Electrical Experts: How to best ground a CAT6/POE isolation device?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I have great surge protection at the entry to my home and at each electrical panel. I have had the ground checked to ensure that it is very high quality. I also have good cable modem protection at the entry to the home and at the entry to the cable modem.

There is an extensive collection of networks in the house, with dozens of POE devices (including external security cameras, Crestron controlled remote devices, etc). I was planning on adding several gas discharge tube based devices similar to these so that I don't get unexpected surges traveling through the CAT6 networks/devices (a friend got some equipment fried when lightning hit near his home and traveled through his security camera setup):

http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector...ning-protector

My question: how should I go about grounding these devices (they have a lug on the rear)?

All the expensive equipment I am trying to protect is in a series of racks in the same equipment room, as are all of the network switches, routers, and POE power supply devices.

I could ground them to the racks? Alternatively, it seems like I ought to be able to purchase (or make?) something that would provide a ground wire via a single wire plug into the same electrical outlet the associated gear is plugged into?

Advice?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I was in a high-rise that had a heavy duty equipment center for a major Telecom company in the underground levels & on the roof of the high-rise.
Massive spike / surge / lightning equipment - well over a $ million in protection gear - BIG stuff.
One day, lightning hit the building. The arc jumped everything and destroyed almost all the Telecom equipment, lines, and of course the protection equipment.
Mother Nature is dangerous.
zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing