Dumb Router Question

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I've been doing the whole music server thing for about 2 years. If content is stored on my server and outputs via USB to my DAC, I'm trying to understand how a router can make a difference in SQ. Is my router just allowing my ipad to control Roon OS? Is the output from the server to the DAC affected by cheap routers (i.e Xfinity standard fiber router). This makes no intuitive sense but so do a lot of others things in audio that absolutely DO matter.

Thanks,

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
Any upstream devices can still leak electrical noise into connected downstream devices.

One way to determine if this is happening and is by disconnecting everything except your DAC. Then add them back in individually to see the impact each connection is having to SQ.

Reactions: christoph

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I've been doing the whole music server thing for about 2 years. If content is stored on my server and outputs via USB to my DAC, I'm trying to understand how a router can make a difference in SQ. Is my router just allowing my ipad to control Roon OS? Is the output from the server to the DAC affected by cheap routers (i.e Xfinity standard fiber router). This makes no intuitive sense but so do a lot of others things in audio that absolutely DO matter.

Thanks,
Long story short, I would spend my time/money elsewhere in the system. But if you would like to know why I think that continue reading below.

I think the answer here will be different depending on which Camp the person who answers it falls under.

The Subjectivist Camp will probably tell you the Router matters for sure; especially if it has some kind of outboard linear power supply attached to it. But, they may also tell you that even then, you will not hear a big difference until you also buy a fancy ETH cable to go with it.

On the other hand, the Objectivist Camp will probably tell you that as long as the network equipment/infrastructure/wiring...etc is functioning as designed/intended then the Router should make no difference in the SQ you hear.

I must say though, using the term Router kinda muddies the waters a bit here.

You have devices that are Firewalls/Routers & Switches in one box (your typical Linksys box), you have Layer 3 switches which handle Routing, you have Layer 2 switches which cant do Routing and you have pure Routers with a small handful of physical ports not suitable for use as a Layer 3 Switch.

So the point being, some may have a different recommendation/answer depending on the exact device being asked about.

So @ihmeyers ...to clarify, are you really asking about a Router or were you asking about some other example device I mentioned above? Depending on how sophisticated your home network is, this device you are asking about could be sitting outside of the immediate communication path between your music server/music files and DAC and as a result is unlikely to effect SQ.

In any case, I'm in the Objectivist Camp on this one, assuming the device in question is properly configured of course. With that said though, a misconfigured device (causing packet errors..etc) could certainly result in bad SQ and a miserable User experience.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Is your server connecting to the internet via wifi?

If it is connecting via ethernet, there can be electrical noise/EMI/RFI that comes from the cable company. that comes from outside the home, into the router and can be passed on to your server. Consumer products aren't really built to address this, and can be sources of this as well. So audiophile switches and other devices are obstensively built to block/filter this as well as re-process the signal in ways to improve sonics. Whether and how they do this is where the debate comes in. I do believe that a digital system needs to be operating at a pretty high level before these devices start to become audible. But once you get to a higher level, the improvements really do become obvious and welcome. And there seems to be no cap on the amount of tweaking that continues to add improvements.

If you are using wifi to connect to your router, your server is where the most improvements could be made. I am no expert on wifi networks for audio.

Reactions: Thuan

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
How are your router and server connected to each other? If the server is plugged directly into the router, IOW, if the router is being used as a switch, then I would recommend adding a standalone switch.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing