Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I am now listening to Ning Feng's Hello Mr. Paganini (Channel of China SACD). Wow, his recorded violin playing sounded so real and tangible via my sound system! I dare say that the EMM Labs DV2 has the best transient / dynamic performance of any DAC regardless of price! But of course the rest of your equipment must be top notch as well.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I'm using Meitner's own word in describing this particular remote control

Congrats. It sounds as if your dilemma is solved. Very gracious of EMM to offer you a free remote!

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Congrats. It sounds as if your dilemma is solved. Very gracious of EMM to offer you a free remote!

Yes, they are offering to give me a free TSDX remote. I asked if they can also sell me the simplified DA2 remote. They quoted me at $250, which I think is reasonable as I remember I paid $600 for a small plastic thingy for the ELP Laser Turntable back in 2012.

Reactions: Audire

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Audire, I thought a splitter would work too. I think I enquired about this with EMM? Lots of of audio stuff floating in my brain, I think it was something about a "low signal" preventing one from doing this? I could be wrong? You should call John and ask if he has a Demo NS1. Its an easy shipment. I would love to hear your take in comparing Aurender/NS1. I know people who have done this side by side comparison. They were shocked at the streaming quality (speed) of NS1/DV2,DA2. It is so good that it gives me pause when I make the next step to Taiko. Downside with this combo, only limited to DSD 64 (which still sounds fantastic) no storage, (I'm using Nucleus) I then have to go to USB, No MQA, not that I really care about that, but I'm certain the Taiko will blow me away. As indicated the M12 Gold Switch does propel everything further, I also had a company make me a more substantial opti-link cable, but on its own its still pretty damn good.

Reactions: Yuen A. and Audire

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Audire, I thought a splitter would work too. I think I enquired about this with EMM? Lots of of audio stuff floating in my brain, I think it was something about a "low signal" preventing one from doing this? I could be wrong? You should call John and ask if he has a Demo NS1. Its an easy shipment. I would love to hear your take in comparing Aurender/NS1. I know people who have done this side by side comparison. They were shocked at the streaming quality (speed) of NS1/DV2,DA2. It is so good that it gives me pause when I make the next step to Taiko. Downside with this combo, only limited to DSD 64 (which still sounds fantastic) no storage, (I'm using Nucleus) I then have to go to USB, No MQA, not that I really care about that, but I'm certain the Taiko will blow me away. As indicated the M12 Gold Switch does propel everything further, I also had a company make me a more substantial opti-link cable, but on its own its still pretty damn good.
Hi guys,

Regarding optical splitter, basically, in one direction it splits the signal into 2 parts to couple to two fibers. If the split is equal, each fiber will carry a signal that is 3dB less than the input (3dB being a factor of two) plus some excess loss in the coupler and perhaps the connectors on the splitter module.

Also, I believed you need a mirror to split it and the quality of the mirror play an important role.

If providing two optical outputs would result in some degradation of sound quality, I would not want it!

Reactions: tonytsui

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Yuen that is what I have gathered. You explained it with a much better technical explanation. As noted 2 optical would have been a much better design. I would NOT attempt this either!

john925

May 3, 2013
hi all,

I just have a DA2 V2 into my system. And I'm astonished by the sound playback quality. So real, the attack of guitar and the body are way better than I expect. However, I'm wondering if anyone of you replace the feet of DA2 V2? I have some experience that some feet could elevate playback quality.

John

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I placed Iso-Acoustics under each foot Orea Indigo. I didn't remove the existing feet. I also have custom made concrete shelves, that I made, very heavy. Same technique as making concrete counter tops. So this also contributes.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
hi all,

I just have a DA2 V2 into my system. And I'm astonished by the sound playback quality. So real, the attack of guitar and the body are way better than I expect. However, I'm wondering if anyone of you replace the feet of DA2 V2? I have some experience that some feet could elevate playback quality.

John

Hi John,

I am currently using the Ansuz Acoustics Darkz D-TC resonance control footers. They are essential to fully realized the potential of your DA2 V2. I recommend the Stillpoints Ultra 6 V2 footers.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Yuen, I'll play around to see if things can further improve. I believe I have reached the DV2's full potential in regards to placement. I also love the DV2's presentation. My shelves are 2" thick concrete X 24 X 24. They sit on custom brackets with gussets. I also decoupled the steel so the shelf doesn't just sit on steel. I live in a log home so the walls are 6" thick, no studs! The brackets are lagged into the wall. You could literally stand on the shelf and jump up and down without any give or movement. The Mephisto sits on the floor with a 4" X 30 X 24 slab with 1/2" CORK adhered to the bottom. When I order Taiko it will also sit on a similar slab, just a little smaller in size. All The Best...

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Yuen, I'll play around to see if things can further improve. I believe I have reached the DV2's full potential in regards to placement. I also love the DV2's presentation. My shelves are 2" thick concrete X 24 X 24. They sit on custom brackets with gussets. I also decoupled the steel so the shelf doesn't just sit on steel. I live in a log home so the walls are 6" thick, no studs! The brackets are lagged into the wall. You could literally stand on the shelf and jump up and down without any give or movement. The Mephisto sits on the floor with a 4" X 30 X 24 slab with 1/2" CORK adhered to the bottom. When I order Taiko it will also sit on a similar slab, just a little smaller in size. All The Best...

Hi John,

Airborne vibrations and internal vibrations (generated within the component itself) can have an adverse impact on the performance of all audio equipment. Therefore it is advisable to use an energy conversion product that convert mechanical vibrations/energy to heat.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I have had excellent results using the Critical Mass Center Stage2 footers under my DV2.

Reactions: Yuen A. and Audire

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Gfroman Thanks for the additional tips with Critical Mass. On a different note did you upgrade your optilink Cable? I did its a much more substantial cable than the stock cable. The company I used was Lifatech in Syracuse NY, 4' length was under 200.00 and well worth it. Also very nice people. Typically they make optical cables for medical equipment. They can provide the proper termination for DV2/NS1.

Reactions: gfroman

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
John, I too am using the Lifatech optical cable.
Would love to try the Aural Symphonics cable, but the price is just ridiculous!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
gfroman, can't imagine the Aural Symphonics to be any better? Afraid to ask how much are they asking? Okay, how Much? The NS1/DV2 work extremely well together. I eventually will purchase Taiko. The NS1/DV2 sets a high bar. Yes it is limited to DSD 64, but It does a fine job streaming. As indicated in an earlier post the M12 Gold switch does propel things further.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi,

The Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST Optical cost $2,535.00 (The Cable Company)

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks Yuen, that seems a bit much...

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi,

The Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST Optical cost $2,535.00 (The Cable Company)

Buy it direct and normally get 10% off. Just email them. ...

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

For the first time, I listened to the Jazz at the Pawn Shop, track 3 (High Life) at - 26 dB! (based on the reading from the EMM Labs DV2). Wow, the track came alive as never before. The timbres of the instruments sounded so right and tangible, including the percussion as well! I used to complained about the skills of the percussionist, but today I have to eat my words!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing