DS Audio Ionizer

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
My enabler.... er.... dealer graciously loaned me the new DS Audio Ionizer. He knows I am a sucker for a tweak.

I have it for a week and set it up tonight. Pricing is not out yet but it is rumored to be expensive.
Nicely finished and packaged with a template to set the ideal location. It includes awkward green lighting that can be shut off without any impact to the process. Intensity of the ionization can be adjusted.

I see there being a need for some adjust-ability for height as there are so many different tables on the market. It also may be difficult to place in the recommended zone if you have a large plinth. For me it works out. It is a nicely finished product.

I do not have a serious static problem but the winter can be challenging in our latitude for dryness.

Its recommended that it be shut off at the end of each use. You can definitely smell the ozone ... ozone may be hazardous to the lungs in the wrong quantities.

I know there have been some , including my dealer, that have devised industrial ionizers on articulated microphone arms over their table prior to this commercial product being available from DS Audio.

Like this:
https://www.panasonic-electric-works.com/eu/er-q-ionizer.htm

If there is some interest I will post my results in about a week.
IMG_3038.jpg IMG_3033.jpg

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I have one.
The ozone smell lessens after about a week.
MSRP is $1800 USD
Might take some time to find the optimal height, I used wood blocks to find it.
Overall, product does its job. I have 0 static now.
I keep the light off when in use.
thumbnail_IMG_4429.jpg

djsina2

May 30, 2019
The CS Port unit looks more reasonable in size and has a height adjusting stand. That’s about $1100 USD in Japan. I’d like to try one. Static here in the winter can be bad.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You can pickup units on eBay for hardly anything. I use one when I brush my LP’s if they have anything on them (instead of cleaning them thoroughly again, since it’s just a couple specs)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The DS audio unit works great. DS Audio also has a file with the recommended height for a large variety of tables. I think I may have it somewhere. If I can find it I will post it here.

Reactions: byrdparis

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Several LP audiophile friends of mine in Hong Kong are using this DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer.

Their comments on it are :
  • Indispensable!
  • No escape after witnessing its effect.
  • Even a half-deaf could hear the diff!
:cool:

One of my friends Nickif is using it with his newly bought AMG V12 Forte combo :
225324f4sqstqhgffs5n4q.jpeg
114639d002r62m8km72zmb.jpeg

TLi, another friend of mine will write a more detailed review of it soon.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
There was a Japanese review of the CS Port device which said it was a very noticeable improvement.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
really??? :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the tourmaline balls in hair driers that people were using 5-6 years ago

more like 10 years ago.

i still have 2 of those hair dryer/ tourmaline bead screen thingies in my tweak drawer. absolutely works every time. just a pain to use and temporary (10-15 minutes so not quite a whole side). whereas the constant negative ion stream from these products is not temporary. it's a predictable clear increase in vividness and a lowering of the noise floor.

i'll have at least one of the CS Port units on my tt's when my piggy bank recovers from my recent run.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I feel so 20th Century...

View attachment 59477

...mine is red - I think it came from Discwasher.

this does the same thing, but only momentarily. so you can't really compare it to these ionizer products.

this releases the static for a moment to eliminate static sparks at the needle drop, but has almost no effect after that. i own a Zerostat (or did.....i might have sold it) and compared it years ago to my hair dryer/Tourmaline screen device. i could not really hear any clear difference using the Zerostat or not using it other than reduced static at the start. which was very important at the time as my air bearing Rockport did have a severe static issue at certain times of the year. whereas the hair dryer effect on the music was clear and profound, even though not long lasting.

not saying it does nothing, but not close to these products in my experience.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I remember the positive effect Mike but the downside was it was a fleeting change

not fleeting. unless 14-15 minutes is fleeting.

that hair dryer/tourmaline screen approach is stronger than these products, but it's not continual. it was applied prior off platter. and so the effect had to stay and not be renewed.

when i did my recording with Winston Ma and the pro audio guys in my room, they all asked about the hair dryer/tourmaline idea. so i demonstrated it to them. we determined that (1) it was a desired result that we wanted for the recording, and (2) it lasted at full strength 14-15 minutes. so we recorded part of each side and retreated for the rest of the side.

the effect was not fleeting. and it was a skeptical audience that day. these were not tweak freaks, it was three pro audio guys, Tim Marutani, John Greenham, and Bruce Brown.....plus Winston. we all heard it and went to the extra time and trouble to use it.,

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/the-direct-to-disc-thread.19906/page-11#post-530338

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Here is another friend of mine using it on his old Basis :

IMG-20191204-WA0000.jpg

DS Audio doesn't tell us what's inside the Vinyl Ionizer and we haven't opened it up for a look.
Maybe there are some tourmaline balls inside? Haha

Anyway it works and there is no downside sonically.
And the whole product design is neat & tidy. Actually I think that it looks really nice.
:)

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing