Echo control for a large room, stylistic and unobtrusive.

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
My listening room is an odd shape with a vaulted ceiling. At an angle behind the listening position is a large floor to ceiling wall. Before I did anything to tame the echo it was okay on live recordings, but that was it.

I bought a decorative rug display, and picked this rug. It is wool and and silk on wool; I bought it in Iraq. I had around 10 different rugs from which to choose.

I had the panels custom made after a ton of thought. They look like they belong where they are not as a function of their function, but of design. Or something like that.

slainte,

Mitch

Attachments

• F60D811D-EE63-4339-A0B2-68FEF2B1D67A.jpeg
    F60D811D-EE63-4339-A0B2-68FEF2B1D67A.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 68DC903F-DC66-4A26-BBE6-BACF7BC4D3D5.jpeg
    68DC903F-DC66-4A26-BBE6-BACF7BC4D3D5.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 41

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I'm not sure what your question is?
Do you still have echo (i.e. your room has few absorbing materials & the sound bouces about more or less uniformly) or have you tamed it?

As you don't give room dimensions, I can only speculate that if you still have echo, you'll need to address the high ceiling with some kind of absorbant material construction that does not alienate the significant other (if there is one!). For what it's worth, the rule of the thumb ideal room dimensions are Height:1 --- Y:1.9 --- X:1.4 or anything that comes close to that.

Good luck!

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
Didn’t really have a question. I know the vaulted ceiling poses challenges, but it’ll just have to do. The nice thing about the process to dial in the Wilson speakers is a measurement from floor to your ears in the listening position, and the distance from your ears to the upper module on the speakers. Wilson has a nomograph ya the use to then set the tilt angle on the upper cabinet so that you get a precise alignment, with the midrange and tweeter of the upper cabinet aimed straight at ya. I probably have an echo or 2 floating around in the airspace above the listening position but I can’t hear it. I often wear a wide brimmed hat when I’m listening to music and that actually focuses the sound a bit. Looks cool too...

Reactions: StreamFidelity

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I often wear a wide brimmed hat when I’m listening to music and that actually focuses the sound a bit. Looks cool too...
Cool :cool:! Must try that myself
It probably tames ceiling reflections as well!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My listening room is an odd shape with a vaulted ceiling. At an angle behind the listening position is a large floor to ceiling wall. Before I did anything to tame the echo it was okay on live recordings, but that was it.

I bought a decorative rug display, and picked this rug. It is wool and and silk on wool; I bought it in Iraq. I had around 10 different rugs from which to choose.

I had the panels custom made after a ton of thought. They look like they belong where they are not as a function of their function, but of design. Or something like that.

slainte,

Mitch
Looks good and if it improves the sound well done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing