Concord DBA-10

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I've dusted off my 1520 machine and have wired in the DBA-10. Does anyone here have a manual for the Concord? I want to check the calibration and I plumb forgot what to do.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've dusted off my 1520 machine and have wired in the DBA-10. Does anyone here have a manual for the Concord? I want to check the calibration and I plumb forgot what to do.

? Isn't the DBA-10 a cheap cassette deck? I assume by 1520 you mean the Technics R2R. Why are you hooking up a $100 cassette deck?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
The DBA-10 is an outboard Dolby C unit from Nakamichi, it looks like a piece of junk but it's one of the best Dolby C units sonically. Many reel to reels were Dolby C encoded. If you don't decode them they are hot. And yes, the 1520 is the Technics R2R.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
That is the unit pictured. The listings says it's a Cassette deck but that's an error. I thought it was a Dolby C, but I must be mistaken. I went through five or six top rated outboard Dolby units and stumbled upon this one as a lark. It was far less pinched sounding than the big (and far better looking) TEACs. I've been into tape for 35 years. I believe even the low speed pre-recorded 7.5 IPS tapes are more involving than LPs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have one of the TEAC Dolby units. I do believe that 7 1/2 ips tape has a story to tell, it's just too bad it's a noisy story because the message is awesome.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Yup. +1 here.

I am playing 7.5 tapes for Terry today and she is blown away. You just have to eat the hiss. The Cleveland Symphony was just at our house.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Do you have the Blood Sweat and Tears tape at 7 1/2 ips? The one that has Spinning Wheel on it? What a tape.

RTM

Aug 17, 2023
New member here. I have every original iteration of most of the B, S&T Reels and they're all terrific sounding. The quality of their music (at that time in particular) is, for me, a foregone conclusion as it was all wonderful. I came across this thread after I recently acquired a Concord DBA-10 Dolby B NR unit. I'm looking forward to restoring it. If anyone ever found a manual for it, I'd sure like to have one. PM me if you do!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing