DMA-250 S3 stereo power amplifier

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
A friend of mine this week replaced a dma250 with a 260. Both First series. He told me that It was a clearly audible upgrade, less grain in medium frequency and slightly more detailed. Bass a Little bit lighter but more defined.
At the end of October I'll go for an audition, I know very well his system (speakers are Dynaudio C2 and preamp is also Spectral, SS30-1). I'll let you know my sensations.

Reactions: kennyb123 and ack

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I will be interested in your experience. I have the 260 s1. I have heard the latest and it’s not clear that it is a marked improvement. I would take the new amp, but I would not pay the big difference in cost.
I think several of the Spectral upgrades have been due to parts obsolescence. The newer versions have replacement components. Updated circuit design has no doubt been an improvement as seen in the 500 mono blocks.

Reactions: kennyb123 and ack

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Hi Analyzer,

Did you already upgrade your DMA 250? Is there a big difference?

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Is there anyone who upgrade a DMA 260 what are your conclusions where is the difference?

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I listened to the system of my friend; sorry I don't have to post images. I can confirm the improvement from 250 to 260; neverthless it's overall marginal and basically limited to a better resolution and detail; especially in mid-high frequencies where with 260 there's less grain.
Bass is lighter than with 250 but with now has more agility. Voices slightly clearer and transparent with 260.
Dynamically in my listening session there were any significant difference.
I suppose that for "great improvement" one must go directly to 300SV.
Just my two cents
Marco

Reactions: Hiempie

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
I listened to the system of my friend; sorry I don't have to post images. I can confirm the improvement from 250 to 260; neverthless it's overall marginal and basically limited to a better resolution and detail; especially in mid-high frequencies where with 260 there's less grain.
Bass is lighter than with 250 but with now has more agility. Voices slightly clearer and transparent with 260.
Just my two cents
Marco

Hi Marco,
I would like to upgrade to 300SV but here in Holland prices are to high about 33900 euro is equal to 37000 dollar. So I have to wait a few years hopefully price is about 50% more affordable :) for now I am happy with 30SS2 and 260
Greetz Ismael

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Just my two cents
Marco

Marco,

I have to agree. 260 owners if they wanted to upgrade the path would be a used 300RS or a 300sv.

Also consider perhaps upgrading pre amp first to an “sv “ one as perhaps before the amp.

As @ack can attest. A full spectral Sv stack. At least the pre+amp is quite special indeed.

Shame prices in Europe aren’t competitive but it is imported.

I’d like to say in America; spectral is our “Swiss “ precision but without those prices To import.

Also consider German brand Auidonet. A very fast and linear solid state electronics.

Reactions: ack

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Marco,

I have to agree. 260 owners if they wanted to upgrade the path would be a used 300RS or a 300sv.

Also consider perhaps upgrading pre amp first to an “sv “ one as perhaps before the amp.

As @ack can attest. A full spectral Sv stack. At least the pre+amp is quite special indeed.

Shame prices in Europe aren’t competitive but it is imported.

I’d like to say in America; spectral is our “Swiss “ precision but without those prices TSo import.

Also consider German brand Auidonet. A very fast and linear solid state electronics.

Prices of Spectral in Holland have increased very fast more than 50% higher. I didn't see any used SV 230 Volt yet. I will look at Audionet didn't hear about that brand. Thanks

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Prices of Spectral in Holland have increased very fast more than 50% higher. I didn't see any used SV 230 Volt yet. I will look at Audionet didn't hear about that brand. Thanks

A shame that those prices have increased that drastically.
but, you do have some choices that are most likely more affordable in the Netherlands than Spectral.
You can use your existing spectral pre amp and try our Audionet.
I’m not sure of euro pricing for Audionet but, most likely you’ll be able get either the amp or max monoblocks.
Very fast , wide bandwidth linear amps similar to spectral.
but , don’t require mit so , more choices.
enjoy and keep us posted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing