Do you hear any difference if you use a external Clock?

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
The best DACs today use a very good internal clock. Some of them are able to connect a external clock. Do you hear any difference? I do not mean the old DACs! Only the new Generation.

Josef

joelha

Jun 16, 2013
I use a Mutec MC-3+ and an atomic clock on my DCS Debussy. Definitely an improvement. I wouldn't do without it.

Consider that even DCS' Vivaldi stack includes an external clock as one of its components.

Joel

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only time an external clock makes a difference is if you are using 2 or more converters at a time. I have NEVER, had an external clock make a single converter sound better, unless the unit was either broken or poorly engineered...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
External clocks seem like a good marketing ploy to get more money out of your pocket. Why not just use a better clock in the DAC to begin with? Are more boxes and cables really better if the DAC is designed well with the best parts?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes among others. In the Exasound e20 DAC I just bought it comes with a 130 femtosecond clock. I ugraded to a 80 fs clock for $100.

Did you experience an improvement?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I did not get to hear the difference between the two. I just ordered it that way. I guess the marketing worked on me as well.;)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I did not get to hear the difference between the two. I just ordered it that way. I guess the marketing worked on me as well.;)

for $100 for 80fs clock this is no brainer. I paid $5K for a 140fs clock - that takes a more sophisticated marketing approach.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

:D

for $100 for 80fs clock this is no brainer. I paid $5K for a 140fs clock - that takes a more sophisticated marketing approach.

Indeed :)

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I have a Weiss Jason and Medea combo. I put a Grimm CC1 clock between both and the resolution, the speed, the delineation of instruments, tightness of bass and treble all improve. I think the clock in the Jason and/or Medea are specced so many years ago and the world has moved on, of which the Grimm is a clear example although it is not a rubidium or other exotic clock neither, just a very good one I like to think ;).

How do I connect the drive and the DAC? well, the CC1 has the unique feature that it not only allows to connect in either master or slave to the wordclock ins/outs of drives and DAC's (which the Weiss don't have) but it also has a reclocking function whereby you enter with an AES cable and go out with the same (converter for RCA/AES exists as well) accepting signals all the way to 196/24

So far my experience...

oh, and in case you might ask, no, there isn't any loss in dynamics or veilness (quite on the contrary).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
External clocks seem like a good marketing ploy to get more money out of your pocket. Why not just use a better clock in the DAC to begin with? Are more boxes and cables really better if the DAC is designed well with the best parts?

External clocks can have a real advantage if you have a system with different units, such as transport and DAC, as they will be synchronized to the some box. Also putting the clock in an external box with separate power supply can make it less sensitive to the noise of the digital systems that will use it. Weather it really results in sound improvement is surely open to debate, and until some generous fellow allows me to borrow a DCS Vivaldi stack I can not have an opinion! ;)

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
I had my e20 MK III for about a month with the 130 Clock and then had George at exaSound do an 82 Clock for me. It was an obvious improvement. It was even more quite, there was more air, body and harmonics. For a $100 bucks it is more then worth it and the best bargain for the improvement in sound it brings. I told George he should just make the e20 MK III with the 82 Clock and just up his price a $100.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing