Experience with overseas purchase

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hello Whatsbest community. I am a longtime lurker but infrequent poster, so I’m hoping that I am posting this question in the right forum and that my question is appropriate here. I am contemplating a pretty expensive purchase from the U.K.; a dealer named Midland Audio Exchange. I wonder if anyone has experience with this dealer that they are willing to share? I was planning to use a credit card for the purchase and DHL for shipping. Are there other/better ways?

I am an overseas buying virgin, so thanks in advance for your sharing of any knowledge or tips....

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
You can always try calling a few of the manufacturers of brands they carry for some feedback.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Buying expensive items from overseas is always a trust and confidence matter. Need to ask references on a public forum doesn't look to me to be good sign ...

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Microstrip,

The dealer seems reputable. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before the possibility of a purchase.... i.e., I wouldn't have gone so far as posting on a public forum if I didn't think the guy was in the ball park.

Thanks

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Whatsbest community. I am a longtime lurker but infrequent poster, so I’m hoping that I am posting this question in the right forum and that my question is appropriate here. I am contemplating a pretty expensive purchase from the U.K.; a dealer named Midland Audio Exchange. I wonder if anyone has experience with this dealer that they are willing to share? I was planning to use a credit card for the purchase and DHL for shipping. Are there other/better ways?

I am an overseas buying virgin, so thanks in advance for your sharing of any knowledge or tips....

Hi he is one of the big official dealers in the UK well established.

Reactions: XV-1

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks Tang and Bonzo....you guys are super helpful!

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Ovenmitt, you can get some competitive shipping quotes from interparcel or transflobalexpress. Their optional insurance policies run upto just £2k but you can also buy separate one off cover elsewhere.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
As above, well respected and proffesional.

Reactions: XV-1

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Midland Audio Exchange are reliable and reputable UK dealer.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Buying expensive items from overseas is always a trust and confidence matter. Need to ask references on a public forum doesn't look to me to be good sign ...

wrong I guess to state dealers don't look good based on nothing.

Even I downunder know that Midland audio is reputable, but better off local UK folks give their opinion based on facts.

Reactions: bonzo75

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Buying from an established Dealer from o/s would seem to carry less risk than buying used gear. I once bought a pair of used Infinity speakers from a Doctor from Texas named Larry Schwartz ('lwschwartz' on forums). The speakers had 'textor' repairs and a damaged grill with cigarette burns on the grille cloth (not mentioned in the ad). As the grills were unobtanium, I contacted the seller who even had the front to refer me to one of his friends selling Infinity parts (also from Texas) who claimed to pass on the proceeds to charity. This Charity guy also scammed me! I can't say I wasn't warned though...a guy on Audiokarma told me not to deal with a Doctor in Texas selling Infinity speakers. Hands down that was the worst experience I've had in 30 years in this hobby, and turned me off buying 2nd hand gear. (That same guy cautioned me about dealing with an EBay seller 'Magicmarksy').

My advice is just make sure you check the returns policy and read the fine print on shipping Insurance before pulling the trigger.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Buying from an established Dealer from o/s would seem to carry less risk than buying used gear. I once bought a pair of used Infinity speakers from a Doctor from Texas named Larry Schwartz ('lwschwartz' on forums). The speakers had 'textor' repairs and a damaged grill with cigarette burns on the grille cloth (not mentioned in the ad). As the grills were unobtanium, I contacted the seller who even had the front to refer me to one of his friends selling Infinity parts (also from Texas) who claimed to pass on the proceeds to charity. This Charity guy also scammed me! I can't say I wasn't warned though...a guy on Audiokarma told me not to deal with a Doctor in Texas selling Infinity speakers. Hands down that was the worst experience I've had in 30 years in this hobby, and turned me off buying 2nd hand gear. (That same guy cautioned me about dealing with an EBay seller 'Magicmarksy').

My advice is just make sure you check the returns policy and read the fine print on shipping Insurance before pulling the trigger.

Good point

Reactions: Bodhi

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I think Micro was just saying it in general on his personal opinion about buying from overseas, not implying any speculation on Midland Audio.

Kind regards,
Tang

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Your credit card will act as a guarantee if anything goes wrong, but
Midland Audio have been in business a long time in the uk, and whilst I haven’t dealt with him myself, I’ve not come across any disparaging comments, only favourable ones.
Hope this helps

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and information.... Greatly appreciated!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing