EdgeRouter X SFP

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
More problems with this router. Has anyone who has set it up successfully been asked for a Unify Security Network? How do I find this? Is it necessary? I'm trying to add a UAP Lite access point. for my iPad.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
More problems with this router. Has anyone who has set it up successfully been asked for a Unify Security Network? How do I find this? Is it necessary? I'm trying to add a UAP Lite access point. for my iPad.
Solved this problem. Is there any trick to activating the sFP port? Having trouble getting it to operate. Also has anyone actually used one of the Finisars in an EdgeRouter X SFP?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Solved this problem. Is there any trick to activating the sFP port? Having trouble getting it to operate. Also has anyone actually used one of the Finisars in an EdgeRouter X SFP?

Can you post the entire config of your device and what you are trying to do? I assume you are trying to connect the ER-X to a media converter?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Also, have you upgraded the firmware to the latest? Ubiquiti has a habit of shipping devices with non-functional firmware.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
I have 2 EdgeRouter X SFP's (both running 2.0.8 hotfix 1 FW) I had no issue with the Finisar SFP module to the StarTech optical NIC in my Extreme ("Just Works").

I currently use a TPLink multimode link between the SFP ports on the two ERX's (eth5 is on switch0 on both ERX's). ERX1 is my router/gateway for my network, and hosts my audio network on a private subnet. It is connected by fiber to the second ERX (configured as a straight switch), which has my home WiFi and wired ethernet network. That has let me optically isolate my audio net from my wired/WiFi network.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I have 2 EdgeRouter X SFP's (both running 2.0.8 hotfix 1 FW) I had no issue with the Finisar SFP module to the StarTech optical NIC in my Extreme ("Just Works").

I currently use a TPLink multimode link between the SFP ports on the two ERX's (eth5 is on switch0 on both ERX's). ERX1 is my router/gateway for my network, and hosts my audio network on a private subnet. It is connected by fiber to the second ERX (configured as a straight switch), which has my home WiFi and wired ethernet network. That has let me optically isolate my audio net from my wired/WiFi network.
I'm running 1.10.11 FW that was released on 3/11. The Edge isn't transmitting any light through two different fiber cables.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I'm running 1.10.11 FW that was released on 3/11. The Edge isn't transmitting any light through two different fiber cables.

How do you know it’s not transmitting? Do you have a power meter connected on the other end of the fiber? If not, you can check the transmit power of the ER-X from the CLI.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
We did a flash light test and one strand is not transmitting so one of the fiber strands apparently broke when we pulled it through the conduit. I'm pretty sure the Edge is configured properly. We also ran the fiber from the Edge to an SOtM switch and then copper to the Night Hawk router and nothing.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
If you have a duplex fiber and SFP, which it sounds like you do, only one strand is transmit and the other is receive. Get a VFL, which is a red light that connects direct to the patch cable. This makes it very easy to check light end to end without involving the devices. Sounds like you’re using a flashlight in a similar way but with the VFL it’s much easier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing