Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
Thanks, Yuen. The guy seems to be more co-op and hopefully I'll get a refund in three days. If all is ok I'll get DV2 as price is more or less the same as DA2. I'll have a chance to compare Sonore opticalrendu with NS1. If it is ok, I'll use Sonore for streaming and NS1 for a transport.

Reactions: Yuen A.

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST, is this what I should get for the NS1? Where should I buy it? The Cable Comp?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST, is this what I should get for the NS1? Where should I buy it? The Cable Comp?

Other than a lower price, how does the Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST compare to the Optimism EMM St Optical?

I'm interested in where you purchase this cable as well. Cable Co. offers them but I was hoping for a discount :)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Other than a lower price, how does the Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST compare to the Optimism EMM St Optical?

I'm interested in where you purchase this cable as well. Cable Co. offers them but I was hoping for a discount :)

Hi Audire, Do not buy the Aural Symphonics Optimism EMM ST cable (three-cable set) . They are not compatible with the current EMM labs DA2 / DV2. The Optimism Lotus is the single ST cable compatible with the current EMM labs DACs. I suggest you buy it directly from Aural Symphonics. They provide a 10% discount, I think.

Reactions: Audire and teeraash

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Audire, Do not buy the Aural Symphonics Optimism EMM ST cable (three-cable set) . They are not compatible with the current EMM labs DA2 / DV2. The Optimism Lotus is the single ST cable compatible with the current EMM labs DACs. I suggest you buy it directly from Aural Symphonics. They provide a 10% discount, I think.
Awesome - just saved a few $1000, now there's enough for a better second cart :)

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi folks,

This is one good album to use as a Test CD to determine the resolving power of your sound system: Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2 in E minor, Op. 27, Singapore Symphony Orchestra /Lan Shui, Esplanade Concert Hall, Singapore, BIS SACD - 1712.

I was puzzled by the quality of this BIS recording for a long time - it always sounded somewhat diffuse until now. But today, I give it a relisten, and I was pleasantly surprised by the details and dynamics of this performance /recording! Its thematic development is laid out clearly and there's an ebb and flow to the music. The Adagio was especially beautifull and soaring!

Reactions: Audire

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
Hi Audire,
You can buy Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST from the Cable Co. and make "a final price request" and get 10% discount. I just did.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi,

I can't help it but to share with you guys what I have just heard (via my sound system): Mahler Symphony No. 2 (Resurrection), Ivan Fisher, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Channel Classic SACD.

Wow, what a staggering and vivid performance! The orchestra slams during fortissimo passages was frightening, many thanks to the 2000 watts amplifier inside my Magico Q Sub-15. The sheer power of the orchestra was very realistically reproduced, effortlessly and without any hint of compression or distortion. Besides, the ambient resonance of the recording venue can be clearly heard and felt. The Channel Classics capturing of the Palace of Arts acoustic was spot on - glowing and spacious. The instrumental timbre was so right. The symphony opening was explosive!

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
Hi Yuen,
How do you connect your sub? Do you use active xo? I have two JL F112 connecting to JL CR1 xo. The two subs (one in the front and other in the back close to listening seat) smooth out room mode significantly.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Yuen,
How do you connect your sub? Do you use active xo? I have two JL F112 connecting to JL CR1 xo. The two subs (one in the front and other in the back close to listening seat) smooth out room mode significantly.
Hi, Yes, my Magico Q-Sub 15 has an onboard digitally - controlled active crossover and a 2000W amplifier. I used the analog outputs of my EMM Labs DV2 to connect it to the Q-Sub 15 which has 2 Bass Drivers (15").

Reactions: teeraash

john925

May 3, 2013
Hi

Hi, hopefully you are able to resolve the issue relating to your Holo Audio cancellation amicably.

I think you have made the right choice in opting for the DA2 V2. Audire, in another thread, prefer the DA2 V2 to the MSB Select 2.
Hi Yuen A,

Have you compared DV2 to DA2 V2?

Thanks.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Yuen A,

Thanks.
Hi John, Unfortunately, I've no opportunity to do it via my sound system.
Hi Yuen A,

Thanks.

Hi John, I suspect the difference between them is virtually nil. Phil Gold of Enjoy the Music.com says: "In practice, I could not differentiate between the sound coming through the EMM Labs PRE Reference Preamplifier into the Soulution 511 Power Amp and the sound of the DV2 going directly into that power amp."

john925

May 3, 2013
Hi John, Unfortunately, I've no opportunity to do it via my sound system.

Hi John, I suspect the difference between them is virtually nil. Phil Gold of Enjoy the Music.com says: "In practice, I could not differentiate between the sound coming through the EMM Labs PRE Reference Preamplifier into the Soulution 511 Power Amp and the sound of the DV2 going directly into that power amp."
Thanks for the link.

However, it seems to describe Volume control on DV2 has equal sound performance with EMM Labs Reference Pre.
What I wish to know is DV2 and the upgraded DA2 V2, would there be any difference?

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Thanks for the link.

However, it seems to describe Volume control on DV2 has equal sound performance with EMM Labs Reference Pre.
What I wish to know is DV2 and the upgraded DA2 V2, would there be any difference?

Hi John,

I see. The current DV2 and the DA2 V2 are exactly the same - the components inside the chassis, the power supply, the circuitry, the clock, the DAC, the MDAT2. The only difference is that the DV2 has the VControl.

I still think less is more. Without the need to use a preamp, you can do away with a pair of interconnect cables, a power cable, another shelf for the preamp. Hence, less distortions, coloration, and self-noise from your associated components. Also, you can use the money you have saved to buy the best interconnect and speaker cables available, such as the Ansuz Acoustics D-TC supreme series.

Reactions: LenWhite

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Another great find for lovers of classical music: Prokofiev Symphony No. 6, conducted by Valery Gergiev, Mariinsky Orchestra (Mariinsky Label 2 SACDs). Gergiev was able to bring out the suffering and crushing terror of the first movement, the beauty of the second movement and the terrifying, catastrophic ending of the finale. Via my sound system, the recording has the jolting immediacy, great transient sounds and dynamics. There is plenty of good clarity and excellent deep bass - the bass drum whacks were so satisfying. What a performance!

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
I got Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST two days ago and highly recommend this cable to anyone using NS1. The SQ improvement per dollar spent on this cable outstrips all accessories that I own.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I got Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus ST two days ago and highly recommend this cable to anyone using NS1. The SQ improvement per dollar spent on this cable outstrips all accessories that I own.
Are you using the ioGEL?

teeraash

Sep 12, 2021
Has anyone compared Taiko Audio Extreme + USB cable VS NS1 + Optimism Lotus cable (using Roon Nucleus or PC with good LPS)?

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Has anyone compared Taiko Audio Extreme + USB cable VS NS1 + Optimism Lotus cable (using Roon Nucleus or PC with good LPS)?
I can't comment with experience on the Taiko, but dollar for dollar it's much more expensive to get a pristine USB signal vs the already perfect isolation you get from the Optilink cable. The other issue is mains noise from the server itself, which I'm sure favors the Taiko over a Nucleus or PC, but if you have good isolation on the power end it shouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: teeraash

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing