Crystal Disc US$1600 was played with Genesis Speaker

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
of course they sound different... we're Audiophiles!!

Ripping to the discs to a computer makes them all sound the same, but different from the discs, in a subjectively better way.

Thanks Bruce. That is what I suspected. So for computer audio purposes it makes sense to buy the least expensive version as long as it's the exact same mastering.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
So as long as I rip my $6 used CD to my hard drive, it will sound better than a $1600 Crystal disc?

I'm good.

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
So as long as I rip my $6 used CD to my hard drive, it will sound better than a $1600 Crystal disc?

I'm good.

Tim

Yes, if you purchase the $1600 Crystal Disc and rip it the correct way, it will sound better.

I don't know anything about your $6 used CD

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yes, if you purchase the $1600 Crystal Disc and rip it the correct way, it will sound better.

I don't know anything about your $6 used CD

Evidently I misunderstood what was being said. I thought you said all 16/44.1 sounded the same once ripped. But you're saying the crystal disc sounds different when its data is ripped to hard drive? So it's not the disc that makes a difference, it's the data itself that is different?

Tim

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Evidently I misunderstood what was being said. I thought you said all 16/44.1 sounded the same once ripped. But you're saying the crystal disc sounds different when its data is ripped to hard drive? So it's not the disc that makes a difference, it's the data itself that is different?

Tim

I just made the comment about the Crystal disc. I don't know anything about other discs. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Just depends on what computer/player/DAC you're using.
I can play a disc in my Playback Designs and it will sound better than a rip using an old laptop/iTunes/Stello DAC.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I just made the comment about the Crystal disc. I don't know anything about other discs. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. Just depends on what computer/player/DAC you're using.
I can play a disc in my Playback Designs and it will sound better than a rip using an old laptop/iTunes/Stello DAC.

Just to be clear - Bruce means that he doesn't know what your $6 used CD will sound like.

When we did the session, Bruce said that all the various CD versions of that particular album when ripped correctly null to infinity and sound the same. The rip of the Crystal Disc sounded the same as the rip of the AQCD and the ordinary CD.

Bruce, please correct me if I mis-remember what you said.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just to be clear - Bruce means that he doesn't know what your $6 used CD will sound like.

When we did the session, Bruce said that all the various CD versions of that particular album when ripped correctly null to infinity and sound the same. The rip of the Crystal Disc sounded the same as the rip of the AQCD and the ordinary CD.

Bruce, please correct me if I mis-remember what you said.

That is correct Gary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing