Cartridge Demagnitizers?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you use a cartridge demagnetizer?

If so, which cartridge demagnetizer do you use?

What do you find to be the sonic effects, if any, of cartridge demagnetization?

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I have the Phasemation DG-1. It really works a treat on step-up transformers, bringing about a significantly more open and natural sound, but I've not noticed such a benefit with demagnetizing cartridges.

Joenies

Feb 18, 2022
Greetings
I have been using the Cardas test album Side 1 tracks 2a, b & c to degauss the entire system. I use it every couple of weeks. It does add clarity to the system. I also use 2 CD test disks to degauss the system also.

A few months ago I re-located my Sumiko Flux Buster. I purchased many years ago. Haven’t used it in years. I hooked it up and degaussed both of my MC cartridges and my SUT. Very nice improvement in sound quality. Voices became clearer and the bass had a stronger foundation. I will re-start using the Sumiko every 100 hrs or so.

I have had good results degaussing MC cartridge’s and SUT.
I don’t think demagnetization of a MC cartridge would be good but degaussing seems to work.
Joe Nies

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I use Aesthetix abcd-1 MC demagnetizer. It has a very slight effect like a little bit relaxed sound, a tighter bass and a cleaner top end. IMHO demagnetization effect is so small it’s almost negligible. It’s much less than removing static on the record. That’s why I don’t use it very often.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I used the SUmiko Fluxbister. That was a long time ago. It was not designed to be used" often". It cleaned up the sound a bit.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
My esoteric phono stage has a demag feature. Used as recommended, I hear no improvement as such, but no degradation either, suggesting it’s maintaining optimal performance.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Greetings
I have been using the Cardas test album Side 1 tracks 2a, b & c to degauss the entire system. I use it every couple of weeks. It does add clarity to the system. I also use 2 CD test disks to degauss the system also.

+1

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
I have the Cardas record which I recommend, and the old XLO test CD with the burn in and demag track. The XLO CD has a diagram to build a pair of RCA cables for hooking your tonearm cables directly to a tape out for demagnetization of your cartridge. Personally, I like the Cardas record best.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Lyra comment in their instructions that tape head demagnetizers should not be used, but that demagnetizers made for phono cartridges could give some improvement.

FWIW, maybe in audiophilespeak demagnetize and degauss mean something different, but in my experience, they mean the same thing.

Reactions: analogsa

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve looked into a few methods on cart demagnetization.
First off a cart almost all have magnets so now I became confused more then my usual state of mind.
how , and what gets demagnetized ?
from what I did read a few things stuck out to me
one fact is all on this earth have a magnetic pole
And this changes as we move around.
so to demagnetize means to make neutral based on neutrality from what may have occurred over a given period of time being exposed to EMF
in a tape deck we use a demage method to neutralize the tape heads so they became as they were before playing tapes.
a fact that some may not know just moving the tape deck from one location to another changes the neutral state so demage is needed again
next is if the cart has a magnet does the demag used effect the magnets inside the cart ?
now playing a type of sound on a record might have an effect if reverses the use effects.
now how does anyone know what the usage effects is ?
im sure my comments may shut the thread down but it’s not my intention it’s truly to better understand the why and how.
lastly I’m not an industry expert lol im
Just an educated electrical engineer is all. And one of many things I’ve learned reading audio forums is you can’t measure all we can hear.
The one fact I can agree is be it Mech or playing an lp does make changes.
if we use a mechanical method I assume it does not hurt the magnets used in the cart if they have them

a generator that does not have a permanent magnet
And uses residual magnet Windings needs a little to start so in the case a little is good
Next some cart use a moving iron I’m not sure do these have magnets
some do have a separate power supply for a type of
powered magnetic field like a field coil horn or speaker does.

Reactions: Rensselaer

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
ok so its to neutralize , but lol copper has very little if any resudual magnitisum retention .
since you cant demag the magnets or copper wire only the case maybe if its ferrious . i dont doubt you can hear it but i cant understand the science . they do make vinyl to do so this has science to back it and i have used them .

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
ok so its to neutralize , but lol copper has very little if any resudual magnitisum retention .
since you cant demag the magnets or copper wire only the case maybe if its ferrious . i dont doubt you can hear it but i cant understand the science . they do make vinyl to do so this has science to back it and i have used them .
Here’s an interesting video.

copper has no residual magnetism, but a magnetic field can exist due to electron motion induced in the copper.

As I’m sure everyone knows, in an MM cartridge, there is a tiny magnet on the cantilever end and it moves due to the excitation at the stylus. The result is electric current in a fixed coil in the cartridge body. In an MC cartridge, there is a magnet in the cartridge body, and a small coil on the end of the cantilever. The coil moves due to the excitation at the stylus. The current generated in the copper is small because of the small size of the moving coil. Hence more gain is needed to bring the signal up to line level.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickS

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
In reading this topic and getting back into analog
I did read how the mc possible can be magnetized
now keep in mind our music is AC and not
Dc so my first thought is how can this occur
The answer is simple some but not all phono preamp have a small amount of dc leakage back into the cartridge. This dc is blocked at the output of a given stage or at the output
this tiny dc voltage can magnetize any part of the device in its path
coils I’m not sure but in 2 articles or can. Keep in mind the induced voltage is very small on mc cart
So any residual voltage I think can have an effect
now how to neutralize well this can be done in a few ways and all can be confirmed no t
Just by ears but by measuring that part I like.
Mae have test records we can use and what they do is make the stylus move and slowly change its given polarity
This is done on each channel separate
next devices what one the flu buster does is this. It places a small dc voltage to each channel
it slowly increases and decreases and changes polarity
Another method is to connected the cart to the phono pre but reverse the polarity of each rca jack this makes good sense and play records
then place back
I read one method of just connect one channel into the next at the output of the cart
again play records of a given type to demagnetize

now I do know some carts have a circuit board inside so I can’t see any external devices would be safe
also mc is what most feel needs demagnetizing
Mm not
this topic is a rabbit hole but to me makes sense
to try something

John Wyant

Feb 23, 2024
Marietta, Georgia
I've owned an Audioquest DM 1000 cartridge demagnetizer for many years. I believe that Jonathan Carr of Lyra designed it, and if that's true, it might be worth using.
Did I hear an improvement after using it? Well, not in my present system.

Marlene pc

Mar 29, 2024
Queens NY
Hi my father who passed 15 years ago was a huge audio file guy. I have a ton of equipment that he treated like a newborn baby. I couldn’t touch it or breath in his living room. I need to sell all this stuff and it’s very tedious. I have receipts, many things are new in box or in great condition. I’m in Queens NY. I was googling the AesthetixAbCD-1 demagnitizer NIB was ready to throw it out and saw it’s worth something that people appreciate. A VPI tuxedo black turntable with extra accessories added to it. Like $6500 new before he added everything, tons of other things. A major collection of vinyl, some super rare and very expensive. My father used gloves and a an air puffer every time he took out an album. He built a very specific case that held the albums and didn’t allow dust in just to give you an example.. Can someone lead me to the right direction of where to sell it. I have Swan speakers with wires alone that were $600 and this is like 15-20 years ago. Thank you I appreciate it.

Attachments

• 25AE6F9E-3CA0-4011-AA36-CFAC26917C75.jpeg
    25AE6F9E-3CA0-4011-AA36-CFAC26917C75.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1D54E751-D110-4A22-B96C-D7D3CFA46018.jpeg
    1D54E751-D110-4A22-B96C-D7D3CFA46018.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 10
  • EC4BA9CB-64B8-4309-9DAA-937F20E6F1CE.jpeg
    EC4BA9CB-64B8-4309-9DAA-937F20E6F1CE.jpeg
    761.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 56851D88-8979-476F-9E36-F833DF4BE29F.jpeg
    56851D88-8979-476F-9E36-F833DF4BE29F.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 7F1D24B4-CEE3-42BF-B1A7-A7F4E458677E.jpeg
    7F1D24B4-CEE3-42BF-B1A7-A7F4E458677E.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 931A82BC-A50C-4113-BE08-6D10872D578D.jpeg
    931A82BC-A50C-4113-BE08-6D10872D578D.jpeg
    876.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 7377186F-32DF-4CD7-B928-22E4A02CB574.jpeg
    7377186F-32DF-4CD7-B928-22E4A02CB574.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing