CH Precision C1 DAC Power Cord/Upgrade recommendations?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had big step to add X1 with 2 board to L1 and P1
Also my friend has L1,P1 and X1 with 2 board and i brought my X1 to try in his system L1 with his X1 and P1 with my X1 and the difference was dramatic
Much much better 2 X1 that one X1 with 2 board.

We tried in both system for 2 weeks,in june, Gobel power cord and we had another shock
Sound much more natural,transparent,depht and speaker disappear and perfect deep and controlled bass.

Now my friend is saving money to buy X1 without board,he has already 2 board and Gobel cable,and i save money to buy Goble cable and could be L 10

Unfortunately i was thinking to buy Goble power cord for X1 and keep my cable,one silvercore and one ANUK Sogon for L1 and P1 thinking doesn't matter good cable there,instead i tried also Gobel on L1 and P1 and was big difference,so i need to buy also for this.

Same for M1,idea was Gobel for 20 A and one cheap for 15A but trying all Goble difference was big also here.
So for one side i am very happy for big step i can do in my system,for other side i am disappointed for a lot of money i have to spend

Reactions: CKKeung and JayT

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Also my friend has L1,P1 and X1 with 2 board and i brought my X1 to try in his system L1 with his X1 and P1 with my X1 and the difference was dramatic

We tried in both system for 2 weeks,in june, Gobel power cord and we had another shock
Sound much more natural,transparent,depht and speaker disappear and perfect deep and controlled bass.

Now my friend is saving money to buy X1 without board,he has already 2 board and Gobel cable,and i save money to buy Goble cable and could be L 10

Unfortunately i was thinking to buy Goble power cord for X1 and keep my cable,one silvercore and one ANUK Sogon for L1 and P1 thinking doesn't matter good cable there,instead i tried also Gobel on L1 and P1 and was big difference,so i need to buy also for this.

Same for M1,idea was Gobel for 20 A and one cheap for 15A but trying all Goble difference was big also here.
So for one side i am very happy for big step i can do in my system,for other side i am disappointed for a lot of money i have to spend
this is what happens when you get your wish!!! it costs you money LOL

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia

Gian

Are u saying that the p1 needs a good power cord even after it has been connected to an x1?

I just got an x1 for my p1 and fortunately I am using good pcs on both of them. But I was hoping to use the pc on the p1 for something else. With your comments maybe I have to leave it where it is.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
If you have like me P1 and X1,sure the big step is putting a good power cable first in X1

I was thinking that no need top power cable on P1 because all go to X1,but when i had Gobel power cord to try and i put one on P1 also i found big difference and was very surprised.
And on P1 i have ANUK Sogon with top Furutech,so is not a cheap cable

Reactions: Elliot G. and pweg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I am interested in finding out more about the Taiko Audio, but was wondering for a first purchase, should I go for a D2 or D3 first? I am quite interested to know how they performed with the C1.
D2 gives a more vivid & snappy sound whereas D3 is smoother/more analog.
It depends partly on your system.
Most of my C1 owner friends prefer D2.

Reactions: JayT

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Hello Gian60,
My CH owner friends and I did experiments on their C1 and P1 and found the same result.
Adding separate X1 to P1/C1/L1 gives much more improvement than one X1 with 2 output cards.
Also, the powercord on P1/C1/L1 even after adding X1 to them, still affects the final sonic performance.

BTW the effect of X1 on P1 is particularly awesome. The P1 will become one of the best phonoamps in the market after pairing with a X1. A must-buy for P1 owners!

Last edited:

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
I would agree that a dedicated X1 for a P1 (and same is true for a dedicated X1 for an L1) is a much bigger improvement that splitting an X1 between 2 CH components. I'd recommend that you try 2 P1's in full dual mono mode (without any X1's) and compare that to a stereo P1 with a dedicated X1 and see what you think.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I would agree that a dedicated X1 for a P1 (and same is true for a dedicated X1 for an L1) is a much bigger improvement that splitting an X1 between 2 CH components. I'd recommend that you try 2 P1's in full dual mono mode (without any X1's) and compare that to a stereo P1 with a dedicated X1 and see what you think.
Eventually it may end up in two P1 + two X1 !
o_O

However it's lucky that CH Precision users can do the upgrade stepwisely.
:cool:

Reactions: Elliot G.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I read trial on monoandstereo of P1 mono with 2 X1 and I remember,if I don’t wrong,that wrote that X1 is a big step while use P1 in mono is not big step while having P1 mono with 2 X1 is incredible

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
A dedicated X1 to any of the CH components, C1, L1 or P1 is a significant upgrade and well worth the money. My original system was without any X-1's and I have added them and the results took the system to incredible new levels.

Reactions: CKKeung

hifidelitea

Sep 27, 2021
Singapore
JayT, welcome to CH precision ownership and congratulations on your purchase. As several members have pointed out, power cords will be a matter of personal taste once one begins trying well engineered and built brands. There are some solid recommendations here and that you have tried. We have had good results with Nordost at shows.

You asked what should be the next upgrade and I will give you my perspective. You did not indicate if your C1 DAC is HD. If not, this should be your next upgrade. The HD upgrade improves the performance of the C1 by implementing new upsampling and digital filters. These are used on ALL digital inputs; HD-Link, USB, ethernet, AES/EBU, etc. The upgrade is available from our dealers for $2,500 and the unit can be updated at your home in about an hour. Let me know if you need a dealer recommendation by writing me a private email.

After HD, the next upgrade you should consider is the X1 power supply. The X1 will drop the noise floor even further providing more details, and improve the foundation of the presentation. If you decide to invest in a power cord now and do the X1 later, no problem. Just move the power cord to the X1 and use the stock 15amp cord on the C1. Once you connect a C1 to its external supply, all audio circuits are powered by the X1 and only the display and control circuits are driven by the internal power supply of the C1.

Finally, the T1 clock also improves performance of the digital front-end especially when one is clocking multiple units such as a C1, D1 combination. The T1 is an essential component when using our C1 Mono DAC.
...Just move the power cord to the X1 and use the stock 15amp cord on the C1. Once you connect a C1 to its external supply, all audio circuits are powered by the X1 and only the display and control circuits are driven by the internal power supply of the C1....

This is useful information. I'm still using the Gryphon VIP Reference power cord for the C1/D1 after adding the X1 to the system. It's an overkill. I would now use the Gryphon cables for the pair of Bryston Active Crossover units instead. Thanks for this useful info.

Reactions: MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing