Entreq Tellus grounding

If I may to deviate a little bit.
Review of the Powerus + Cleanus + Lynxfeet + AC Wraps, published on the Enreq website, makes an interesting observation:
"Entreq seems to smoothen the attack phase of the sound, to round it up a bit.
Doing so it eliminates many elements of the recording's or system's
sound signature that might be annoying – if necessary it eliminates
excessive brightness, some imperfections in treble articulation or in an
attack phase. In short, it introduces some tranquility, or serenity if you
will, to the sound."
Another quote from the same review:
"Another interesting finding – Swedish power system changed tonality of
my system – in short, it made it sound a bit darker"
WBF member Apexorca in post #25 from this very thread observed the following with
Silver Tellus and Silver Minimus:
"The presentation got more relaxed with slightly warmer sound from upper midrange an upwords, but it was nothing that made micro or makrodynamics reduced. My makrodynamic was at least the same and microdynamics got better.
Even texture of the instruments and voices got more detailed and felt more natural. "
Both comments refer to a similar change in tonal quality, which might be beneficial in many systems, my own included.
My question is- whether someone else here observed similar effects, and what those effects are likely attributed to- grounding boxes (Silver Tellus), power distribution (Powerus), AC filters (Cleanus), ot AC Wraps?
I'm planning an entrance into the Entreq, and trying to decide were to start. Above mentioned effects would be the most desirable for my system, along with everything else, that Entreq has to offer.

Review of the Powerus + Cleanus + Lynxfeet + AC Wraps, published on the Enreq website, makes an interesting observation:

will, to the sound."
WBF member Apexorca in post #25 from this very thread observed the following with
"The presentation got more relaxed with slightly warmer sound from upper midrange an upwords, but it was nothing that made micro or makrodynamics reduced. My makrodynamic was at least the same and microdynamics got better.
Even texture of the instruments and voices got more detailed and felt more natural. "
Both comments refer to a similar change in tonal quality, which might be beneficial in many systems, my own included.
My question is- whether someone else here observed similar effects, and what those effects are likely attributed to- grounding boxes (Silver Tellus), power distribution (Powerus), AC filters (Cleanus), ot AC Wraps?
I'm planning an entrance into the Entreq, and trying to decide were to start. Above mentioned effects would be the most desirable for my system, along with everything else, that Entreq has to offer.

I experience a lot of what you describe and I only use the silver Tellus and Atlantis grounding cables. I feel the biggest impact is at the main preamp inputs. I would start their first and try your phono stage next if applicable. I noticed that anything plugged into the main preamp benefits, including digital components. I have not tried their power products yet but do have some interest in trying chassis grounding via the Cleanus.

will, to the sound."

Maril, I have not heard the Powers or Cleanus that were the subject of the review you mention. But, as far as the Silver Tellus is concerned, in my system it did not round the attack or warm the sound or eliminate any excess brightness (which I did not have to start with). What it did in my system was to help the individual instrumental and vocal image stand against the background, separate from each other, while at the same time enhancing the differentiation (and hence the trueness) of timbres. In addition, the soundstage is greatly expanded. The musical presentation has become more vivid, acquiring a closer-to-lifelike energy, not more rounded or warmer.

Edit: If at all, I would say that, in my system, the ground box has impacted the decay of the notes more than the attack.

Last edited:
Reproducing music is a complex problem. Ohms law is important, but it does not account for every variable. What many are not considering is the concept of time distortion. Just like having ultra short signal paths in a component's design, it seams logical to have perfect virtual grounds as close to a component as possible, shortening reaction time. I suspect that in addition to lowering the noise floor, the Entreq system is more coherent*. A musical note only exists in time, taking a picture of it at one point in time is meaningless. A complex note consists of the initial attack, sustain and decay. The closer we can recreate the notes, the more realistic and convincing the playback. This is of course over simplification on my part and again my opinion.

Suggest you read this thread and the posts by Atmasphere (Ralph):
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1376746239&openflup&26&4#26

*Please explain.

BTW, if ultra short signal paths are better, why aren't you advising Entreq users to use shorter grounding cables than Entreq's standard 1.65m?

Suggest you read this thread and the posts by Atmasphere (Ralph):
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1376746239&openflup&26&4#26

*Please explain.

BTW, if ultra short signal paths are better, why aren't you advising Entreq users to use shorter grounding cables than Entreq's standard 1.65m?

Dan, do you really believe that the very different (and certainly top notch) electronics used by the people who have been posting enthusiastically about the effect of the Entreq and Tripoint ground boxes here and on other forums (such as AE) suffer from poor grounding schemes, as suggested by Atmasphere?

will, to the sound."

I can't comment on Cleanus and Powerus as I don't use them, but have used Silver Tellus,Atlantis box and Silver Minimus box, the last to ground my Entreq speaker cables. I also use Entreq i/cs and power cables.
I have never experienced any darkening effects from any of my Entreq products,I have benefitted from the noise floor virtually disappearing, a much improved natural quality to the sound, the greater intensity referred to by Lloyd and much improved instrumental placing and delineation.The PRAT factors I had had with the Naim 500 pre and power was reduced after moving to the Vitus SIA 025 but was restored on upgrading to the Apollo i/cs which have been a great buy.
I did try some HRS Nimbus couplers in place of Stillpoints and they definitely produced a much darker sound which I was not happy with and stuck to the Stillpoints. I did however keep the damping blocks on the Aspect AR8, DCS Puccini and U Clock which did give a more natural sound.
I get a natural, open and revealing sound from my system whereas the sound from Avalon Transcendent speakers I heard recently with very similar sources, cabling and Entreq grounding while good could not match the open qualities of my system or that of another Entreq grounded system with the Estelon XA speakers.
My advice would be to start with a Silver Tellus and Apollo or Atlantis ground cables, start with the amps/preamps and add the rest later, or if you can the sources too. One ST will take four leads, eight with an Atlantis box connected but running digial and analogue components to the same ST is not optimum and separate STs are generally better.
Experience on this thread all points to starting with the grounding boxes and there has been only limited feedback on the Cleanus and Powerus.
Hope that is helpful

Dan, do you really believe that the very different (and certainly top notch) electronics used by the people who have been posting enthusiastically about the effect of the Entreq and Tripoint ground boxes here and on other forums (such as AE) suffer from poor grounding schemes, as suggested by Atmasphere?

Domenico,

Until I get a chance to try one, I believe the following as suggested by Ralph:

If your component has a separate Signal and Safety Ground plane, the Entreq will not help as the stray voltage can’t loop or migrate into the signal plane. If your component has both planes tied together for reference then the Entreq might help.

If your earth ground it is equal to or lower than the Entreq’s impedance, thes tray voltages may see the ground rod as the lower impedance and migrate to it. In which case, the Enteq would seem relatively ineffective at providing any improvement.

If your ground rod lies at a high impedance, the Entreq might help

So, if your signal and ground plane are tied and your ground rod has high impedance, this is where the Entreq has the potential for the most improvement.

I haven't heard yours or anyone else's system that has enthusiastically posted about the effect of the Entreq and Tripoint ground boxes. Since none of you have identified if your components have a separate Signal and Safety Ground planes, or measured the impedance of your earth ground or the grounding boxes, I'll stick with Ralph.

Dmnc02,

You are close to real reason why the Entreq operates wonders in most excellent systems. Although these excellent systems have competent conventional grounding schemes, the Entreq grounding system is far ahead of these old requirements. In his excellent text book "Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference" (2007) Ralph Morrison - the author of the classic "Grounding and shielding techniques in instrumentation" I still keep in my bookshelf - warns us:

(...) Circuits built this way in the past have worked, so why make changes? Taking things for granted is not always good engineering. Note that digital
clock rates have changed from 1 MHz to 1 GHz in 20 years. That is three orders of magnitude! Imagine what would happen if automobile speeds went up
one order of magnitude. That is 600 mph or jet aircraft speed. Even a modest increase in automobile speed would require extensive changes to the design
of our roads and cities, not to mention extensive driver training.

In electronics, an increase in speed does not pose a safety hazard. There are, however, differences in performance that should be understood. Often
an effect is not sensed until the next generation in design is introduced.
Understanding these effects requires an understanding of basic principles. The
details we will look into do not appear on a circuit or schematic.

Circuit theory allows us to relate circuit voltages and the flow of current in a group of interconnected components. For RLC networks (Resistor-Inductor-Capacitor) this analysis is straightforward using Kirkkhoff’s laws. The processes I want to discuss do not involve this approach. To understand the more subtle aspects of circuit performance we will use basic physics to explain many details that are often left to chance. Our starting point may seem a bit remote, but please read on. We first discuss the atom.
(...)

BTW, my special thanks to Mike Lavigne. I was very confused about the possibility of the Entreq grounding stations really affecting sound quality. It was his conviction, and specially his systematic reports, as well as those of other brave members of WBF who reported on the differences between copper and silver grounding wires that forced me to re-think these issues from a different perspective and go back to the old books. And yes, for grounding purposes silver can be much better than copper ...

Domenico,

Until I get a chance to try one, I believe the following as suggested by Ralph:

If your component has a separate Signal and Safety Ground plane, the Entreq will not help as the stray voltage can’t loop or migrate into the signal plane. If your component has both planes tied together for reference then the Entreq might help.

If your earth ground it is equal to or lower than the Entreq’s impedance, thes tray voltages may see the ground rod as the lower impedance and migrate to it. In which case, the Enteq would seem relatively ineffective at providing any improvement.

If your ground rod lies at a high impedance, the Entreq might help

So, if your signal and ground plane are tied and your ground rod has high impedance, this is where the Entreq has the potential for the most improvement.

I haven't heard yours or anyone else's system that has enthusiastically posted about the effect of the Entreq and Tripoint ground boxes. Since none of you have identified if your components have a separate Signal and Safety Ground planes, or measured the impedance of your earth ground or the grounding boxes, I'll stick with Ralph.

So your logical conclusion based on your belief and on what people have been reporting should be that: (1) most components, even in the very top tier, have their signal and ground planes tied together at some point, and (2) even in systems using multiple dedicated ground rods, the ground impedance is at a level such that the Entreq ground box can still bring an improvement.

Do you have any reason to believe that your components and system are different?

Dmnc02,

You are close to real reason why the Entreq operates wonders in most excellent systems. Although these excellent systems have competent conventional grounding schemes, the Entreq grounding system is far ahead of these old requirements. In his excellent text book "Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference" (2007) Ralph Morrison - the author of the classic "Grounding and shielding techniques in instrumentation" I still keep in my bookshelf - warns us:

(...) Circuits built this way in the past have worked, so why make changes? Taking things for granted is not always good engineering. Note that digital
clock rates have changed from 1 MHz to 1 GHz in 20 years. That is three orders of magnitude! Imagine what would happen if automobile speeds went up
one order of magnitude. That is 600 mph or jet aircraft speed. Even a modest increase in automobile speed would require extensive changes to the design
of our roads and cities, not to mention extensive driver training.

In electronics, an increase in speed does not pose a safety hazard. There are, however, differences in performance that should be understood. Often
an effect is not sensed until the next generation in design is introduced.
Understanding these effects requires an understanding of basic principles. The
details we will look into do not appear on a circuit or schematic.

Circuit theory allows us to relate circuit voltages and the flow of current in a group of interconnected components. For RLC networks (Resistor-Inductor-Capacitor) this analysis is straightforward using Kirkkhoff’s laws. The processes I want to discuss do not involve this approach. To understand the more subtle aspects of circuit performance we will use basic physics to explain many details that are often left to chance. Our starting point may seem a bit remote, but please read on. We first discuss the atom.
(...)

BTW, my special thanks to Mike Lavigne. I was very confused about the possibility of the Entreq grounding stations really affecting sound quality. It was his conviction, and specially his systematic reports, as well as those of other brave members of WBF who reported on the differences between copper and silver grounding wires that forced me to re-think these issues from a different perspective and go back to the old books. And yes, for grounding purposes silver can be much better than copper ...

Micro, that is an interesting quotation. I have no problem believing that there are many complex factors that affect the design of grounding schemes for modern audio equipment and that a simple measurement (such as impedance to ground) is going to be useless in assessing whether or not ground boxes have the potential of being beneficial in one's systems. Ultimately, when the theory gets too complex, I find it much easier to rely on empirical evidence (my ears) :)

Micro, that is an interesting quotation. I have no problem believing that there are many complex factors that affect the design of grounding schemes for modern audio equipment and that a simple measurement (such as impedance to ground) is going to be useless in assessing whether or not ground boxes have the potential of being beneficial in one's systems. Ultimately, when the theory gets too complex, I find it much easier to rely on empirical evidence (my ears) :)

Just one detail - impedance to ground measured in your listening room is not simple measurement when we are addressing RFI. Measurements are always very simple when you ignore the real problems. ;) We are not debating ground loops or protective grounds. BTW, Ralph advice is valid mostly for his high bandwidth, feedback free and really balanced tubed equipment. Other techniques and topologies have different sensitivities to RFI. Although we should always use measurements as far as we can when there is a proper one to be carried, for this specif purpose you must rely on your ears, as you said.

An example - in order to get symmetrical distance from my speakers I use a laser meter, not my eyes. In order to get symmetrical toe-in I use REW and pink noise, looking for equal equal spectra from left and right speaker, as well as high frequency ending slope. However to position my chair for best sound quality I must use my ears!

Just one detail - impedance to ground measured in your listening room is not simple measurement when we are addressing RFI. Measurements are always very simple when you ignore the real problems. ;) We are not debating ground loops or protective grounds. BTW, Ralph advice is valid mostly for his high bandwidth, feedback free and really balanced tubed equipment. Other techniques and topologies have different sensitivities to RFI. Although we should always use measurements as far as we can when there is a proper one to be carried, for this specif purpose you must rely on your ears, as you said.

An example - in order to get symmetrical distance from my speakers I use a laser meter, not my eyes. In order to get symmetrical toe-in I use REW and pink noise, looking for equal equal spectra from left and right speaker, as well as high frequency ending slope. However to position my chair for best sound quality I must use my ears!

Entirely agreed. I do exactly the same, making full use of measurements whenever possible. Distance, rake and toe in for my speakers have been adjusted with a dedicated laser tool designed by the manufacturer, the built-in bass equalization has been set using a computer measurement system (Omnimic) and every standard parameter of my room has been measured. But there is only so far you can go with measurements ...

So your logical conclusion based on your belief and on what people have been reporting should be that: (1) most components, even in the very top tier, have their signal and ground planes tied together at some point, and (2) even in systems using multiple dedicated ground rods, the ground impedance is at a level such that the Entreq ground box can still bring an improvement.

Do you have any reason to believe that your components and system are different?

And how the hell are we supposed to know whether the signal and earth grounds are tied in a given component ? We are all not electrical engineers. This whole theory issue is ridiculous....for two reasons:
1) the person with the theory has zero experience with the grounding gear in question and how it sounds in a hi Fi system.
2) I can clearly hear the change (for the better) in my system. I know how my system sounds...more than anyone on the planet...I live and breath with it everyday. When I make a system change, I can hear it for better or for worse. In this case, for the better.

Will Entreq gear make every system sound better ? I have know idea. That is why it's worth the effort for a demo if you care about finding out whether you are getting the best from your system or not.

(1) Yes. Key words - "at some point." The "very top tier" component may not have its signal and ground planes tied together, but if it's connect to another component in the system that does....bingo.
(2) Yes, even with multiple ground rods, if the ground resistance is high, the Entreq ground boxes might help.

I know my some of my components' signal and ground planes are tied together (I own a multimeter). That why I've hired an electrian to measure the resistance on my single ground rod and install two more. Total cost under $200. US.

Last edited:
(1) Yes. Key words - "at some point." The "very top tier" component may not have its signal and ground planes tied together, but if it's connect to another component in the system that does....bingo.
(2) Yes, even with multiple ground rods, if the ground impedance is high, the Entreq ground boxes might help.

I know my some of my components' signal and ground planes are tied together (I own a multimeter). That why I've hired an electrian to measure the resistance on my single ground rod and install two more. Total cost under $200. US.

It seems to me you are still wasting your time measuring resistance (BTW, wasn't it impedance?), since you do not know if indeed there a critical level below which the Entreq won't help and, if so, what it is.

In any case, my friend who has 24 ground rods has received his Silver Tellus today. I will report the outcome in his system.

Edit: I see you have edited your post above to replace "impedance" with "resistance", but then you should edit your earlier posts as well (such as #799): it looks like even you do not know what to measure :)

Last edited:
It seems to me you are still wasting your time measuring resistance (BTW, wasn't it impedance?), since you do not know if indeed there a critical level below which the Entreq won't help and, if so, what it is.

In any case, my friend who has 24 ground rods has received his Silver Tellus today. I will report the outcome in his system.

Edit: I see you have edited your post above to replace "impedance" with "resistance", but then you should edit your earlier posts as well (such as #799): it looks like even you do not know what to measure :)

I am no techie and have said so often. I have Entreq wraps which provide emi/rfi shielding, and Entreq REceivus which act as some kind of antenna for emi/rfi...both have drains to connect to the grounding box (dumping down into the grounding box?...again, a non-techie). I suppose the question is what IS the Tripoint/Entreq stuff actually removing? i am told it helps balance impedance across the system as well? i do NOT think either was ever meant to act as a safety ground.

i know what i hear...results i can hear are what matter...but from a learning/understanding perspective, curious to understand a bit more.

And how the hell are we supposed to know whether the signal and earth grounds are tied in a given component ? We are all not electrical engineers. This whole theory issue is ridiculous....for two reasons:
1) the person with the theory has zero experience with the grounding gear in question and how it sounds in a hi Fi system.
2) I can clearly hear the change (for the better) in my system. I know how my system sounds...more than anyone on the planet...I live and breath with it everyday. When I make a system change, I can hear it for better or for worse. In this case, for the better.

Will Entreq gear make every system sound better ? I have know idea. That is why it's worth the effort for a demo if you care about finding out whether you are getting the best from your system or not.

Just to add this is even made more complex as most in audio hobby use RCA-Phono/unbalanced and the cable shield is also the signal reference.

Cheers
Orb

One of the best answers I saw ages ago on DIYAudio is by gootee:
gootee on DIYaudio said:
The signal input 'ground' should not really be thought of as a ground. It is only the reference voltage for the input signal.

Typically, the signal input 'ground' is NOT connected to the chassis at the point of entry (use insulated RCA jacks), and is only connected directly to the signal ground reference point in the input stage. From there, there should be a separate signal ground-return path, all the way to the main 'star ground' point (where all of the separate ground returns meet at only one point).

The input signal ground reference point might also include a feedback divider ground and a lowpass RF filter ground, and a highpass DC-blocking filter ground. The signal input reference ground's star-ground-return path could also include an optional 'ground separator' resistor of a few ohms, which should not be needed if the whole grounding scheme is ideal.

A star ground scheme is used because any ground return current, flowing through the parasitic resistance and inductance of a ground-return conductor (wire or PCB trace), induces a voltage back at the non-ground end of the ground-return conductor. Large dynamic return currents sharing the input signal's ground return, for example, would cause a changing input ground reference point voltage, which would directly sum with the input signal voltage, which could cause distortion or hum. It would also be another form of feedback, and could cause other problems, or even oscillation. Usually, at least the signal ground, the power/decoupling ground, and the output ground should have separate return paths, probably for each stage.

The only connection of any circuit ground to the chassis should be through the single connection from the star ground point to the chassis. This is often done through a 'safety disconnect' network, i.e. a 10 to 100 Ohm power resistor, a 0.1uF or so capacitor, and a hefty rectifier bridge, all in parallel from the star ground point to the chassis. Instead of a bridge, two high-current anti-parallel diodes could be used. (When the disconnect network is not connected to the chassis, an ohmmeter should show an open circuit between any circuit ground point and the chassis.)

Note that the chassis should always be connected to Earth Ground, using a mechanical connection (i.e. not solder, or at least not mainly solder).

Do some searches for 'star ground', to get more information about this important subject.
This diyaudio article goes into a lot of detail but can skim by reading the beginning and the end: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...udio-component-grounding-interconnection.html
Should had linked that awhile ago but thought it had already.
Cheers
Orb

(2) Yes, even with multiple ground rods, if the ground resistance is high, the Entreq ground boxes might help.

Excellent. A little time reading the internet and you are now an expert in grounding apparatus. It seems all we need is a few thumb rules, known since long to avoid ground loops, and a multimeter.

You should be happy you have a good ground - it means you are safe and it will not harm your system. But we are debating RFI interference, a much more complicated business.

BTW, I am posting a few lines of a document by Middle Atlantic Products, that we debated in WBF some years ago. Perhaps you should call your electrician to remove the extra ground rods, and replace the original with a single better one.

The Definition of “Ground”

There are several meanings of the word “ground,” which contributes to confusion and misunderstanding. Most commonly, ground refers to a return path for current. In electrical utility power, ground refers to a return path for current. In electrical utility power, ground is an actual connection to soil for the primary purpose of lightning protection. Building safety grounds provide a return path specifically for fault current. The safety ground for audio, video, and other electronic systems must be designed to work in conjunction with the building (facility) safety ground.

HOT TIP: For proper operation of AV equipment, all safety grounds for the electronic system must terminate at only one point.

Proper Grounding

Proper grounding reduces only ONE potential source of noise. Best practices of food signal path design include good cable management (keeping signal cables more than 2” away from AC wires when run parallel) and twisting signal conductors. It is permissible to strap signal cables to power cables if the conductors of both cables are twisted tightly and evenly. Both the primary electrical system grounds and the signal interconnection system grounds need to be properly designed and installed to achieve a “noise free” system. Safety ground connections that are loose or corroded may cause hazardous conditions and system noise.

Isolated Ground

An isolated ground is also referred to as a “technical ground” or “isolated single-point ground.” Equipment that is connected to an “isolated ground” system is still grounded, but the source of the ground connection is ONLY at the main circuit breaker panel or at the first panel after a transformer. This isolated grounding conductor must be insulated. It may be spliced when passing through sub-panels or junction boxes, but must not be terminated in them.

Ground Rods

Do not create multiple ground paths by using additional ground rods. Ground only where required for safety. Any additional grounds may provide or create additional paths for ground loops and will most likely increase system noise. Using more ground rods will NOT result in quieter systems.

Last edited:
One of the best answers I saw ages ago on DIYAudio is by gootee:
This diyaudio article goes into a lot of detail but can skim by reading the beginning and the end: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...udio-component-grounding-interconnection.html
Should had linked that awhile ago but thought it had already.
Cheers
Orb

Orb,

Just a quick post to remember that some solutions for a "safety disconnect network " described in your post can be illegal in some countries when used in domestic equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing