Finding The Value Of Three Sealed Unopened and Unplayed Sheffield Direct to Disc Albums For Sale

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
When I got out of vinyl and sold my hardware and albums, these three stayed behind (for I am sure some good reason) and I now want to sell them. I am, however, having difficulty locating a source to determine the value/selling price of these albums. I have an idea that the Thelma Houston album has a lot of value. Any hints would be appreciated.

They are:

Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues - Volume III

Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker: I've Got The Music In Me

Brahms: Variations and Fugue On A Theme By Handel

Photos Below (Front and Back of Each Album):

Attachments

• IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    992.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    942.1 KB · Views: 56

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Interesting ......... I'll be watching this since I have the first two. BTW, not opening and playing them was a sin for they are both great !

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I too have a unopened copy of the Thelma Houston album. The Brahms one I has been played one and has been sitting for a out 30 years.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Those are among the earliest of the Sheffield Lab series. They weren't particularly rare, although IIRC the Thelma Houston album did sell out (along with the Dave Gruisin album) and Sheffield reissued them using their backup tapes to generate the record. So that one may be more valuable. Sealed? Don't have a clue to the premium. I'm guessing to get into the stratosphere, you need to have Asian buyers for which these albums are a cult following (see the album prices for Leonid Kogan's albums on EMI Columbia SAX these days!) One way to check is to put them on ebay with a $1 starting price, but a very high reserve price (say $2500 or so) and see what you get.

There is a very valuable Sheffield. That is Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues (Volume 1) Catalogue S9. It goes for a couple of hundred bucks used. I don't have that album, but I do have all the Sheffield LAB series and the S10 Missing Linc album - none sealed. Doug Sax (who started Sheffield with Lincoln Mayorga) once borrowed my Harry James King James album to play at a show he was attending. He autographed the album for me. :)

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing