Capital Audiofest 2023

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hi Damon. Have you worked out how VSA might be showing at the Florida show?

Damon Von Schweikert

WBF Technical Expert
Sep 15, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Damon. Have you worked out how VSA might be showing at the Florida show?
I'm sorry Tony but we will not have a manufacturer presence at this year's show.

Presenting at the majority of US audio shows as a manufacturer for the last five years achieved our desired goal of demonstrating what our products are capable of to many more people than we've reached in the past, you included ;) As a bonus, we achieved over 100 Best in Show awards which really resonated with hobbyist and the industry alike. 56, 75, 81, 93 not so much but 100+ and boom, people are talking about it.

But going forward, I think the greater ROI on our marketing expenses for the immediate future is dealer support. Meeting with owners and staff to explain how we set up our speakers for best performance which is quite different than most people do, sharing product knowledge, doing in-store events, etc. is a way for us to ensure potential customers get the best first impression possible.

Now I think we may have a few dealers at that show and they may choose to present our speakers so we may be in attendance supporting them but that's where we're at for now.

The shows we have planned as a manufacturer for 2024 are Dallas, Chicago, Munich and DC. There's always the possibility of supporting dealers at other shows.

As the first year, Dallas could be very fun. Regardless, I hope to see you this year, perhaps even in Florida. We shall see.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
The shows we have planned as a manufacturer for 2024 are Dallas <snip> As the first year, Dallas could be very fun.
Awesome! I look forward to seeing what'cha got! I'll be down there, so I hope to meet up with you.

Tom

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
But going forward, I think the greater ROI on our marketing expenses for the immediate future is dealer support. Meeting with owners and staff to explain how we set up our speakers for best performance which is quite different than most people do, sharing product knowledge, doing in-store events, etc. is a way for us to ensure potential customers get the best first impression possible.

Now I think we may have a few dealers at that show and they may choose to present our speakers so we may be in attendance supporting them but that's where we're at for now.

The shows we have planned as a manufacturer for 2024 are Dallas, Chicago, Munich and DC. There's always the possibility of supporting dealers at other shows.

As the first year, Dallas could be very fun. Regardless, I hope to see you this year, perhaps even in Florida. We shall see.
Thanks Damon. It must be very tough nowadays deciding which shows to support. In a way this reminds me of earlier years when we had (a real) CES, the Stereophile show, THE Show, and some others.

If you or Leif make it down to FL I’ll of course be very happy, but if not, I’ll likely see you at AXPONA. But hey - make sure whoever might be showing your stuff in Tampa does it justice, and doesn’t use one of your speakers as a sideshow. You know what I mean. ;)

Damon Von Schweikert

WBF Technical Expert
Sep 15, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thanks Damon. It must be very tough nowadays deciding which shows to support. In a way this reminds me of earlier years when we had (a real) CES, the Stereophile show, THE Show, and some others.

If you or Leif make it down to FL I’ll of course be very happy, but if not, I’ll likely see you at AXPONA. But hey - make sure whoever might be showing your stuff in Tampa does it justice, and doesn’t use one of your speakers as a sideshow. You know what I mean. ;)
I do, thanks my friend.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Reactions: Alrainbow

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
So you didn't change anything except the amps?
LOL that's the simple answer.
No this year we had a team. This year I had a lot of help which I never had in the past. This was our third year in the room.
The best answer is yes, we had great amps, yes we used the Wadax, yes we had drapes but the real truth is Brandon Lauer along with assists from Jonathan Halpern and me got it right this time. I want to thank them for their efforts to make the show a huge success. I have always preached about set up and I learned a lesson that one 70 plus year old can't do it all by himself in one day. A hard lesson but one I needed to learn.
Riviera Audio is great stuff BTW!

Reactions: Alrainbow

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
No this year we had a team. This year I had a lot of help which I never had in the past. This was our third year in the room.
The best answer is yes, we had great amps, yes we used the Wadax, yes we had drapes but the real truth is Brandon Lauer along with assists from Jonathan Halpern and me got it right this time. I want to thank them for their efforts to make the show a huge success. I have always preached about set up and I learned a lesson that one 70 plus year old can't do it all by himself in one day. A hard lesson but one I needed to learn.
Regardless of brand(s), some of the best sound I have heard at an audio show period. Shows like CAF are great venues for helping audiophiles find less widely-distributed gems like Gobel loudspeakers. Elliot, congratulations to you and your team!

Undoubtedly, getting the system set-up correctly is the first principle of achieving all a high-end system has to offer and the subject is one that needs more discussion.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Regardless of brand(s), some of the best sound I have heard at an audio show period. Shows like CAF are great venues for helping audiophiles find less widely-distributed gems like Gobel loudspeakers. Elliot, congratulations to you and your team!

Undoubtedly, getting the system set-up correctly is the first principle of achieving all a high-end system has to offer and the subject is one that needs more discussion.
thank you Gary really appreciated

Reactions: gleeds

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Mmm I'm still not clear as to what specifically changed that led to the improved SQ....

Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com
Mmm I'm still not clear as to what specifically changed that led to the improved SQ....
I think his point was simply a better room setup (placement and treatments). My first year at CAF (2021) I did completely on my own. You get access to your room about 830 in the morning, and then its moving lots of heavy equipment up into your room, it takes quite some time. Once its unpacked and basically setup, it's late afternoon/ early evening and you are, at that point, rather exhausted. Then its time to adjust things and tweak things, and at that point, your mind is a bit tired. Also, as anyone else knows, it is harder adjust a system alone, when you are running back and forth between moving heavy speakers, and sitting in a chair and trying to focus on the nuances that separate good from great. For a show, also add into the equation of where do you want it to sound best? One sweet spot amongst 6-9 chairs? Or maybe its a bit less focused on one spot for a wider, but not quite as perfect, experience for more listeners?

I have personally been grateful for the guys at Iconoclast lending some helping hands with room setup my last few shows; extra hands and ears have a lot of value!

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I think his point was simply a better room setup (placement and treatments). My first year at CAF (2021) I did completely on my own. You get access to your room about 830 in the morning, and then its moving lots of heavy equipment up into your room, it takes quite some time. Once its unpacked and basically setup, it's late afternoon/ early evening and you are, at that point, rather exhausted. Then its time to adjust things and tweak things, and at that point, your mind is a bit tired. Also, as anyone else knows, it is harder adjust a system alone, when you are running back and forth between moving heavy speakers, and sitting in a chair and trying to focus on the nuances that separate good from great. For a show, also add into the equation of where do you want it to sound best? One sweet spot amongst 6-9 chairs? Or maybe its a bit less focused on one spot for a wider, but not quite as perfect, experience for more listeners?

I have personally been grateful for the guys at Iconoclast lending some helping hands with room setup my last few shows; extra hands and ears have a lot of value!
If you are going to AXPONA 24 I would offer an extra pair of hands and ears.

Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com
If you are going to AXPONA 24 I would offer an extra pair of hands and ears.
I greatly appreciate that offer! I will be at AXPONA (room 1420) and teamed up with Iconoclast again, so it will be a team effort. Extra ears for a bit later in the day are always good though, so I might take you up on the offer. AXPONA seems like its a ways away, and yet, its right around the corner!

modwright

Industry Expert
Nov 2, 2017
WA ST
www.modwright.com
I'll be going, and it'll be my first-ever high-end show! I'm driving from Indiana to Pennsylvania on that Friday with my wife, dropping her off to visit her 96-year old father, then picking up my brother and driving to Rockville with him on Saturday morning to spend the afternoon at the show. Then we're having dinner with my nephew, who lives and works in DC, and will visit the show again on Sunday.
At the end of it all I'll be picking up a Modwright Ph 9.0XT phono stage demo unit they'll have on display and taking it home with me!
It was great to meet you and I trust you are very happy with the PH 9.0XT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing