EgglestonWorks Loudspeakers

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I always wondered why Eggleston speakers don't get any "respect" or "buzz", for lack of a better word. I've never heard a pair and can't recall seeing them at shows. I've never even seen a review! But they are what Bob Ludwig uses to master all his recordings so they ought to be at least pretty darned good, right? And they do not appear to be stratospherically priced. What do we know about them?

My experience is dated and perhaps not representative of current EgglestonWorks speakers. In the late 90's I owned the original Andra for little time. It was one my heaviest mistakes - the damn speakers had granite sides and were really an nightmare to move, being deep and wide. They were really a disappointment for me - they needed to be played very loud, otherwise they would sound lifeless. For those enjoying these type of sound levels it could play rock using a monster Krell with impressive control and dynamics. Definitively not my cup of tea! Surely, YMMV, my opinion is due to my preferences!

I heard the first iteration of the rosa.
I was suitably impressed at the focus and the vice like coherency of its imaging.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine just bought the signature 9 based on my recommendations....

Last edited:
The first generation were all first order crossover designs.

The second generation was designed with hired help, and measurements showed that they opted for a design that required mid range drivers to be wired in the opposite polarity against tweeters and woofer(s).

Now they are owned by a third party. And based on conversations with the latest and current owner, it seems that they had went back to the original intention of the founder. How true is that we still don't know.

And lo and behold I was reminded just now by another thread here, of this video and, it uses EgglestonWorks! The impact of the music here matches my memories of what the sound was back then ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuLa0dblJgE

Frank, I like her voice and her rendition of that tune...it is smooth and easy to listen to for sure.

But, it is not taxing @ all to the loudspeakers. * Simply an observation Frank. :b The instruments sound realistic, very nice. And I don't know if it's the room or not, or even the tube video, but her voice sounds slightly 'echoish', as if there is an effect engaged to her mic. Did you notice that too, like her voice is less natural compared to the musical instruments?

Cheers,

Frank, I like her voice and her rendition of that tune...it is smooth and easy to listen to for sure.

But, it is not taxing @ all to the loudspeakers. * Simply an observation Frank. :b The instruments sound realistic, very nice. And I don't know if it's the room or not, or even the tube video, but her voice sounds slightly 'echoish', as if there is an effect engaged to her mic. Did you notice that too, like her voice is less natural compared to the musical instruments?
Bob, indeed I do - echo is applied to vocals like salt is added to food, it's SOP ;). Recordings are full of effects, and they should be very apparent if the system is working well. I have no problems with this, it's like using lighting on a stage to make the actors come across more effectively.

Not taxing on the loudspeakers, but easily so to the amplifying chain ... if you check out some of Peter's other videos he uses the same piece a number of time - and many setups are clearly showing issues, they start to crumble at the big points in the piece, etc.

I am following what you're saying...regarding a better grip from the entire setup but easier for the EgglestonWorks loudspeakers.
And true, the speakers role is to simply convey what's on the music recording and in unison (sync) with the rest of the system.

That's what I want to, but personally I prefer natural vocals without any embellishment. I don't like vocals with mechanical (DSP) echoes. It's just me; I have always been like that.
If you have a nice voice no need to use delay or other effects; it is a deterrent to beautiful nature voice. Opera singers don't use that stuff. Rock&Roll stars, yes.
Anyway, this type of music recording doesn't necessitate this unnatural 'echoe' flavor...IMHO and personal music taste.

I am following what you're saying...regarding a better grip from the entire setup but easier for the EgglestonWorks loudspeakers.
And true, the speakers role is to simply convey what's on the music recording and in unison (sync) with the rest of the system.
Bob, just to give you a contrast, where the system is getting it very wrong, is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3nqVsMoplA. It would appear that the gear should do the job properly, but it's not happening ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing