DCS Vivaldi

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Still did not have the time to go through the upgrade - but something worries me. What is the connection between Mosaic and Roon? I currently only use Roon in my Windows server.
Not sure there is a connection. It’s a alternative...another option. If you love Roon, many do, lil reason to check this out.

aldenberry

Oct 12, 2015
I just upgraded My upsampler firmware and downloaded Mosaic. WOW, what a difference. I may opt out of Roon and stick with the much-improved dCS app?

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
I downloaded Mosaic. It does around %50 of what Roon does but if you are a sort of person who exactly know your music and what you are playing Mosaic is enough for you. It is not as pretty as Roon but it does its job flawlessly. But if you are like me, using Roon to discover new music all the time, make connections between artists, learn about them etc. Roon is still a more complete option. I haven't compared them sound wise but I will not be surprised if Mosaic plays a bit better than Roon.

Reactions: aldenberry

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just upgraded My upsampler firmware and downloaded Mosaic. WOW, what a difference. I may opt out of Roon and stick with the much-improved dCS app?
I to think the dCS app sounds better than Roon. The Roon interface however is better ...

Reactions: aldenberry

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Still did not have the time to go through the upgrade - but something worries me. What is the connection between Mosaic and Roon? I currently only use Roon in my Windows server.

This is a comment from the dCS Team.
When Mosaic Control was conceived, a requirement was that it be possible to switch between Roon (library management, playback) and Mosaic Control (settings management) with as little disruption as possible. That means that you can launch Mosaic Control and navigate to the dCS Processing Platform settings page (upsampling, filters, and mappers), use Roon for playback, and then go back to Mosaic Control at any time in the future and have the settings page instantly available.

They have also indicated they are not and will not a be competitor to Roon.

It is easy to play Tidal via Mosaic but your music will need to be on a UPnP server to be visible in Mosaic. If your storage is on a Roon core then you’ll need to use Roon for playback. According to dCS it is no issue in doing that as there’s no sonic advantage to one or the other.

Reactions: mtakeda

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Well tried Mosaic and like the internet radio features despite the lack of Flac stream support. Compared my current Roon Nucleus with 8TB USB attached drive and connected via Ethernet wired network against a direct USB flash drive of music connected into the Upsampler. Close but the Nucleus sounded better. And given that the Upsampler USB cannot support more than FAT32, that puts a severe crimp in the size of a library.

aldenberry

Oct 12, 2015
Well tried Mosaic and like the internet radio features despite the lack of Flac stream support. Compared my current Roon Nucleus with 8TB USB attached drive and connected via Ethernet wired network against a direct USB flash drive of music connected into the Upsampler. Close but the Nucleus sounded better. And given that the Upsampler USB cannot support more than FAT32, that puts a severe crimp in the size of a library.
Steve, glad to see that your Vivaldi DAC has arrived, completing the trio. I went DAC first, followed by clock then upsampler. Amazing what each brings to the party, but the upsampler has really been amazing. Still working through a variety of comparisons. That said, I think you owe it to yourself to compare NAS direct to your Roon Nucleus. I bought the Nucleus plus and sold it almost as fast. I have also let TIDAL go in favor of Qobuz and I'm on the fence about keeping Roon. I suppose having all three isn't out of the question, just focusing on where I am realizing the best SQ, which is Synology, Qobuz, dCS Mosaic. Best, David

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
By NAS direct im assuming you mean Ethernet wired to Upsampler. That won’t work for me as I’d need to keep the NAS (I’ve both a Synology and QNAP) nearby (cabling issues) and the internal drive noise (clicking and fan) are apparent even when placing behind speakers, etc. I tried using NAS via WiFi (terrible sound compared to Roon Nucleus wired to Upsampler via switch. In the past I’ve always found that USB to be noisier than Ethernet, so I wasn’t surprised when I did my comparison.

I’m looking forward to swapping out my $25 D-Link switch for the upcoming EtherREGEN for an even quieter network transfer.

Only other future changes: to swap my Shunyata Denali for Triton/Typhon combo.

aldenberry

Oct 12, 2015
IMO, don't waste your money on the Typhon. I think Shunyata has the best-valued products available on the power side, ( I like the best of Nordost and the best of Transparent a bit more, but the prices swell for both) but dare say- this is the only Shunyata product I would ever look at and say "no". It just didn’t offer much bang for buck, at least in my system. As for the Triton- I'm all in.

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks. Agree. Been using the Tranparent XL Ref clock cables which were recommended by many. Been using Galileo Synergistic Research stuff for interconnects, but for Spectral hardware demanding use of specific MIT interconnect and speaker cables.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
By NAS direct im assuming you mean Ethernet wired to Upsampler. That won’t work for me as I’d need to keep the NAS (I’ve both a Synology and QNAP) nearby (cabling issues) and the internal drive noise (clicking and fan) are apparent even when placing behind speakers, etc. I tried using NAS via WiFi (terrible sound compared to Roon Nucleus wired to Upsampler via switch. In the past I’ve always found that USB to be noisier than Ethernet, so I wasn’t surprised when I did my comparison.

I’m looking forward to swapping out my $25 D-Link switch for the upcoming EtherREGEN for an even quieter network transfer.

The Triton/Typhon is a potent combination. Especially for the money and in combination with Shunyata's better cables. I used this up to Triton version 3 for years. I had to spend a lot more to get better performance. And have been quite happy with the Tranparent Opus conditioners and cords.

aldenberry

Oct 12, 2015

Well, different homes, systems and power supplies- I guess it's no surprise that we find different ways of optimizing sound quality. I just wanted to suggest a trial since I had different results. Best, D

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Maybe, at minimum, upgrading from Denali to Triton V3 might be a good start. Currently I use the Denali for analogue devices (pre-amp, mono block amps, Dac) and the DPC-6 for all other digital devices. And each of the Shunyata units are plugged into receptacles on the same 20a circuit. But I’ll check in with my dealer. They have been selling Transparent far longer than Shunyata but I’ve not noted any power products prevalent in their shop. However they did recommend using their Plug-In Protector between my Ethernet switch and dCS Upsampler. That did improve things.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Maybe, at minimum, upgrading from Denali to Triton V3 might be a good start. Currently I use the Denali for analogue devices (pre-amp, mono block amps, Dac) and the DPC-6 for all other digital devices. And each of the Shunyata units are plugged into receptacles on the same 20a circuit. But I’ll check in with my dealer. They have been selling Transparent far longer than Shunyata but I’ve not noted any power products prevalent in their shop. However they did recommend using their Plug-In Protector between my Ethernet switch and dCS Upsampler. That did improve things.
I also have a Denali and I am very interested in your experience bringing the digital devices to a DPC-6. It really shows a clear improvement ?. Could you describe your experience?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, different homes, systems and power supplies- I guess it's no surprise that we find different ways of optimizing sound quality. I just wanted to suggest a trial since I had different results. Best, D

Yes. We should consider no one knows exactly what is the correlation between digital noise and sound quality in the high-end, particularly as this hobby is accessed by preference - one man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.

IMO, don't waste your money on the Typhon. I think Shunyata has the best-valued products available on the power side, ( I like the best of Nordost and the best of Transparent a bit more, but the prices swell for both) but dare say- this is the only Shunyata product I would ever look at and say "no". As for the Triton- I'm all in.

Just one case to exemplify my previous comment - I was told by a Shunyata owner that I would never know how good is the Triton if I did not add the Typhon - he considers the Typhon the best of Shunyata! :)

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I also have a Denali and I am very interested in your experience bringing the digital devices to a DPC-6. It really shows a clear improvement ?. Could you describe your experience?
Sorry but I never did an actual comparison. Since I’ve 10 devices a Denali or DPC-6 on its own would not suffice. Given the mix of Analogue and Digital units, it simply made more sense to bring in both products at once.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Any new from Mosaic users after a few weeks settling time?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I like that I can change setting on my Upsampler. However, browsing my library is a total PITA. There seems to be no way to save a playlist from the last listen.... bottom line, it’s stable but bare bones. Frankly I cannot see why DcS can’t design an app that’s at least as good as the Aurender conductor app.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I like that I can change setting on my Upsampler. However, browsing my library is a total PITA. There seems to be no way to save a playlist from the last listen.... bottom line, it’s stable but bare bones. Frankly I cannot see why DcS can’t design an app that’s at least as good as the Aurender conductor app.
They have stated that they have no intention of competing with Roon (or whatever you choose to use) . That is not what the Mosaic app was created for.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I’m fine with them not competing with Roon. I am interested in them creating a more robust GUI. If they’re not interested in designing something that offers more useablity, why not just use a handheld remote?..... I am new to DCS and this is meant as an honest question. What is their philosophy on this?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing