Effectiveness of Short Run of Fiber Optic Cable.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Attenuation at 1310nm is .5dB or less per km. So unless you’re coiling up kilometers of cable it’s essentially nothing.

I wrote that “coiling has been shown to increase attenuation“. Increase above the number you referenced.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I would be using multimode SX optics which are designed for shorter range in building networks. Or, I would be putting a 5dB or 7dB attenuators on the single mode setup.

Hi @djsina2. I know your post is just a bit back in time, but I wonder if you could recommend such an SFP for my Edgerouter 4. And if possible, is there a matching media converter I could use on the coax out of my Arris SB8200 cable modem? I’d like to break the copper link as soon as possible in my house. I’ve been told that in Florida a good lightning hit can take out a good chunk if not all of a home copper network infrastructure.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Hi @djsina2. I know your post is just a bit back in time, but I wonder if you could recommend such an SFP for my Edgerouter 4. And if possible, is there a matching media converter I could use on the coax out of my Arris SB8200 cable modem? I’d like to break the copper link as soon as possible in my house. I’ve been told that in Florida a good lightning hit can take out a good chunk if not all of a home copper network infrastructure.

You could get these:

https://www.fs.com/products/75332.html
https://www.fs.com/products/40180.html

For the vendor compatibility you should choose generic.

I'm not sure what you mean about the media converter? The input of your SB8200 is coax and needs to remain so.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I'm not sure what you mean about the media converter? The input of your SB8200 is coax and needs to remain so.

Sorry. I meant the Ethernet output. :)

I was itching to get this done :D, so I got one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77VPX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looked good. I also got one of these for the SB8200 side

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWXXTT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the appropriate ST to LC 50/125 um patch cable. Should have it all today.

Reactions: djsina2

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Verizon Fios router (also serves as wifi for iPad and iPhone)—CAT5—>Netgear switch GS-116 (all ethernet connected devices in home are plugged into this, including Mac Mini as Roon Server)—CAT5 to listening room—>Wall Plate—WW Starlight 8 Ethernet—>EtherRegen (stock)—>WW Plat. Starlight Ethernet—>Cary DMS-600 Streamer/DAC
I would simply add an FMC (preferably with linear power) immediately ahead of the EtherREGEN. I would use a one-meter DAC cable (direct acting optical cable) to connect from the FMC to the ER A-side. The Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 has the reputation of being the best FMC for audiophile use, but you could start with the freebie supplied in the AfterDark link below. No other changes or switches needed.:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing