Confessions of a audio tweaker and the quest for the live illusion.

To add some meat to what I've been saying so far, and in the context of what this thread is focused on, I thought I would throw in a little rundown here on some of the current "work" I'm doing on the HT setup, to shed a bit more light on what I think is relevant ...

For some months now I've been running without subwoofer, to prevent any cross interference between the two powered boxes (main case and powered subwoofer) from confusing the situation -- so nothing much was happening below 200Hz! This has allowed fine tuning of how cables are routed in the case, and the use of spacing and damping materials to be played with in the main unit.

Now reasonably happy, so time to reconnect subwoofer. First thing noticed, polarity of power to the bass unit absolutely crucial: originally it used one of those two pin mains connectors that can fit either way, long since discarded for hardwiring. If polarity now the wrong way, quality plummets dramatically. The only connection with the main box is a coaxial lead for the bass signal, also hardwired; there is no earthing aspect to the setup, in fact as soon as the signal enters the subwoofer it goes through a simple slide switch to allow the phase of the unit to be reversed; this of course is also bypassed.

Now, where exactly to pull in the power for the subwoofer? Separate outlet from wall, separate circuit, hardwire lead to main boxes power lead, before or after passive filtering in the lead, these all make large differences, each configuration needs to be checked out. Anyway, a quick play around shows hard wiring after passive filtering is giving reasonable results, will do for now.

Try how it performs over a day: typically it starts sounding a bit ordinary, builds up over a few hours, and then slowly goes off song. The latter is a typical digital malaise, which a lot of effort has to go into to sort out. Not bad, not bad, weakest link in the normal sense is the subwoofer, it has various subtle resonances, the whole box needs to braced, damped and stabilised on a more rigid surface, none of which have I done yet.

The interesting experiment yesterday was a James Galway playing flute, called Classical Meditations. Yep, just what it sounds like, the sort of recording you got for mum on Mother's Day, designed to sound good on any bit of rubbish that could play a CD. My wife uses it for doing a style of Chinese stretching exercises, so very familiar with it. But when the system is humming, it springs into life and becomes something special ...

So, put it on and my wife said it wasn't right, it needs to be louder. So I ended up very quickly running at maximum volume, my wife was enjoying it, it was loud but I felt and she agreed, that there was still something not quite in the groove and so I did the last thing I normally do now to optimise performance and disconnected completely the last bit of the cordless home phone setup, a couple of rooms away. Ah, that's it! Now the sound fully blossomed as Roger would say, we now had a full version of the "big sound", dynamic, intense, the string section in the distance now had the right richness and bite, etc ...

So that's the sort of thing I have to worry about, showing that even mediocre electronics can be pushed to become as sensitive to the environment as any high end gear. That sensitivity is both a boon and a curse, just as for expensive gear, because you are always chasing down the next weakness. As I have just determined, I am still having issues with radio frequency interference, the RFI/EMI Roger talks of. A headache, but the rewards when you get it right are great ...

Frank

Last edited:
Keep at it Frank, it's the noise(rfi emi).

Frank,

The other night I played the Neil Young live at Massey Hall dvd sampled at 48,now that was pretty spectacular!

It is but you should hear the LP! One of the best sounding in my collection!

In my research I have come across this product,

http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillponts/ers_specs.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13470.0

After reading John L.'s excellant review,the signature sound of reduced RFI-EMI in the system is a more "relaxed" sound. At some point I might try this but so far I have experienced no downside as John did using too much absorbtion material. The super highway does not color or influence the sound.
What is recorded is what you hear no more,no less. The ERS might be a good alternative for those who do not want wires fastened to their equipment,for me that is not a issue.

I listened to Puccini's Turandot with Dame Sutherland and Pavarotti last night,the thing that stood out was the almost lifesize soundstage and dynamics. This recording is thought by some to be the opera recording of the century. Last nights listen convinced me they may well be right about that.

I think the system is up 100 pct now,well I hope so. The Turandot performance was about 97 pct uncongested which is a incredible feat considering the massive Puccini spectacle. I will try one more thing and see if there is any improvement. The tweaker in me never stops in the quest for the live illusion.

I have been meaning to try the ERS cloth for some time. Just never got around to it. This may push me over the edge.

I think the system is up 100 pct now,well I hope so. The Turandot performance was about 97 pct uncongested which is a incredible feat considering the massive Puccini spectacle. I will try one more thing and see if there is any improvement. The tweaker in me never stops in the quest for the live illusion.
Roger, the goal is 100% uncongested. The word "congestion" is a giveaway, this is distortion, pure and simple. Every system is capable of 100% "uncongestion", on every recording, at every point on a track, even at the mightiest crescendo; it's just very, very hard to get there. But as you say, bear with it: your recordings are just waiting to be unleashed in all their glory ... :D

Frank

I just wanted to post this for reference.

EMCproblem.gif

Link

http://www.emcuk.co.uk/awareness/Index.htm

Well I received my ferrite cores(4) today and placed them on my speaker cables at the amplifier end. The instant reaction was a improvement in overall clarity,but of course I will reserve final judgement for some time. The cost was about 40 bucks so just a experiment.

http://leadertechinc.com/PDFs/ferrites/CS28B1642.pdf

Here is a picture of the ferrites in place on the speaker cables and the dual 10 ga wires connected on the back of my monoblocks. I have been listening a little, but I noticed that the ferrites have reset the system gain on my preamp volume pot, a sign that the ferrites are having a effect.
It seems like the energy has taken a step back and if past is prologue I should experience more clarity,natural bloom,ambience,tonal saturation when that energy settles inward again.

This is fun stuff.

DSCN2335.jpg

Last edited:
The Ferrites are a big success so far. Relaxed is the word with a capital "R",just so beautiful and these are the CD's I have put on so far.

c062225b9da02e833ea36110_L.jpg

41H41XZJPAL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

I used the CS28B1984 1.218 30,9 .705 17,9 1.220 31,0 .525 13,3 62 @ 100MHz part#, They fit somewhat loosely on the wire,which i wanted if I decided to move them to the middle section of the cable.

These ferrites came up quickly as they only effect the speaker cable. That was the only part of the system that was left with out the RFI/EMI treatment. It was appearent straight away that the ferrites were an improvement. Very very nice and couldn't be happier.

Hi Roger,

I use some ferrite filters on most of my Power cords and some of my ICs. Maybe I should consider some at least for my front L and R speakers and go from there on the other channels possibly later down the line. But, with pairs of speaker cables for 3 of the speakers that could become a lot of additional ferrite filters.

I look forward to hearing more of your experience using the ferrite filters on your speaker cables.

Rich

Roger, you are of course well aware that the better the system becomes the more sensitive it becomes to everything. I'm looking at the image of the back of your system, and it appears that you're not taking any particular care with the positioning and spacing of cables from each other. My experience is that this can become critical at higher levels of performance, so I would suggest you try some experiments along these lines. For example, have you tried cable elevators, twisting cables or maintaining constant distances between forward and return conductors. The only trouble with trying things like this is that the cables have to "settle down" after every bout of fiddling, to get a true indication of the benefit, so it could take some time to experiment with every situation; but I would suggest it could be well worth it ...

I've got my friend with the fairly modest analogue focused setup quite obsessive about this now, and it certainly has paid dividends for him.

Frank

Hi Roger,

I use some ferrite filters on most of my Power cords and some of my ICs. Maybe I should consider some at least for my front L and R speakers and go from there on the other channels possibly later down the line. But, with pairs of speaker cables for 3 of the speakers that could become a lot of additional ferrite filters.

I look forward to hearing more of your experience using the ferrite filters on your speaker cables.

Rich

Rich and I thought I was breaking new ground here,lol.

It's great that you have experience with ferrites. I'll post some thoughts tonight. thanks.

Roger, you are of course well aware that the better the system becomes the more sensitive it becomes to everything. I'm looking at the image of the back of your system, and it appears that you're not taking any particular care with the positioning and spacing of cables from each other. My experience is that this can become critical at higher levels of performance, so I would suggest you try some experiments along these lines. For example, have you tried cable elevators, twisting cables or maintaining constant distances between forward and return conductors. The only trouble with trying things like this is that the cables have to "settle down" after every bout of fiddling, to get a true indication of the benefit, so it could take some time to experiment with every situation; but I would suggest it could be well worth it ...

I've got my friend with the fairly modest analogue focused setup quite obsessive about this now, and it certainly has paid dividends for him.

Frank

frank thanks for the reminder,these snakes can be hard to tame.

Hi Roger,

Rich

My God Rich it's transcendent, i've got bloom over my head,in back of me. I'm speechless.

You say you use these on other cables,that means it can get better!

Hi Roger,

I only use ferrite filters on 3 pair of particular IC that was included with the cables from Kevin in Taiwan; at this time, these cables still have to be returned to the system specifically for multichannel SACD and DVD-A playback. I do not have any on any of the ICs in the rest of the system at this point.

I do have them on the Power Cords at this point for my 2 subwoofers, all 5 power amps, my turntable, Phono Preamp, Preamp, Pre/Pro, DAC, both players, and one of the 2 Isolation Transformers.

Rich

Hi Roger,

I only use ferrite filters on 3 pair of particular IC that was included with the cables from Kevin in Taiwan; at this time, these cables still have to be returned to the system specifically for multichannel SACD and DVD-A playback. I do not have any on any of the ICs in the rest of the system at this point.

I do have them on the Power Cords at this point for my 2 subwoofers, all 5 power amps, my turntable, Phono Preamp, Preamp, Pre/Pro, DAC, both players, and one of the 2 Isolation Transformers.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I've been listening to the Nelson Riddle CD, just a beautiful piece of music. The music has a "human" quality now,I have gotten glimpses of that before,but this breathes and I get the feeling of there is a muscian on the other end of the instrument. I don't even have it loud and I have a natural bloom over my head and in back of me. There's 35 to 40 feet behind me and I haven't even turned my psycho's on,just my 2 satellites.

My God Rich it's transcendent, i've got bloom over my head,in back of me. I'm speechless.

You say you use these on other cables,that means it can get better!
Roger, it can always get better! At this point you start using your "worst" recordings, the most "congested" ones in your collection and monitor the performance of these as a guide as to whether something is an improvement or not. Your mission, should you choose to accept it :D, is to have transcendency and bloom for the really, really bad stuff!!

Frank

Frank,

That's funny. I think it's nap time so I can listen late tonight. I am stoked.

Hi Rich,

I've been listening to the Nelson Riddle CD, just a beautiful piece of music. The music has a "human" quality now,I have gotten glimpses of that before,but this breathes and I get the feeling of there is a muscian on the other end of the instrument. I don't even have it loud and I have a natural bloom over my head and in back of me. There's 35 to 40 feet behind me and I haven't even turned my psycho's on,just my 2 satellites.
Keep talking, Roger! You've got to convince others of what's possible, so they're motivated to also follow this path ...

Cheers,
Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing