Connecting studio monitors to laptop

anarsoliveira

Feb 12, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have a very basic question.

I have two KRK VXT6 studio monitors (https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/krk-systems-vxt6-studio-monitors-161598) and I want to connect them to my laptop via an audio interface, which I haven't bought yet.
I found a cheap used Line 6 UX1 audio interface (https://line6.com/pod-studio/ux1/) that I believe will work fine.
Can I use a dual minijack to jack headphone adapter to connect the two monitors (using a male XLR to jack cable) to the interface, since it only has one headphone socket? Will it work fine or is there a better set-up you would recommend to get the best sound out of the monitors? Should I look for other audio interfaces that have two outputs for the monitors?

I will be using the monitors mainly for listening to music and YouTube videos. Eventually I may also want to set up a hardware synth (later).

My research took me this far but now I can't seem to find the best solution.

Thank you for your help!
Ana

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
An interesting problem. I was able tp connect my smartphone to my receiver via the headhoné jack.
Are your speakers powered by a receiver or other amplification? Or are you trying to hook tjem. directly tp your computer.
My new reciever connects my smartphone via bluetooth.

anarsoliveira

Feb 12, 2020
I'm trying to connect the monitors to my laptop, but it seems I need an audio interface to do that. I'm just trying to figure out the simplest way to that without compromising sound quality and within a budget. I found a used interface for 50€ and I'm trying to understand if that would work. I know very little about the topic but I'm trying to learn... Thanks!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ana

It appears the UX1 has two TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) 1/4" outputs. These cables can be had at practically any length you might need at any music instrument store. No need for any adapters. Your KRK's inputs are combo inputs (XLR and TRS) so they will surely work. If you are having cables custom cut and assembled for you at the musician store remember to tell them the following

Tip - High
Ring - Low
Sleeve - Ground

Hope this helps :)

J

Reactions: rando

anarsoliveira

Feb 12, 2020
Thank you for your help!
So I can use the TRS 1/4" outputs (what they call analog outs in the specs) to connect the monitors? I thought I had to use the headphone output. I already have those cables.
This is all very new to me, so thank you!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I hope we are on the same pahe. Theese are the cables I used. You may need an additional headphome jack adapter. The brand name is Belkin. My apology if I am off base. Oh yeah they connect to your AUX input jack. I don't know the retail prce I got them at the Llthrift store used for 2 dollars.
20200212_103059.jpg

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup, that is what they are for. No problem Ana and you are very welcome.

All you'll need to do after hooking up via USB (cable is the one used for printers) is select the UX1 as your audio output device in your laptop. I haven't used a PC in decades but in Mac it is in System Preferences > Sound>Output Device

:)

Shucks, the literature says you will need an internet connection to activate. I suppose a prompt will appear on screen. Just follow the directions. Hopefully if it asks for a device specific code, it will be included somewhere with your purchase. Typically it is a long narrow sticker pasted somewhere. Do ask the previous owner about this or see if you can get an answer from Line 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: anarsoliveira

anarsoliveira

Feb 12, 2020
O hope we are on the same pahe. Theese are the cables I used. You may need an additipnal headphome jack adapter. The brand mame is Belkin. My apology if I am off base. Oh yeah they connect to your AUX output jack. I don,t know retail prce I got them at thrift store used for 2 dollars.
View attachment 61522

Thank you, already have the answer I was looking for!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Good. Was it the one Jack siggested? I would like to know for my own edification. I might want to try it myself.
Thank yoi.

Last edited:

anarsoliveira

Feb 12, 2020
Hi again,
So, I bought the UX1, downloaded the drivers and selected it as the audio output device on my laptop. Cables should be working fine too but no sound comes out of the monitors... Troubleshooting didn't solve the issue. What could I be missing or doing wrong? Again, this is all pretty new to me. Appreciate your feedback! Pics attached.

Attachments

• 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 6

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looks to me like you should have the cables going to the speakers in the "Analog Out".... NOT the input....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
yup

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing