Diffusers - 7-root vs 23-root?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Anyone have comparative experience between these two types of diffusers? The 23-root types that I’ve seen look like the “random block height” type of panel, where the 7-root typically looks like the “parallel trough” style of panel. Are there scenarios where one is better over the other?

Last edited:

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Is "root" the same as "prime" diffuser? I have prime 23 and prime 7 they are based off a formula. The 23 is much deeper and diffuses lower than the prime 7. I'm not that knowledgeable about the differences.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks Groovy. Yes, I think the terms are to the same reference. I‘d heard that a prime 7, given the sort of curved nature of its design, can produce a kind of “seashell” sound if sitting to close to them (within three feet or so).

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Seems we are talking about different technologies. QRD (Quadratic Residue Diffuser) uses prime numbers and a formula to calculate well depth. They are flat not curved.

The depth of well determines the lowest frequency that is diffused. The lowest frequency diffused determines minimum distance to listening position.

16” well depth 242hz is ~4.7' depending on who you talk to you want 50% on top of that for the waves to blend. In this example you want to be around 7' away from the diffuser.

7" well depth ~550hz you want a 3' distance.

I have not experimented sitting close to mine. My 23 are 16" deep and 7 are 10" deep. I'm 9' 8" from the diffusers on the rear wall, measured from the closer side of the diffuser.

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com/cgi-bin/qrd.cgi <- diffuser calculator

http://mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm <- calculates wave size.

Edit: changed ‘ to “

Last edited:
Reactions: tony22

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks Groovy! This will help a lot.

Reactions: GroovySauce

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing