* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Lady Macbeth. No spoilers, but a very interesting character study. No CGI, battle scenes, or anything else. Just humans, and their emotions.

image.jpeg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last night I revisited M:I-4 Ghost Protocol, but in 4K this time around.

Right from the bat, the opening music theme with the fuse being lighted up, it's a piece of visual art montage.
Talk about entertainment, almost non-stop. It's the best Mission Impossible.

https://youtu.be/6HlBONm_rV4

Overall (film action entertainment, 4K picture and audio quality): 88

* The only improvement here over the old Blu-ray; the 4K picture.
And number two; the motivation to revisit it. It raises the bar in the pros department, but not the flaws.
It was worth it to be indulged and to be wacked again (extra money spent...twenty loonies).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've watched this couple nights ago:

After roughly fifteen minutes I was hooked enough.
It's a suspense/thriller/drama/horror/sci-fi/romance/love story/family type of flick, with an emphasis on horror...monster killers. They kill only when they hear "sounds". So it's best to keep quiet, very quiet.

I'm sure some of you, I would even say most of you would enjoy too.

Overall: 79

Technically the 4K picture is mostly dark, tinted, ok.
The audio is fun, one of the characters. Dialog is clear.
Emily Blunt she's the convincing actress, she drives this thing; her face expression reminded me of her performance in 'Sicario'.

Good flick, hits the spot. I wasn't scared but I was pleasantly intrigued and a little suspended.

https://youtu.be/WfgZl_snsIw

Don't make a sound. The concept is not new, it has many elements from past various films. You can go there safely if you keep quiet. And just don't bring the baby.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Always like Emily Blunt.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Always like Emily Blunt.

Yes. She was great in the Tom Cruise si-fi movie, and Girl On The Train. I have Quiet Place, but haven’t watched yet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've watched this last night:

Animation, artistically and humorously and visionary constructed, with flair and a good nose.
To be in the current of the state of affairs in our world and its filmmakers is half the understanding, I think. I need to get 100%...all the way.

I'll reserve my final score till another revisit or two.
First overall impression: 71.5
Visual Arts: 88

https://youtu.be/vMG5Ht20Qxg
_____

* Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs_(film)

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Finished this last night, and ready to watch again. For whatever reason, I really liked this.

DA1EF1E6-AAEE-47CE-B1CD-685AF6813CC7.jpeg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited (4K version):

Are you allowed to readjust your score from a movie you've already seen?
Of course you are, what's life good for if you can't?

Overall: 66

Gets better with replay. The images are clear and clean and inviting.
The acting is smooth and relaxing, and humorous (bartender).
I would love to be in love in space, to be on a date and freely flowing.
What can you ask for that you didn't already?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

Recently (re) watched the 4K version of Saving Private Ryan. The opening scene moving to the beach sort of re-defines graphic war movie. Excellent movie and so well done.

Last night I watched Ready Player One. The audio was terrific and the movie was OK. I will probably re-watch one more time as that sometimes fills in some blank spots for me. It has some interesting and thought provoking messages about real life and a virtual one.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I revisited (4K version):

Are you allowed to readjust your score from a movie you've already seen?
Of course you are, what's life good for if you can't?

Overall: 66

Gets better with replay. The images are clear and clean and inviting.
The acting is smooth and relaxing, and humorous (bartender).
I would love to be in love in space, to be on a date and freely flowing.
What can you ask for that you didn't already?

I may have to re-watch this one !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
When you revisit films, for me anyway, you are more aware of the cinematographer and his compositions and camera focus. You see the nice shots in more glorious appreciation, and the flaws become more obvious too. I could go on greater details but it's a nice day here and other things are on my plate.

But just this one: Some closeups of Jennifer's face lack camera focus.
On the other hand the bartender is crystal clear, and so is the bar and the robots serving food and drinks.
This flick grows on me. Next time I'll go back to the 3D version.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
But just this one: Some closeups of Jennifer's face lack camera focus.
On the other hand the bartender is crystal clear, and so is the bar and the robots serving food and drinks.
This flick grows on me. Next time I'll go back to the 3D version.

Doris Day (remember her?) insisted all shots the focused on her be taken through cheese cloth that softened her look (and hid her freckles). Maybe Jennifer Lawrence is wanting some cosmetic "help"

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't know but in 4K it was clear that some shots of her lack focus.
I did not see that with Chris Pratt's closeups.

Maybe you're right. And of course I remember Doris Day, I live only few steps from the borderline.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This movie is for those of you who have in immersive audio system (Atmos) and the more active channels the better. This was just plain FUN. And the more subs you have the better the movie. It will NOT win any Academy Awards but I thoroughly enjoyed it if only for how well it used all of my channels. Being in the middle of a hurricane at reference is pretty amazing !!

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 7.22.56 PM.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Looks like a hurricane of a ride!

https://youtu.be/qXTWDiA7l3c

Rob Cohen (Daylight, The Fast and the Furious, Stealth) directed it.

'Daylight' has the most and lasting extensive dynamic scene ever; the tunnel explosion. If you want to check how hot the amplifiers in your subwoofers get, it's the movie for that.
And of course those special music recordings strictly for BASS ecstasy.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I like Passengers (4K), and have watched it a few times. I always wondered why they weren't like Adam and Eve, and had a slew of kids for the other passengers to meet when they awoke. I remember the first time I watched it and I was thinking I bet JL will be mad as Hades when she finds out her awakening was not accidental. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing