Count Basie

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I used to have a double LP called I think,Count at the coast.
It was a live recording I think from 59´with Sonny Payne.The LP got lost.
I cant find it now on CD.
Lil Darlin was on it in a much faster version than the Studio version.
Anybody knows if it is still available?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What's the video like? Just stills? Anything?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sinatra at the Sands - With Count Basie & The Orchestra | DVD-Audio (2003 Release)

That 2003 DVD-Audio content (programs):

1. Dolby Digital & 5.1 Surround Sound [All DVD players] * Highly compressed (Lossy)
2. Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit) [DVD-Audio players] * Very Good! (Lossless)
3. Advanced Resolution Stereo (192kHz/24-bit) [DVD-Audio players] * Very Best! (Lossless)
4. Photo Gallery [All DVD Players] * That's right; 'still' photos (Low Definition)

* More Technical Info: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...nel-stereo-remix-vs-eotc.197162/#post-4872435

- Just in case, for people who don't know; you need a DVD-Audio player to play the hi-res audio soundtracks.
Just a regular DVD-Video player don't cut it. ...You'll only get highly compressed Dolby Digital sound.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks Bob!

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I used to have a double LP called I think,Count at the coast.
It was a live recording I think from 59´with Sonny Payne.The LP got lost.
I cant find it now on CD.
Lil Darlin was on it in a much faster version than the Studio version.
Anybody knows if it is still available?

And a friend of the band wanted to test his new stereo recording equipment and that explains the loose atmosphere on the recording,they were just doing their thing.
But anybody....has it been reissued and if so what is it called now?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And a friend of the band wanted to test his new stereo recording equipment and that explains the loose atmosphere on the recording,they were just doing their thing.
But anybody....has it been reissued and if so what is it called now?

Hopefully Mark, AKA Jazzdoc can chime in here. If anybody here knows the answer, I think it would be Mark.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Count Basie Live at The Sands: Before Frank Sinatra MFSL

I received my copy a week ago and just played it last night. mobile did a wonderful job with the remaster and its good value to boot, a double LP for the 39 bucks with dead quiet pressings.

The sonics are great, albeit vintage with a rolled off top and like so many recordings of that era the brass congeals with pronounced glare when everything goes full tilt - but never hard sounding (in the digital sense). In quieter passages the sound staging and spot lighting are marvelous and the ambience captured is spacious. The audience participation (enthusiasm?) adds authenticity - it truly makes you feel you were at The Sands all those years ago.

The record really swings, on a scale of 1-10 I rate the music a 9, 8 for sonics. this title must be a brisk seller, two of the major resellers were out of stock and my numbered copy is up there #001589. If you don't have it yet, make sure its on your next order or forever be sorry:b

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Rob.

This is one of my favorite 'live' Basie albums and I frequently demo from the CD. I've never found a quiet LP, so if the re-issue is as good as you say, it will be a classic.

Do you have the MFSL of Sinatra Live at the Sands with Count Basie? How does it compare? I have the DVD-Audio and it has fabulous swing! Better than the re-issue LP, but not as good as the original pressing. Unfortunately, the original press does not have as good sound and is noisy compared to the re-issue.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
my MFSL Sinatra at the Sands is still sealed when I feel inspired i'll pop the cork. I played the original reprise press so much I could see through the vinyl. when the RBCD was released it satisfied whatever cravings I had left. jazzdoc seems to have all versions and is partial to the mono vers im sure he'll chime in...

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
My favorite. Count Basie Kansas City shout 1980. Pablo . It's orange , black and white. Joe turner and Eddie clean head.

Al

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Don't overlook some of the Roulette LPs...I like this one

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I received my copy a week ago and just played it last night. mobile did a wonderful job with the remaster and its good value to boot, a double LP for the 39 bucks with dead quiet pressings.

The sonics are great, albeit vintage with a rolled off top and like so many recordings of that era the brass congeals with pronounced glare when everything goes full tilt - but never hard sounding (in the digital sense). In quieter passages the sound staging and spot lighting are marvelous and the ambience captured is spacious. The audience participation (enthusiasm?) adds authenticity - it truly makes you feel you were at The Sands all those years ago.

The record really swings, on a scale of 1-10 I rate the music a 9, 8 for sonics. this title must be a brisk seller, two of the major resellers were out of stock and my numbered copy is up there #001589. If you don't have it yet, make sure its on your next order or forever be sorry:b

I know this discussion of Count Basie and his Orchestra Live at the Sands is focused on the LP version but thought I would add the following note for anyone interested in the MFSL SACD. Rob nailed it in his comments above. The same can be said for the SACD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing