Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Folks,

Another great recording to add to one's collection: Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 in F Minor, Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasia, Russian National Orchestra, conducted by Mikhail Pletnev (PentaTone SACD)!

Wow, these are amazing, passionate, powerful, thrilling and compelling (subtle and finely detailed) performances! My EMM Labs DV2 was able to reproduce effortlessly everything recorded here and with great fidelity! However, I noticed that I need to play it loud to achieve this level of performance.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Some that I’m enjoying on the EMM DA2V2 are:

BBC Music, Volume 2, Number 9: Rimsky-Korsakov: The Golden Cockerel, Capriccio Espagnol / Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition, Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky, Wesendonick Songs, Scenes from the GotterdammWrung by BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Tadaaki Otaka

BBC Music, Volume 3, Number 7: Anne Evans sings Wagner at the 1994 Proms by Richard Wagner. BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Mark Wigglesworth.

BBC Music, Volume 2, Number 12: Symphony no. 10, Mahler, by Deryck Cooke.

BBC Music, Volume 3, Number 3: Symphony no. 2 in E minor, op. 27, Rachmaninov, by BBC Philharmonic directed by Edward Downes.

BBC Music (Vol 3, Num 6: Syms 2 & 4), BBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Tippett.

BBC Music, Volume 3, Number 2: Brahms: Clarinet Sonatas / Vaughan Williams: Six Studies / Milhaud: Duo Concertant, by Jonathan Cohler

BBC Music, Volume 3, Number 5: Purcell: Dido and Aeneas, conducted by Andrew Parrott.

Beethoven 9th Symphony (Discs 1-6) Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, Gardiner.

Chopin Piano Favorites, Sonata NO 2, Ballade NO 4, Nocturne.

Goldberg-Variationen (Discs 1-2), J.S. Bach, by Daniel Barenboim.

EMM brings you to the venue. No need for a plane ticket, when you can travel the world with the DA2V2 DAC.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Received the remote controls

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

If you are into audiophile recordings, listen to this one: STOCKHOLM GUITAR QUARTET - A UNIQUE CLASSICAL GUITAR COLLECTION, Opus SACD. Listen especially to Johann Sebastian Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, track 1. Allegro and Brandenburg Concerto No. 6, track 11. Allegro, track 12. Adagio ma non troppo and track 13. Allegro. Via my EMM Labs DV2, I can distinctly hear four guitars, especially built for four different registers – soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Its differing timbres were beautifully captured. The recording has great details and immediacy.

Reactions: Audire

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi folks,

Another recommendation: Vivaldi The 4 Seasons, Richard Tognetti, Australian Chamber Orchestra, BIS SACD. Okay, you may not need another Four Seasons, but this is a terrific performance and recording. The Australian Chamber Orchestra is recognized worldwide for their virtuosity and energy. Play loud and you will not be disappointed. Via my sound system the recording sounded real and up-close!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Allow me to recommend yet another great recording: PROKOFIEV: Symphony No. 5 in B flat Op. 100; Ode to the End of the War Op. 105 – Russian National Orchestra/ Vladimir Jurowski – PentaTone Classics SACD.

The session was recorded live in the Grand Hall of the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory using EMM Labs DSD AD converter. The recording is superb! Excellent transparency, accurate instrumental timbre, superb dynamics and details, drum has great impact and clarity. Superlative playing by the RNO! Play loud.

Reactions: marty

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018

For lover of a cappella music, listen to this: The Little Match Girl Passion, Theatre of Voices, Ars Nova Copenhagen, Paul Hillier. Music by David Lang. Harmonia Mundi SACD. Winner of the 2008 Pulitzer Prize and Grammy Award Winner 2010. The sound of this disc is breathtaking, icily beautiful, vibrant, present and life-like. Via my sound system, the drum in the little match girl passion sounded solid, tight, resonant. The hand bell has a clear, perfectly pure and ringing tone!

Reactions: simorag and marty

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Hi Folks,

Another great recording to add to one's collection: Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 in F Minor, Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasia, Russian National Orchestra, conducted by Mikhail Pletnev (PentaTone SACD)!

Wow, these are amazing, passionate, powerful, thrilling and compelling (subtle and finely detailed) performances! My EMM Labs DV2 was able to reproduce effortlessly everything recorded here and with great fidelity! However, I noticed that I need to play it loud to achieve this level of performance.
Just bought it after experiencing your earlier PentaTone Pletnev Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 recommendation - a true reference orchestral SACD (and I have Pletnev's excellent earlier Virgin CD version to compare it to).

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

This is one 'hot' disc to test the level of self noise of your sound system: Tchaikovsky: Souvenir de Florence and Serenade for Strings, Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Marco Boni. (PentaTone SACD. Recorded in DSD, using EMM Labs DSD AD converter)

Previously, before all the upgrades (including resonance control, grounding, etc.), I found this close-mic recording of orchestral strings "too hot to touch,' i.e. gritty or grainy. However, today, I gave it a relisten and the gritty sound disappeared! I am now able to enjoy these passionate performances, especially the Souvenir de Florence. The intimacy of the piece is maintained here by a modest complement of strings: Six first violins, six second violins, four violas, four cellos, and one double bass. The recording is very detailed, very dynamic, and 'presence'. The playing is top-notch. You won't be disappointed.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi folks,

For those who love the sound of the Steinway Concert Grand, buy this SACD: Frederic Chopin - Piano Sonata No. 2, Op. 35, Ballade No. 1, 2, 3, and 4, Fantaisie Op. 49, Angela Brownridge, piano, Challenge Classics SACD. Perfect sound forever!

A powerful performance by Angela Brownridge (a tigress of the keyboard), played with great clarity and stunningly beautiful tone. Electrifying!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi folks,

Buy this new enthralling recording: Ravel - La valse; Ma mère L’Oye; Boléro; Alborada del gracioso; Pavane pour une infante de?funte; Valses nobles et sentimentales, Sinfonia of London/John Wilson, Chandos CHSA 5280 (SACD) 83:45 mins

Startlingly sweet, clear, lifelike, dazzling, and atmospheric! The woodwinds sounded so pure and airy and heavenly, the brass so brassy, and the strings so heartbreaking. Listen to especially 'Ma mère L'Oye'! Wilson and the Sinfonia of London set the scores alight with color and texture.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Some of the most beautiful music you will ever hear is by Eva Cassidy on her album “Accoustic.” Of course, all her records and CDs are excellent.

EMM does an excellent job of reproducing Eva’s heavenly voice. With the right speakers you’ll be at the venue hearing everything (including a soundstage to die for) that you could ever imagine.

She’s one of the best singers out there even two decades after her death at age 33.

664E9DC5-FFF6-407C-BE84-7719B9911885.jpeg

john925

May 3, 2013
hi,

What preamp do you use with DA2 V2 or DV2? I'm using Mola Mola Makua, but wondering if a tube pre an improvement? Or what solid pre you've heard that match well with DA2 V2/DV2?

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
hi,

What preamp do you use with DA2 V2 or DV2? I'm using Mola Mola Makua, but wondering if a tube pre an improvement? Or what solid pre you've heard that match well with DA2 V2/DV2?
Hi John,

Audire is using the EMM Labs Pre Reference which is among the best preamp regardless of price. For myself, I am using the VControl of the EMM Labs DV2. I found the VControl to be totally transparent only at or below - 25dB of the maximum volume.

I think adding a tube preamp will add distortions, regardless of whether the distortions are euphonic or not, and will not contribute to accurate sound.

Last edited:

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
hi,

I’m using the Conrad Johnson GATs2 preamp with the DA2V2. However, the synergy between pre and power amps are also important if not more important.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
IMO, the DA2 V2 needs an excellent Pre. It can transform one’s system. This said, a tube Pre may work well with the EMM. But I’ve never heard that combo and Yuen makes an excellent point above as well.

In our initial tests with the DA2 V2 we had a Pass XP-22. That combined with the Pass 260.8 amps has a tube like presence. The Pass did an excellent job with the DA2 V2, the sound was wonderful. But since we had the EMM PRE on loan as well we switched to it. WOW!!! The change was noticed immediately. The synergy between the EMM DA2 V2 and the EMM PRE is absolutely transformational. The music is so very engaging. There was more meat on the bones with the EMM PRE.

We did an evaluation against the MSB Select II (here). The Select has its own built in Pre Amp module. The MSB Select II is wonderful. Though I could have lived with either, at the end of the day we choose the EMM DA2 V2 + EMM PRE. The combo is magical.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I agree with Yuen. I don't think a Tube Pre would compliment MTRX2 or MTRX1? I would be cautious with a tube being paired with these amps. I would be afraid the tube presentation would counter what these amps do so well. Too homogenized, I think you would be masking the sonic attributes these amps present. I ran the MTRX2/s directly from the DV2, that was unreal! But I agree with Joe a good pre is a must. Circumstances didn't present the EMM's pre to be in the mix. I think it would have refined and elevated things further....John

Reactions: Yuen A. and Audire

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
I agree with Yuen. I don't think a Tube Pre would compliment MTRX2 or MTRX1? I would be cautious with a tube being paired with these amps. I would be afraid the tube presentation would counter what these amps do so well. Too homogenized, I think you would be masking the sonic attributes these amps present. I ran the MTRX2/s directly from the DV2, that was unreal! But I agree with Joe a good pre is a must. Circumstances didn't present the EMM's pre to be in the mix. I think it would have refined and elevated things further....John
If the power amp is either the MTRX1 or 2, the EMM pre or DV2 is of course the most appropriate and natural choice

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Get this new SACD: JS Bach, Violin Sonatas & Partitas, Vol. 1: Sonata No. 2; Partitas Nos 2 & 3, Frank Peter Zimmermann (violin), BIS BIS-2577 (SACD)

Zimmermann's performances here are one of the most impressive, soulful and virtuosic. The recordings are resonant, pure and have an abundant of illuminating textures.

john925

May 3, 2013
hi guys,

Thanks for all the inputs. I use three Luxman M-900u for Biamp. I found Makua Pre and Luxman a good combo until I had DA2 V2, because of the improvement brought from the addition of DA2 V2, I thought, maybe I'm wrong, the rest of the system might need an upgrade, too. So far, I have no issue to stay with Makua as pre, but would like to hear from you since most of you own DA2 V2/DV2 longer than I do.

Audire, thanks for mentioning the Pass XP22 and EMM Pre, I would try to find if I have a chance to know more about them.
tonytsui, thanks for mentioning Conrad Johnson GATs2. I've considered tube pre such as Zanden 3000 or EAR912, but I am also open to other brands.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing