DSD Battle Royale!

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Thanks for bringing it up. I totally missed this post by Bruce.

Username and password are the same as before.

ftp://pugetsoundstudios.com/
User - DSD
Password - Puget2013!
Thanks.

Somehow yesterday it did not accept login. Now it's working fine.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Slightly OT...

Does ES9018 accept DSD512? Did they ever release any info on that?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
So Bruce,
when you going to provide the quad rate DSD :)
More seriously I see this is something Merging is starting to push with a few; will be interesting to see how other AD manufacturers respond (both in terms of products and comments).

Cheers
Orb

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
So Bruce,
when you going to provide the quad rate DSD :)Cheers
Orb

It's there Orb... did you listen to it? Unfortunately unless folks have an exaSound or Horus DAC, you won't be able to hear it.

I'm sure the manufacturers are now working on a DSD512 DAC as we speak!! More is better, right?? ;)

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure the manufacturers are now working on a DSD512 DAC as we speak!! More is better, right?? ;)

Yep, up to the point that the logic elements can handle it. It's a settling time issue. Andreas, even using discrete ECL logic circuit elements, found that 128fs was about the upper limit for data reliability. That's of course implementing with discrete logic. Integrated circuit logic, with its much lower inter element inductance and stray capacitance of course can operate faster than discrete logic. Witness the ARDA AT1201 and ESS9016/18 chips. But now it's no longer a garage shop venture. Gotta be able to sell a million of em before a foundry like TI or AD gets interested.

Hi Bruce!

Last edited:

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Only until the FCC starts regulating them based on radio transmission broadcast regulation... :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yep, up to the point that the logic elements can handle it. It's a settling time issue. Andreas, even using discrete ECL logic circuit elements, found that 128fs was about the upper limit for data reliability. That's of course implementing with discrete logic. Integrated circuit logic, with its much lower inter element inductance and stray capacitance of course can operate faster than discrete logic. Witness the ARDA AD1201 and ESS9016/18 chips. But now it's no longer a garage shop venture. Gotta be able to sell a million of em before a foundry like TI or AD gets interested.

Hi Bruce!

One reason I think Merging with the Horus will corner this segment.
And then to really play it back ideally you also need a similar architecture; for now the Horus converters.
Who are the ones that are truly 1-bit DSD designed DAC architectures; Aside from the primary core studio focused companies with ADs/DAWs/DACs, Playback and possibly only one or two others (such as Meitner/EMM Labs using FPGA) that do not utilise OEM DAC chips.
Why I think there will be technical arguments about the need for quad DSD with pros/cons.
Still, interesting some of the big producers rave about quad DSD (using Merging products).

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gents,

Any views on Light Harmonics approach...which is to provide 2 different D/A setups within 1 DAC...i suppose its PCM and DSD. I thought that is an interesting approach. Is this best of both worlds, or jack of all trades?

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
One reason I think Merging with the Horus will corner this segment.
And then to really play it back ideally you also need a similar architecture; for now the Horus converters.
Who are the ones that are truly 1-bit DSD designed DAC architectures; Aside from the primary core studio focused companies with ADs/DAWs/DACs, Playback and possibly only one or two others (such as Meitner/EMM Labs using FPGA) that do not utilise OEM DAC chips.

I agree, for the professional market certainly. But while Merging has a complete DAW solution, other ADC's and DAC's however contain the same chips. Ayer for one uses the ARDA AT1201 A/D Converter chip, and eXa E20 and E28 use the ESS 9018 configured to run at up to 12.288MHz sampling rate. And Merging itself is not far away from both the hardware and software support for the Emotion server/player.

As I mentioned above, the discrete component circuit DAC's have a difficult time running much faster than 5.6MHz due to parasitic inductance and capacitance of the layout.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Bruce,

I DLed the DSD256 file but I cannot play it back right now because my DSD DAC is receiving a mod.
I could convert it to PCM on the fly and play it with my PCM DAC, but it would defeat the purpose.
I'll try to report asap.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,

I DLed the DSD256 file but I cannot play it back right now because my DSD DAC is receiving a mod.
I could convert it to PCM on the fly and play it with my PCM DAC, but it would defeat the purpose.
I'll try to report asap.

Thank-you sir... Keep us posted!

PhilipAC

Nov 20, 2013
Hi Bruce

Will you be posting any QA-9 files? Charlie said he might on the Ayre website, but no sign yet.

Philip

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I listened last night to the three sample rates of the Bruce's Horus samples. I could not, with this source content, hear a difference. However, I did prefer the 64fs on an emotional level. It just felt more comfortable.

I listened using two SoundLab M-1PX full range electrostatic speakers in near field, Parasound JC-1 amplifiers, my design 1db step passive attenuator, Merging Horus, and Pyramix Mastering pack software.

The first consideration was the three clips are at different levels, with the 128fs being loudest. The 64fs clip is -1.2dB lower, and the 256fs clip -3.2dB lower. I corrected the differences with the analog attenuator.

A great feature of the Horus and Pyramix is the ability to have several projects mounted simultaneously, and even though they're at different sampling rates, and switch between them with only about a one second switching time.

I mounted the three samples, and repeatedly listened to the lead-in voice and first guitar stroke(s). For me they were identical. Repeated longer listening to whole clips (the 256fs is twice as long as the 64fs and 28fs) is what gave me the "more comfortable" feeling of the 64fs clip.

I don't mean to imply in the above that there is no difference within the three DSD sampling rates. Just not for me with this material.

Thanks Bruce for so generously sharing these clips!

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I think Charles did post 6 files, 3 in wav and 3 in dsf. At CompAudiophile, but said he would not leave thenm on for long.

The DSD samples are mono. Guess he's having problems with the code or something.

I couldn't get it to work before I had to send them back. Something just wasn't right.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Here you go...

001. Tascam DA-3000
002. EMM Labs ADC8 IV
003. Grimm AD1
004. Korg MR2000s
005. Merging Horus

My preference in descending order: Horus, Grimm, EMM.
Listened to the files through the MR-2000s using Beyerdynamic DT770 phones.
Thank you, Bruce :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Looking for information on Playback Designs handling of signal I found a recent interview with Andreas Koch at the-ear site. http://www.the-ear.net/features/andreas-koch-playback-designs He summarizes the handling of PCM in PD units as (quoting from the interview)

" In our devices we use the 44.1 kHz sample frequency as a basis, convert the digital signal into 16FS PCM, make a DSD stream of it in 5.6 MHz, multiply the sample rate by another factor of 8 and finally, at a sample frequency of around 45 MHz, we decode the signal into analogue sound. "

Can some one elucidate me why this intermediate 5.6MHz DSD is needed? Why not direct decoding to what looks like DSD 43 MHz?

BTW, if you transcode your PCM to 5.6 MHz DSD and play it using the PB you get similar sonic results as playing the PCM file?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing