DCS Vivaldi

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
So your source in this case can not be synched to the clock. What clock synch mode are you using on your DAC, W, M or A (it's a icon with a Gear and a letter, word clock synch, Master Synch, or Audio)? It should be the gear with a W. And this configuration "should" give you better performance using ethernet. Do you have dither on or off? In my Vivaldi I use Gear W, Dither on for my ethernet source (Synology NAS with Roon)

PS my synology NAS isn't clockable either

I am set to W where it will automatically select either 1 or 2 depending upon the sample rate presented (either multiples of 44 or 48).

Currently I have dither on. At times I have preferred the sound with it off.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am set to W where it will automatically select either 1 or 2 depending upon the sample rate presented (either multiples of 44 or 48).

Currently I have dither on. At times I have preferred the sound with it off.

I to have preferred it off some. I usually just leave it on however. It seems like you have everything set right. When I was reading the Rossini Clock manual it says it's primary purpose is to improve ethernet and USB for your DAC. Are you using stock clock cables? I might try something like Cardas Clear (reasonable price) or if your Transparent dealer will let you barrow Ref XL (not reasonable price but darn good). I am still surprised by your outcome and I doubt cables are a root cause.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I to have preferred it off some. I usually just leave it on however. It seems like you have everything set right. When I was reading the Rossini Clock manual it says it's primary purpose is to improve ethernet and USB for your DAC. Are you using stock clock cables? I might try something like Cardas Clear (reasonable price) or if your Transparent dealer will let you barrow Ref XL (not reasonable price but darn good). I am still surprised by your outcome and I doubt cables are a root cause.

I am using Transparent Premium 75ohm BNC's. I will get another pair of ears in here to see if they hear a difference with the clock.

AudioAl

Aug 20, 2016
The timing (no pun intended) of this thread is uncanny. I own a Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler and I have an opportunity to add a Rossini clock to the stack.

I currently slave the Upsampler to the DAC master clock and I'm not sure how much of an improvement I would hear by adding an external clock.

I'm also not sure whether the Vivaldi clock would be preferred over the Rossini. My primary listening material is ripped redbook CDs and DSD files - all of which use 44.1KHz. The Rossini can source two 44.1 KHz clocks so it is possible to clock both the Upsampler and DAC. I'm not sure I'd ever use the 48KHz clock. Does the Vivaldi clock use better parts, power supplies etc?

One last thing... Has anyone used non-DCS clocks with the Vivaldi - like Antelope or others?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The timing (no pun intended) of this thread is uncanny. I own a Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler and I have an opportunity to add a Rossini clock to the stack.

I currently slave the Upsampler to the DAC master clock and I'm not sure how much of an improvement I would hear by adding an external clock.

I'm also not sure whether the Vivaldi clock would be preferred over the Rossini. My primary listening material is ripped redbook CDs and DSD files - all of which use 44.1KHz. The Rossini can source two 44.1 KHz clocks so it is possible to clock both the Upsampler and DAC. I'm not sure I'd ever use the 48KHz clock. Does the Vivaldi clock use better parts, power supplies etc?

One last thing... Has anyone used non-DCS clocks with the Vivaldi - like Antelope or others?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The Vivaldi does use better parts/power supplies/isolation etc. I bought my Vivaldi piece by piece from Scarlatti. I could clearly hear a improvement from the Scarlatti Clock to the Vivaldi Clock. Better definition, resolution, spacial portrayal. I play a lot of redbook via my upsampler. I am guessing your experience with a Rossini vs Vivaldi clock will be similar.

AudioAl

Aug 20, 2016
Thanks jfrech. That is exactly the feedback I am looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

number95

May 14, 2014
I exactly get what you meant by dryness and the emotional impact or say musical connectivity between the listener and the music itself. I did not try Altair II (I only heard a setup which is similar to mine with main exception that the owner switched from ARC Ref10 to Altair II and he was extremely pleased) it seems after last weekend test, I will seriously consider that. It is hilariously expensive for a preamp but if it is the only solution for my case given I already have Hercules amps, I may consider it. Obviously, if one has analog rig, it limits the optionality of using DAC as main volume controller unless one can get the pain of switching interconnectors from DAC to preamplifier each time analog is listened to.

Ok, the big day has come. Finally Altair II was added to the chain. From the first second (not even a moment) there was no going back to direct DCS connection to Hercules IIs. Out of the box, it has already been a major upgrade. With all due respect to DCS and Vivaldi ‘s direct connection performance which can challenge some very good preamps, that is still not a match for one of the very fine preamps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, the big day has come. Finally Altair II was added to the chain. From the first second (not even a moment) there was no going back to direct DCS connection to Hercules IIs. Out of the box, it has already been a major upgrade. With all due respect to DCS and Vivaldi ‘s direct connection performance which can challenge some very good preamps, that is still not a match for one of the very fine preamps.

Congratulations on owning what I consider the top of current high-end electronics. The Altair II/ Hercules II can recreate the space and energy encoded in stereo in a way no other electronics I have listened manage to.

number95

May 14, 2014
Congratulations on owning what I consider the top of current high-end electronics. The Altair II/ Hercules II can recreate the space and energy encoded in stereo in a way no other electronics I have listened manage to.

Many thanks Micro!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Congrats on your preamp !!! Is the Vivaldi Upsampler next? ;-)

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Congrats on your preamp !!! Is the Vivaldi Upsampler next? ;-)

YMMV ...but at least in my system...yet to find the UPS adds. indeed rather more compelling to add a 10 Mhz reference clock.

number95

May 14, 2014

ct545i

Nov 24, 2015
In case anyone may have interest in adding transport to their Vivaldi stack, I just listed mine for sale (silver finish, mint, latest software). Feel free to contact me for details.

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Hello All,

At risk of asking something addressed elsewhere, may I join the thread and ask Vivaldi owners who listen to DSD files how you are dealing with the file transition pops? The only solution I've is to either concatenate the tracks, or in the case of rips, rip to larger files. I was also curious if replacing the NBR with the Upsampler would help. Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Pleroma, what software version are you using? This maybe a issue that already been solved. I had this issue quite a while back but a software update fixed it ...

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Pleroma, what software version are you using? This maybe a issue that already been solved. I had this issue quite a while back but a software update fixed it ...

Hello fellow Texan;) If you're referring to SACD_EXTRACT, I'm using the lastest version for Windows from Github, which is 0.3.8. I'm also on the current dCS firmware versions.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello fellow Texan;) If you're referring to SACD_EXTRACT, I'm using the lastest version for Windows from Github, which is 0.3.8. I'm also on the current dCS firmware versions.

Hmm, yes I was referring to the dCS firmware. I have no file transition pops, but I am using mostly downloads vs SACD_Extract - so could something here. I am using a upsampler. What DAC are you using the network bridge with?

PS, let me know i you're even in the Austin area...

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Hmm, yes I was referring to the dCS firmware. I have no file transition pops, but I am using mostly downloads vs SACD_Extract - so could something here. I am using a upsampler. What DAC are you using the network bridge with?

PS, let me know i you're even in the Austin area...

I get pops with both DSD downloads and rips. Something else may be going on with my system, since the pops vary in volume from mere "ticks" to something like a "snap."

My setup is a custom Ubuntu file server with SSDs (JCAT Net card and Ethernet) -> NBR (Dual AES) -> Vivaldi -> D'Ag M400 -> Alexia 2. The power is on two dedicated, home runs with Shunyata Denalis 6000T (front end) and 2000T (amps). The sound is marvelous but for the pops with DSD. dCS has suggested I may have introduced a ground loop with the JCAT Signature Net cable from the LAN-server-NBR. The server-NBR link is bridged for direct connectivitiy to NBR (Re the "Romaz tweak" from CA), and I'm trying to get more info from JPLAY. Hopefully that wonderful cable's shielding is only ground at the source end, but don't know yet.

I tried a straight server (USB) -> Vivaldi and I was back to the expected "ticks" which can be unnoticed with certain tracks. But SQ was so degraded in comparison. That's why I was curious about replacing the NBR with the Upsampler.

PS - will do, planning something this Fall.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I get pops with both DSD downloads and rips. Something else may be going on with my system, since the pops vary in volume from mere "ticks" to something like a "snap."

My setup is custom file server (Ethernet) -> NBR (Dual AES) -> Vivaldi -> D'Ag M400 -> Alexia 2. The power is on two dedicated, home runs with Shunyata Denalis 6000T (front end) and 2000T (back end). The sound is marvelous but for the pops with DSD. dCS has suggested I may have introduced a ground loop with the JCAT Signature Net cable from the LAN to file and server to NBR (server to NBR link is bridged for direct connectivitiy), which I'm trying to get more info about from JPLAY. Hopefully that wonderful cable's shielding is only ground at the source end, but don't know yet.

PS - will do, planning something this Fall.

Hmm on the cable. I guess you can always swap it out for a $5 belden ethernet cable is see if that removes the pop. Then you have it narrowed down. Several of us had this issue, I believe when v2 of the software came out. But it was a stable same type of pop between tracks. A subsequent software update fixed it...

Maybe put a few files on a USB key, disconnect your fileserver and all ethernet cables and try the USB input only. PS, I rather like the USB file playback, it sounds a little different (more neutral/resolved) than my file server/ethernet ...

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
I added the line on USB after you grabbed the quote. I swapped the Ethernet for some cheap cable I had, but I just found out the AQ Pearl I tried is shielded. I have another issue of intermittent humming in the Alexia midrange, but may from the high A/C activity this time of year. I've been working with very kind post-production engineer from a download site; he has a few techiques for eliminating the ticks from downloads since often there are ticks in the material he receives. It may be a matter of how senstive a given system is to the DC offset, as well as the amount of DC offset, and the type of music (noticeable in quieter music that segues tracks).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing