CH Precision 10 series

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had tube amp since 1978 to 2016,except 1988/1991 ML 6b with 8 ML N 20

I had normal tube amp,ARC D 90B,D52,D79,D250,Jadis 30/60/200/500,Counterpoin SA 4,Klimo beltaine,Carver Silver Seven,
I had OTL amp,Mactone M8V mono,Klimo OTL mono,Panthere
I had vintage tube,MC 240,30,60,75,Leak TL 12 Plus,Radford STA 15 MK III,QUAD II,ARC D 79,Rogers
I had very good tube,Shindo Catherine and Petrus with Shinonia and WE 300B,ANJ Neiro Silver,Audio Tekne 9501
I had fantastic tube pre and amp,2 pre reference Dyssanayake,Audio tekne 8601 and 9501 pre and amp 8502 mono,Yamato,Yamamura pre and amp 8 stack with 320 kg weight and all with superpermalloy trans,ANJ M10 with Baransu,Kageki,Ongaku,Gakuon,Kondo M7 KSL ,Souga

I always had simple and mid high efficiency speaker like Audiotekne CB 8716,Audiotekne 3 way horn with ALE driver,Yamamura 3 way,Klipsch La Scala 2,Electrovoice Sentry III,Quad Corner Ribbon,Montagna,so all speakers perfect with triode.

I love some of these tube amp and would like to have for a second system,but my CH never will change for some of this,my only idea is to upgrade to 10 series.

If i had Audiotekne 8716 one way speaker with supertweeter ALE 1750 DEP like i had probabli will use Kondo G70 and new Ongaku.

Reactions: ddk

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am agree with David,he is selling from turntable/cartridges to speakers among the more natural and fantistic products

Reactions: ddk

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had tube amp since 1978 to 2016,except 1988/1991 ML 6b with 8 ML N 20

I had normal tube amp,ARC D 90B,D52,D79,D250,Jadis 30/60/200/500,Counterpoin SA 4,Klimo beltaine,Carver Silver Seven,
I had OTL amp,Mactone M8V mono,Klimo OTL mono,Panthere
I had vintage tube,MC 240,30,60,75,Leak TL 12 Plus,Radford STA 15 MK III,QUAD II,ARC D 79,Rogers
I had very good tube,Shindo Catherine and Petrus with Shinonia and WE 300B,ANJ Neiro Silver,Audio Tekne 9501
I had fantastic tube pre and amp,2 pre reference Dyssanayake,Audio tekne 8601 and 9501 pre and amp 8502 mono,Yamato,Yamamura pre and amp 8 stack with 320 kg weight and all with superpermalloy trans,ANJ M10 with Baransu,Kageki,Ongaku,Gakuon,Kondo M7 KSL ,Souga

I always had simple and mid high efficiency speaker like Audiotekne CB 8716,Audiotekne 3 way horn with ALE driver,Yamamura 3 way,Klipsch La Scala 2,Electrovoice Sentry III,Quad Corner Ribbon,Montagna,so all speakers perfect with triode.

I love some of these tube amp and would like to have for a second system,but my CH never will change for some of this,my only idea is to upgrade to 10 series.

If i had Audiotekne 8716 one way speaker with supertweeter ALE 1750 DEP like i had probabli will use Kondo G70 and new Ongaku.
Wow...just incredible. I have to admit, I do not know (certainly not heard) a number of these. But I certainly DO recognize some of these legendary pieces, such as Shindo Petrus, WE 300B, ANJ M10, Ongaku, Gakuon, M7, Souga, work from Be Yamamura, etc, etc.

Incredible to think all of these legendary pieces (and more!) find their way to high power solid state, CH Precision.

As I 'think' I understood from JackD201, is part of the CH magic the fact that it can rival the 'crystalline purity' of SET amps? Some of these tubes are surely in that 'magic' category for some audiophiles...how would you describe the magic of CH for you (from a tube person's perspective)?

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
I can partly understand the enthusiasm for CH Precision. They are certainly very good devices. Top quality and also top sound. I have also heard CH combos very well in other people's systems. I have also tried a P1 (without an additional power supply) and was very surprised at how precisely, if not very emotionally, it plays. Of course, they are top devices!

But I would like to counter the portrayal of CH Gear as an all-purpose weapon - or even as comparable to good tube amps - and refer to my thread here.

a musical journey - Aries Cerat, various devices | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

in which I wrote the following:

"I could also briefly hear some other transistor electronics from a friend at my place: CH Precision L1 and A 1.5, which also sounded different from my electronics, but not really better. I was especially disappointed with the A 1.5. I had expected quite big things from electronics that are so hyped. But the fact that these power amps - if at all - only play a touch better than my old Mark Levinson (and that only with CH preamp - with Trinity the A 1.5 didn't sound at all), that was a really bitter disappointment."

When I had these impressions, all kinds of thoughts came to me, but never, ever a proximity to tube amps or anything like that. And if I wanted to switch to transistor gear in my current system, I would - from what I've read - lean more towards Gryphon than CH.

CH Precision is not an all-purpose weapon and I find the mention in connection with tube electronic very strange. Among other things, I associate tubes with a rather physical representation, i.e. the impression that a performer is actually in my room. In my experience, such a representation would also be a strength of the Shindo electronic mentioned by Gian60. I also associate tubes with a stronger emotional appeal. Transistor electronics can also offer both - but in the constellations I have heard, these are precisely not strengths of CH Precision electronics.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
For all the back and forth recently on this, I have to admit Ron, I also was most intrigued by what was taking Gian and Jack (as well as Arnie) in this direction. Andy Payor was already a big fan of Gryphon so I could not consider him a dyed-in-the-wool SET fan. I have actually had the pleasure of meeting MadFloyd but could not read that he was necessarily dyed-in-the-wool SET, pure tube-only.

But Gian has been a rarified owner of so many exceptional tubed pieces (Kondo, Riviera, etc), and JackD201 a long-time Lamm owner. So I asked Jack about CH. My recollection is that he said that something to the effect of some tube-fans actually hear/love something perhaps slightly different in SET tubes than what others might seek -- specifically that it was not necessarily humane warmth of SET, but its crystalline purity that he admired and craved...and THAT was something that at least Jack had found in the CH SS which he found revelatory.

I suppose some might describe FM Acoustics in a not dissimilar fashion and by extension Dartzeel. I have not heard CH myself, but I have heard FMA in our system at home and could quite see the allure in its crystalline purity up top.

I read between the lines of Arnie's communications something similar though less sure of that.
more than a few of us view ourselves as 'tube' lovers who appreciate how a great solid state amp can get into a more tube type sound. more than one version or preference for that direction, my preference being darTZeel. i can hear that with the top level CH too.

in my case i have compared my system with my dart mono's and an 'uber-level' 32 watt SET, and appreciate what both do in common. choosing my darts, then getting the newer darts with even more tube like character.

my reference sound has been Tenor 75 watt OTL's since 2001. so this idea is not exactly new or rare.

Reactions: hogen

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For all the back and forth recently on this, I have to admit Ron, I also was most intrigued by what was taking Gian and Jack (as well as Arnie) in this direction. Andy Payor was already a big fan of Gryphon so I could not consider him a dyed-in-the-wool SET fan. I have actually had the pleasure of meeting MadFloyd but could not read that he was necessarily dyed-in-the-wool SET, pure tube-only.

But Gian has been a rarified owner of so many exceptional tubed pieces (Kondo, Riviera, etc), and JackD201 a long-time Lamm owner. So I asked Jack about CH. My recollection is that he said that something to the effect of some tube-fans actually hear/love something perhaps slightly different in SET tubes than what others might seek -- specifically that it was not necessarily humane warmth of SET, but its crystalline purity that he admired and craved...and THAT was something that at least Jack had found in the CH SS which he found revelatory.

. . .
I read between the lines of Arnie's communications something similar though less sure of that.

I agree, Lloyd — it’s very interesting.

On the crystalline purity point: I actually would solve for crystalline purity with OTL tubes — Atmasphere OTL or Einstein OTL.

PS1 I have never heard Tenor OTLs, unfortunately.

PS2: When I told Ralph Karsten that as much as I love the crystalline purity of OTLs I cannot cotton to the touch of leanness or less warmth I hear compared to other tube amplifiers. Ralph replied that I simply am addicted to the “warm, fuzzy sound of transformer-coupled output stages.” He’s very likely correct!

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I can partly understand the enthusiasm for CH Precision. They are certainly very good devices. Top quality and also top sound. I have also heard CH combos very well in other people's systems. I have also tried a P1 (without an additional power supply) and was very surprised at how precisely, if not very emotionally, it plays. Of course, they are top devices!

But I would like to counter the portrayal of CH Gear as an all-purpose weapon - or even as comparable to good tube amps - and refer to my thread here.

a musical journey - Aries Cerat, various devices | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

"I could also briefly hear some other transistor electronics from a friend at my place: CH Precision L1 and A 1.5, which also sounded different from my electronics, but not really better. I was especially disappointed with the A 1.5. I had expected quite big things from electronics that are so hyped. But the fact that these power amps - if at all - only play a touch better than my old Mark Levinson (and that only with CH preamp - with Trinity the A 1.5 didn't sound at all), that was a really bitter disappointment."

When I had these impressions, all kinds of thoughts came to me, but never, ever a proximity to tube amps or anything like that. And if I wanted to switch to transistor gear in my current system, I would - from what I've read - lean more towards Gryphon than CH.

CH Precision is not an all-purpose weapon and I find the mention in connection with tube electronic very strange. Among other things, I associate tubes with a rather physical representation, i.e. the impression that a performer is actually in my room. In my experience, such a representation would also be a strength of the Shindo electronic mentioned by Gian60. I also associate tubes with a stronger emotional appeal. Transistor electronics can also offer both - but in the constellations I have heard, these are precisely not strengths of CH Precision electronics.
you must hear shindo monbrison/300b palmer with altec 604 it's great pleasure how this combination breathes life into the music.
I'm a big fan gryphon too elektra/s 100 with martin logan cls does it too.
I would buy all these devices blindly, they fascinated me exactly my taste.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
PAF2022award.jpg

Reactions: cmarin and gian60

John C

Dec 18, 2015

I‘m another tube enthusiast who has made the jump to CH. I’ve only had my 10 Series for a few months and we are still dialing things in. I initially bought the M1.1 and L1- I loved the sound and was very happy. However, when I heard the 10 Series in a few different set ups ”I knew” it was for me. The sound of the 10 Series is unlike music reproduction I have heard from any other electronics. I’m not writing this post to debate your experiences with CH. I just want to suggest that you don’t base your opinion of CH sound on the A1.5. The 10 Series is a completely different animal.

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I love my L1 X1 M1 mono
I listened and tried in Ch room L1 vs L10 and M1 vs M10 and is really a better jump
So i hope one day to afford to 10 line

Reactions: hogen and cmarin

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
I‘m another tube enthusiast who has made the jump to CH. I’ve only had my 10 Series for a few months and we are still dialing things in. I initially bought the M1.1 and L1- I loved the sound and was very happy. However, when I heard the 10 Series in a few different set ups ”I knew” it was for me. The sound of the 10 Series is unlike music reproduction I have heard from any other electronics. I’m not writing this post to debate your experiences with CH. I just want to suggest that you don’t base your opinion of CH sound on the A1.5. The 10 Series is a completely different animal.
And what's the difference?

I had mentioned things that a tube can do better than a transistor, especially the physical representation. So 3D not only related to the room, but also to instruments and voices. So far, I have not read that about CHP's 10 series either. Can it do that or not?

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
And what's the difference?

I had mentioned things that a tube can do better than a transistor, especially the physical representation. So 3D not only related to the room, but also to instruments and voices. So far, I have not read that about CHP's 10 series either. Can it do that or not?
Yes, the 10 series does that in my system - - a nicely fleshed out space with solid sound sources completely free from the speakers, if so recorded. And with a bit more truthful voice than I've ever heard before in a stereo system. I used to love VTL in the early 90's for that "solidity" that their preamps brought, but that was at a cost of darkness, rounding of edges, loss of info. The CHP is giving me a fully informative presentation with solid sonic imaging, and it also draws me in to every recording, even some pretty poorly recorded ones. You hear their warts, but you can't miss the emotional connection, so you don't care about the warts. Now, it is taking me some system dialing-in to get there, but it's there!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Translation?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what rack the guy in the review is using?

1669922439267.png

RoyGregory

Jun 8, 2012
Near Salisbury, UK
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what rack the guy in the review is using?

View attachment 101079
Hi sbnx,

The racks in question are the Thixar SMD Ambitious Mk 2. The picture was taken in the Audio Technique listening room, which is adjacent to their main office on Honk Kong island (just think of the rent!). We asked AT for the full system list and this is what they sent:

Review Components

CH Precision M10 Power Amplifier
CH Precision L10 Preamplifier

Reference System

CH Precision D1.5 CD/SACD/Player/Transport
CH Precision C1 DAC/Controller
CH Precision X1 Power Supply
CH Precision T1 Time Reference 10 MHz Clock

Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable
Esoteric E-02 phono amp
Dynaudio Evidence Platinum speaker

DS Audio ION-001 Ionizer
KOJO Technology Crystal E / Crystal EP Ground Box
T-Adler EarthMan 6 Ground Box
Nordost QKORE6 Ground Box
Entreq Ten Ten Ground Box
Isotek EVO3 Super Nova Power conditioner

THIXAR SMD Ambitious Mk 2 Racks
THIXAR Silent feet Base
THIXAR Silencer_iZ Active damping platform

Cables:

Nordost ODIN 2
Crystal Cable Future Dream22
Crystal Cable DA VINCI XLR

The C1 was left in place rather than being replaced with the C1.2, as they wanted to keep a stable set up. The C1.2 will be installed shortly. The 10 Series amps were installed by Ricky Chong of CH Precision Honk Kong, with considerable help from the guys at AT. He also took the opportunity to update all of the grounding spikes on the digital components to the new composite pieces.

CH Press

Reactions: CKKeung

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi sbnx,

The racks in question are the Thixar SMD Ambitious Mk 2. The picture was taken in the Audio Technique listening room, which is adjacent to their main office on Honk Kong island (just think of the rent!). We asked AT for the full system list and this is what they sent:

Review Components

CH Precision M10 Power Amplifier
CH Precision L10 Preamplifier

Reference System

CH Precision D1.5 CD/SACD/Player/Transport
CH Precision C1 DAC/Controller
CH Precision X1 Power Supply
CH Precision T1 Time Reference 10 MHz Clock

Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable
Esoteric E-02 phono amp
Dynaudio Evidence Platinum speaker

DS Audio ION-001 Ionizer
KOJO Technology Crystal E / Crystal EP Ground Box
T-Adler EarthMan 6 Ground Box
Nordost QKORE6 Ground Box
Entreq Ten Ten Ground Box
Isotek EVO3 Super Nova Power conditioner

THIXAR SMD Ambitious Mk 2 Racks
THIXAR Silent feet Base
THIXAR Silencer_iZ Active damping platform

Cables:

Nordost ODIN 2
Crystal Cable Future Dream22
Crystal Cable DA VINCI XLR

The C1 was left in place rather than being replaced with the C1.2, as they wanted to keep a stable set up. The C1.2 will be installed shortly. The 10 Series amps were installed by Ricky Chong of CH Precision Honk Kong, with considerable help from the guys at AT. He also took the opportunity to update all of the grounding spikes on the digital components to the new composite pieces.

CH Press
They need to swap out the Esoteric E-02 phono amp for a CH Precision P1 4 boxer (two P1's & two X1's) to give the L10 and M10's what they really deserve !

RoyGregory

Jun 8, 2012
Near Salisbury, UK
Actually Roy Gregory didn’t say! This was a post from CH Press (see the signature?) but because it was posted from my ISP it got attributed to me. What Roy Gregory does say is, “You are not wrong about the P1-4 box!”

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing