FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

The World Cup is ripe for Instant replay .. Too many botched calls.. It seems to me the officiating has been reliably BAD this World cup ...
Argentine vs Mexico was a case in point .. The goal was a shock to the Mexicans and they never regain their composure same with the American goal, the England goal , and many others ... I will continue to watch but I must say there is a bitter taste in my mouth about this edition of the World Cup ...

Frantz

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hi
The officiating at this World Cup is no better or no worse than in previous Cup games.
The amount of technology available to the TV / internet viewer is so good that every call can now be questioned and put to scrutiny.
As anyone who has refereed a game, the decisions have to be instant and sometimes are tough to call.
Especially with all of the distractions from the fans and the noise.
Agree with you Frantz that instant replay and a goal camera should be used by FIFA.
Too many missed goal /calls are bad for the sport.

Mike

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Looks like finally Sepp Blatter is considering IR or VR and it is to be discussed later this summer. Something needs to be done.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

The World Cup is ripe for Instant replay .. Too many botched calls.. It seems to me the officiating has been reliably BAD this World cup ...
Argentine vs Mexico was a case in point .. The goal was a shock to the Mexicans and they never regain their composure same with the American goal, the England goal , and many others ... I will continue to watch but I must say there is a bitter taste in my mouth about this edition of the World Cup ...

Frantz

That's all fine and well but the hell is wrong with the refs and their selection process?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's all fine and well but the hell is wrong with the refs and their selection process?

That's the 64,000 question. All of the refs I've seen (with a few exceptions) are completely unknown. FIFA needs to look at their Ref criteria situation...cause someone *ucked up! Regardless of that, FIFA needs to step up and implement other alternatives. It may not be IR or VR (although they have it).

I suggest goal judges at both ends and the introduction of 2 additional line judges, one for each half of the pitch on either side.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My team (The Netherlands) is about to kick-off against Brazil in about an hour. I've been on pins and needles all morning and I'm hoping for a win (obviously).

These teams are surprisingly evenly matched (to those that know football), and I truly beleive it's anyone's game for the taking.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
best of luck John

It should be a great game

Thanks Steve!

These teams have very similar styles...in fact, it's almost scary how alike they are. As such, I think the first half will be very slow and methodical with a lot of ball control. If a team breaks out with a goal within the first half I'd be surprised. Of course anything can happen. In the end the team with the biggest heart will win this potential blockbuster of a game.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well folks...we did it!

2-1 The Netherlands.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I guess we don't have many football fans here.

We came back from a come-behind goal and won the game, and I'm super pumped about it. We were better than Brazil today! They're gone home and we go on to the Semi-Finals!

Hup Holland Hup

John

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hey John

Congrats to Holland. Nice to see them make it.

Maradona trash talked Germany, we showed them, talk is cheap.
Argentina's defense was weak with a 4-0 pounding by the Germans.
Maradona's plan of attacking against German defense failed miserably.
The defence anchored by Bastian Schweinsteiger was solid.
Good game Deutschland !!
Lets see who is next.

Wonder if we will get a repeat of 74?

Mike

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Maradona has been a great player .. as a a coach, let's be charitable and say that he was inadequate ... Poor choice of personnel... Controversial to a fault .. The team could play by talent alone but lacked a cohesive game.. The man is a poor coach and his tenure will be , short...
The Brazilian lacked that sense of flair from the start.. Oh they were good and you could see the flash of Brilliance here and there but how can a coach not put Ronaldinho, who has recently been playing well, in the national team is beyond senseless ... Dunga will pay for this .. Some of his ideas (Team Defense, Control of the game, less free-lancing) were good but that should not have come at the expenses of what make Brazilian football great ... The spirit to treat it as an art, scoring a lot of goals .. in the meantime ...
Germany looked good from the start and now they seem to be ready to go all the way ..
The same EVERY World Cup with the Germans .. They would field a team of no-name or old mixed with absolutely unknown new names and reach with a metronome consistency the quarter finals or further ...
The Netherlands never looked that superior beating Brazil .. Their 2 goals in the match were sinful defensive lapses (Same for the Brazilian goal by the way) .. OTOH the Germans never showed any weaknesses anywhere in their game ... If the Netherlands were to face Germany.. Germany wins.. again ...

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think we'll see a Netherlands - Germany Final as well, and although Germany look mighty strong, don't count out the Dutch just yet. I truly beleive they will peak in the final and have every chance of finally bringing home the trophy.

John

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
So a report from South Africa. i was at the game last night (Ghana-Uraguay). it was a killer. all of Africa was supporting Ghana, i could go into all the ways they should have won, but that is why the game is played. tonight i was at the spain game, a real thriller. i would like to see Spain go through, they have the talent, but can't seem to get the rhythm that Germany has. impossible to say Germany has more talent than Spain but they are playing better. these team are all so good that it really depends who shows up each day. of interest to this group, i have a decibel app on my IPhone. last night at Soccer City the crowd was at a steady 97 to 98, only to be outdone on the opening match which was a steady 99 to 100 (more 100 than 99). unbelievably loud for an open stadium. the atmosphere here has been great and South Africa has been a wonderful host, i think it has changed many people's impression of Africa.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Today is the day folks!

The Netherlands vs Spain! I think it's anybody's game, but I'm rooting for my native land!

Hup Holland Hup

oranje_netherlan&#1.jpg

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So sorry John.

1-0 Spain.

I thought the Dutch outplayed Spain until the first overtime when Spain seemed to gain legs

BTW he looked offside to me.

I am really upset..I can't bare this anymore...'74, '78 and now this?

I am a very level-headed and fair person and will gratiously accept defeat (as I do now) and offer my hand to the Spanish players, but I cannot help and think that Mr. Howard Webb took the wind out of our sails and was much more determined to discipline Dutch players for infractions.

I will leave it that for now.

John

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
John

I was rooting for the Dutch as well .They need to win a World Cup, they deserve to win a World Cup.. Bad luck in 1974, stolen from them in 1978 but this year, they were outplayed. By the way the Kung-Fu kick from the Dutch player deserved immediate ejection, the referee was quite lenient on this occasion ...
I am not really pleased: all the teams I was rooting for went out but for football sake the better team won today...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing