Event invitation: Yarlung Music Release event with Genesis - Studio City, CA.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bob Attiyeh is one of the finest recording engineers today, making minimalist audiophile recordings that transport you in space and time to when the musical performance occurred. His recording label, Yarlung Records has already won a Grammy and brings fresh musicians to Classical music and Jazz lovers worldwide. So, it is with great pleasure and honor that Genesis is sponsoring Yarlung's fifth quartet of high resolution DSD recordings.

We are holding a music release party to launch these four DSD titles. The quartet will feature:

• Nigel Armstrong on violin playing Bach, Bartok & Korngold (a violin concerto with Sir Neville Marriner conducting)
  • Frederic Rosselet on cello
  • Gerard Schwarz conducting the Smoke & Mirrors percussion ensemble - Takemitsu percussion concerto From Me Flows What You Call Time and a marimba transcription of one of the Rachmaninov vespers
  • and Kevin Fitz-Gerald and the Ysaye 3 - Brahms Sonata #3 in D Minor

In addition, we are celebrating Yarlung’s first 45 rpm vinyl pressing, Ciaramella Dances, from executive producer Elliot Midwood and the first vinyl pressing from Sophisticated Lady jazz quartet, from executive producers Ann & Bill Harmsen, before the album's release to the public.

Come meet the producers, recording engineers and musicians. The event will be in Studio City, CA.

• Friday, April 10th, 12 noon
  • Friday, April 10th, 6:30 pm
  • Saturday, April 11th, 11:30 am
  • Saturday, April 11th, 3 pm

I will also be there to demo the music with the Muse, the Genesis GR360 Series II power amp (recording engineer Bob Attiyeh uses Genesis amplifiers for his monitoring), my new Phono stage, and the Genesis G7.2f loudspeakers. Places are limited. If you can make it for these events, please RSVP via PM and I will put you in the invite list and send you the address.

Even if you can't make it to the event, go to the Yarlung website and pre-order the Ciaramella Dances on Moveable Ground. The LP is absolutely, fabulously stunning. The moment the needle hits the surface, you are transported in time and space to the recording venue. Imaging, sonics, everything is *6*-stars in my book. It's no surprise considering how short the recording chain to the record is - it was recorded on tape with no mixer. The lacquer was directly cut from the tape by Bernie Grundman, bypassing the board. No compression, no limiting, no nothing!!

Ciaramella Dances.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Smoke & Mirrors: Vanish

World class and sophisticated as this ensemble is, these musicians retain and communicate the sheer joy I experienced when banging pots and pans as a two- and three-year old. Do you remember your own pleasure making a racket as a kid? Smoke & Mirrors: Katalin La Favre, Jessica Cameron, Joe Beribak, Edward Hong and Derek Tywoniuk have never forgotten it.

We chose a single stereo AKG C24 microphone for the Rachmaninov track, and two U-47s and two C-12s for the Takemitsu concerto. Jon Fisher from Gearworks Pro Audio loaned us these precious microphones. Elliot Midwood designed our microphone preamplification equipment and we recorded directly to RMGI 468 tape for what Yarlung releases as “The SonoruS Series.” Mastering by Steve Hoffman.

We used the Hapi converter and Pyramix software from Merging Technologies in Switzerland to make these transfers to DSD.

Bob Attiyeh, producer
www.yarlungrecords.com

coverJared_YAR15195DSD2.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Petteri Iivonen: Art of the Sonata

This is the long-anticipated second recording featuring superstar Finnish violinist Petteri Iivonen, Canadian master pianist Kevin Fitz-Gerald and their special musical chemistry….

… the irresistible talent and solid musicianship of Petteri Iivonen in solo violin repertoire and in close partnership with Kevin Fitz-Gerald in key works for violin and piano. Once again, the magic occurs.

…we thrill to Iivonen’s beautifully contoured molding of some of the composer’s shapeliest melodies. Few accounts I have heard of this marvelous work for unaccompanied violin have been so successful in stressing its forward looking dynamism.
–Phil Muse, AVC Atlanta

While much of Petteri’s playing is exceptionally beautiful, he never tries to make the sound "pretty," I have heard very few violinist’s with Petteri’s ability to control color and timbre, and even fewer who use this ability for such musical and appropriate ends. For our recording Petteri plays a Ferdinandus Gagliano violin, built in 1767, kindly loaned to him by OKO Bank Art Foundation. Kevin plays New York Steinway serial number 567908.
--Bob Attiyeh, producer

coverJared_YAR76721DSD2.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nigel Armstrong

Hailed as “an astonishing talent, with exquisite technique”, Nigel Armstrong was born in Sonoma, California where he began playing the violin at the age of five. Nigel made his orchestra debut in 2002 as a soloist with the Baroque Sinfonia and has since performed concertos with the symphony orchestras in Dusseldorf, Oslo, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Buenos Aires among others. He served as concertmaster for the American Youth Symphony and The Colburn Orchestra when he was a student in Los Angeles.

As a soloist, Nigel remains a personal favorite of Sir Neville Marriner, who looks forward to his next performances with Nigel. After recording the Korngold concerto on this album, Sir Neville and Nigel gave three more performances of the work with orchestras in Europe.

Nigel won the Premio Tango prize at the first international violin competition in Buenos Aires, and the Ole Bull and Nordheim awards in Oslo. Nigel also took first place in the Boston Symphony Orchestra concerto competition. In Moscow in 2011, Nigel won Best Performance of the Commissioned Work by John Corigliano with Stomp and was the only American finalist in the Tchaikovsky International Violin Competition.

Mr. Armstrong was profiled in the cover story of the January/February issue of Teen Strings in 2007. He also appeared on NPR's acclaimed radio program "From the Top."

Though classical music is Mr. Armstrong's passion he also enjoys exploring different traditions of musical expression such as jazz, fiddle and tango.

coverJared_YAR65007DSD.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Frédéric Rosselet

Swiss ‘cellist Frédéric Rosselet plays subtly and athletically. He is not a performer who shows off at every opportunity; his is a higher aesthetic. The technical prowess you will hear on this recording rivals the great virtuosi and his recording is on a grand scale. He uses this skill tastefully and reservedly.

Frédéric plays two different 'cellos in this recording. A modern ‘cello, which he plays in the Ligeti, made about 130 years ago by a student of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume. For the Bach suite, Frédéric chose a glorious instrument configured as they would have been played in the Baroque era, without a peg, a lighter sound post on the interior of the instrument, gut strings and a Baroque bow.

Frédéric took First Place in Bach Solo Strings Competition & Thornton Concerto Competition with the Lutoslawski ‘cello concerto.

coverJared_YAR07498DSD.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
sounds nice...available on cd by any chance?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Reel?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Just ordered them. They're on the website.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
ordered!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
All available as dsd downloads ?

Very impressed with my 2 yarlung vinyl purchases

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
jfrech, Ciaramella Dances is now available for pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ciaramella-Mo...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1428080829&sr=1-1

This is Yarlung's first 45rpm pressing and it is fabulous!!!!! I got a pre-release copy. One of the best albums I have acquired over the past couple of years.

Steve, Yarlung tapes are available for $200 each, or $700 if you order the whole quartet. I am working with Yarlung to sponsor a further discount on the Genesis Quartet of tapes. But they aren't available on tape yet - may take some time before they are due to their release schedule.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I love doing shows at Elliot Midwood's Acoustic Image showroom precisely because it does something that most loudspeaker designers would hate. It makes the speakers disappear. In fact, the whole system disappears and the walls of the room melts away and a vast vista appears with musicians and their instruments solidly in space. Sometimes, I wonder if Elliot is secretly a Xyrillian and his listening room just a holodeck.

Speakers.jpg

The little Genesis 7.2f loudspeakers and the GR360 Series II Reference Amplifier. Once the lights went down and the music started, they disappeared into the ether.

The two Wavestream tube amps in front, on the other hand, were too heavy to go anywhere :)

Muse & Preamp.jpg

Genesis Muse and the Messenger preamp. Elliot is a tube guy, and all my solid-state stuff gave him a conniption. Well, at least the preamp is tube, where it matters.

Turntable & Phono.jpg

The wonderful Brinkmann Balance turntable. Despite the design being over 30 years old, it is still a solid performer. Elliot being Elliot, had the tube power supply driving it.

Below the Brinkmann, my all solid-state phono preamp. Elliot bought a brand new Air Tight PC-1 Supreme for the event.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing