dCS Users

What stack elements (besides the DAC) are ESSENTIAL to obtain the "magic" dCS sound?

• Total voters

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Currently I use Scarlatti clock. My Vivaldi system should arrive next month

Sorry, but are getting anything from DCS other than the DAC?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Complete replacement of Scarlatti with Vivaldi with DAC, upsampler and clock. I don't use transport. Main source is Aurender

Thanks. I still do not understand very well why the upsampler is needed. The Aurender dual-wire AES/EBU allows direct connection to the Vivaldi DAC with the best quality. Is it possible to upsample your files and download them already upsampled in the Aurender?

Custodian

May 26, 2013
Thanks. I still do not understand very well why the upsampler is needed. The Aurender dual-wire AES/EBU allows direct connection to the Vivaldi DAC with the best quality. Is it possible to upsample your files and download them already upsampled in the Aurender?

I think we have a communication breakdown here.

Aurender files may be 16/44 rips or 24 bit hires downloads. Certainly hires files can go direct to Dac, but others are upsampler. I also use Sonos, Crestron Adagio and satellite TV digital audio, all of which will benefit from upsampling

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think we have a communication breakdown here.

Aurender files may be 16/44 rips or 24 bit hires downloads. Certainly hires files can go direct to Dac, but others are upsampler. I also use Sonos, Crestron Adagio and satellite TV digital audio, all of which will benefit from upsampling

Perhaps I was not clear as I never used Aurender - can you rip 16/44 using a PC, upsample the file to 192/24 using some third party software and download the resulting file to Aurender?

Custodian

May 26, 2013
Perhaps I was not clear as I never used Aurender - can you rip 16/44 using a PC, upsample the file to 192/24 using some third party software and download the resulting file to Aurender?

Why would you want to when you have the excellent DCS upsampler?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Why would you want to when you have the excellent DCS upsampler?

Excellent but expensive. :) Also by audiophile curiosity. The Vivaldi sound fascinates me, but it is not simple to get a set to listen in my system.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
Excellent but expensive. :) Also by audiophile curiosity. The Vivaldi sound fascinates me, but it is not simple to get a set to listen in my system.

I understand. Certainly it is possible just to start with the DAC. If so, I would just input files with no additional external processing. I don't see much benefit in upsampling on the computer. What digital equipment do you use now?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I understand. Certainly it is possible just to start with the DAC. If so, I would just input files with no additional external processing. I don't see much benefit in upsampling on the computer. What digital equipment do you use now?

As I can not see the difference between carrying the upsampling in the computer or in the upsampler, I would really know.

Audio Research CD8 - it is a very good match with my all AR equipment and sounds better than it should in this particular environment. However I have listened a few times to the top DCS's and was really impressed.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Let's forget for a moment how the DAC is fed, whether through CD transport, USB-SPDIF converter, or build in USB (in case of Vivaldi).

Which components are essential to attain the full performance envelope of dCS converters?

I would like to hear from people who are judging based on first hand listening experience. I am not interested to go into a technical theoretical discussion regarding external clocking/upsampling.

I would also appreciate, if you vote, if you could post which converter the impression is based on (Vivaldi/Scarlatti/Paganini/Puccini).

Essential or desired...? I have been playing with my old Elgar Plus and Verdi set for ten years or so. Never felt the desire to put in an upsampler of external clock. But...I invested heavily in the best digital cable I could find (MIT Oracle MA Digital) which pushed up the quality enormously :)
However, putting in an dCS upsampler or clock would probably do a lot. dCS is hideously expensive but are also the best of the best if it comes to digital.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
So you want the one line answer. Simple. To get best performance from the stacks I own/have owned (original Verdi/Purcell/Elgar/clock; Scarlatti upsampler/clock/Dac; Vivaldi clock/upsampler/DAC) the answer is clear that each piece adds significant improvement. In addition, external 10MHz reference clock adds a large improvement also.

is you question really just "can I just get the DAC and still get the dCS magic?" then the answer is yes. They are very good DACS. If you want the best sound you can get, you'll need upsampler and clock also (and possibly an external reference clock).

Now people will immediately ask "why? or how much improvement? and what technical reasons produce the improvement.

I suppose the simple answer to your original request is to listen to a DAC, then add an upsampler, then add a clock and see if it sounds better to you.Not sure what else people can add.

Cables also have an impact, surprisingly particularly in the clock set up. I use Siltech Signature range which work well for me. I've used MIT and Transapernt which were also good but I prefer the Siltech.

budda

Mar 29, 2013
Norway
Where to by external 10mhz reference clock to the scarlatti clock and how mutch is it ?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
SRS PERF10 is around $4k, and Antelope 10M is $6k. SRS is better.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Showing again my ignorance about the Vivaldi stack - does the signal go through the upsampler when listening to DCS DFF files?

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Showing again my ignorance about the Vivaldi stack - does the signal go through the upsampler when listening to DCS DFF files?

I would hope not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing