I'm looking for my 'endgame' monoblocks (would work best with my cabling) to power big Apogees but I'm at the point of choosing by eye rather than by ears thinking there aren't many (if any) truly bad amps in the €25k used market.
Repairability and reliability are very important, speaking from experience with expensive audio gear.
I especially look for good MF/HF resolution and punchy, tight lows. I have 2 preamps available a Gryphon Zena and No.326s but will be keeping the Gryphon
What would you think about the following?
- McIntosh MC1.25kW, 'legendary' brand but seems to have a lot of strongly biased users, on both sides. Can be had way under the budget and almost new so should be hassle free
- Pass X600.8, still pretty young, shouldn't need servicing anytime soon, well reviewed
- D'Agostino M550's, 3 years old, gorgeous looks however a bit disappointing on the inside
- MSB M203, unknown serviceability, no option to listen before buying.
- Big Krells, probably all well due for a recap?
I'd rather not want to buy pure class A gear as every amp class A I've bought in the past was already crusty as a sin (caps/solder joints) and they got scorching hot.