly enhanced and inspired an exploration of MUSIC.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Very nice!
Enjoy!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice!
Enjoy!!
Hi Holli82,

Looking at your phenomenal signature block, I have to say that I always admired truly 'homogenous' systems that are top shelf, 'unified brands'. Your entire system by all accounts is entirely 'unified' in its vision, symbiotic relationships/design. Very clean.

By contrast, I have organically grown the system partly due to the fact that I get everything second hand or on super-one-off-sale-opportunities. I truly enjoy it and have actually stuck with each brand in each position...and upgraded each component within that brand over the last 10 years, one at a time. That said, I have often wondered (curiosity rather than any real desire) what the system would sound like doing it the other way.

I have enjoyed reading about the launch of your new system. Enjoy!!!

Reactions: Pacha and Holli82

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

View attachment 77188
Great system.congratulations

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing