Do Tubes Homogenize the Sound of Our Music?

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Type of of horn: Dynamikks Athos 10, Dynamic type with most natural mid range:Kharma DB-11S, Magnetic Planar: Eminent Technology 8C (new model for 2022) coupled with new reference REL woofers just amazing`!
I like my Klipsch La Scalas AL5 very much. Recent convert to horns after 35 years of listening to electrostatics. Mostly listen to classical music and jazz. Choral music and chamber music I dig a lot. But the La Scalas can belt out Mahler at 120 dB if that’s your thing. Large scale opera? No sweat. Buckner 9th? Will the full brass going fortissimo? No sweat.

I still own three pairs of Quads (57s, 2805s, 2905s), and a Harbeth Monitir 40.1. The Harbeth is in my kitchen pantry, till I decide if I want to sell them. The 2905s are in my dining room used for mono jazz only from the 1930s-50s with a Garrard 301. The 2805s in my guest bedroom. The 57s I can’t bear to sell. But the La Scalas is what I listen to most now. All you need is 2 watts or do to make them sing. And they don‘t look hideous. Their wood finish blends in with my living room decor. Granted, they’re large, but not hugely tall. They’re not as hideous looking as the Avante Garde monsters. They disappear in ways surprising for a refrigerator sized 200 pound behemoth. Remarkable that you can drive them with a flea sized amplifier. Like a tube amplifier you can pick up with one hand and runs cooler than most solid state amplifiers. I think my 45 tube amplifier puts out 10-20 milliwatts driving my La Scalas. Power is not the issue. Quality is. When your speaker is 105 dB efficient, you quickly realize how noisy solid state amplifiers are! They tend to hiss like a snake! You want the highest quality SET tube with 2 watts at most.

Attachments

• 066DD670-7E6A-492E-BD07-593797A93BA9.jpeg
    066DD670-7E6A-492E-BD07-593797A93BA9.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 10

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing