Nagra Classic Tube Dac or MSB Reference Dac

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
Any one have experience with both? Have Audio Research Ref6SE preamp and Ref160S amp with Wilson Alexia. Transparent Reference cabling, cords, XLR. Demoed the MSB in home. Very pleased with performance.
Thanks
Woots

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi, as mentioned in the other thread you started, I would check out the very detailed Brazilian reviews, as he has tested both.
Spoiler alert: he prefers the Nagra.

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
Hi, as mentioned in the other thread you started, I would check out the very detailed Brazilian reviews, as he has tested both.
Spoiler alert: he prefers the Nagra.
Zeotrope,

I did get the Nagra Classic Tube Dac and have had it for one year now. I love it. Now I am looking at comparing CH Precision to Nagra for pre amps and amps. I think you responded to my other thread. Seems like we have the same taste.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes, indeed! The same reviewer has also reviewed the Nagra and CH pre and power amps.
I don’t think anyone, except DartZeel, can match Nagra’s HD Preamp. And if you get the pre, it makes sense to get the amp (at least at some point), as there are important synergies for any manufacturer between pre and power amp.
Generally, the Nagra is viewed as more “musical” with no loss is detail, soundstage, noise floor, speed, etc, that the CH has. Of course you can’t really go wrong with either, and some will prefer the CH. For example, if your speakers are tonally warmer than neutral, maybe you would prefer the CH to balance the sound.

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
Yes, indeed! The same reviewer has also reviewed the Nagra and CH pre and power amps.
I don’t think anyone, except DartZeel, can match Nagra’s HD Preamp. And if you get the pre, it makes sense to get the amp (at least at some point), as there are important synergies for any manufacturer between pre and power amp.
Generally, the Nagra is viewed as more “musical” with no loss is detail, soundstage, noise floor, speed, etc, that the CH has. Of course you can’t really go wrong with either, and some will prefer the CH. For example, if your speakers are tonally warmer than neutral, maybe you would prefer the CH to balance the sound.
I have the Wilson Alexia V’s. Right now my amp and preamp are Audio Research Ref160s amp and Ref6se preamp. It’s not that I’m unhappy with my sound but would prefer to be in solid state amp and pre if possible and the sound is right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing