Can someone please explain this to me

taters

Jun 6, 2012
i have 2 friends that are musicians and they both have terrible audio systems. When I ask them do they ever plan on getting a better system there answer is why. They say they don't need a better system because they can just fill in the sound they are not hearing through their imagination. They say non-musicians like myself have to hear everything in order to enjoy it. They say musicians know how to fill in the gaps and don't need a better system. I wonder if there is scientific evidence to back this up. Or are they just blowing smoke up my ass.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
i have 2 friends that are musicians and they both have terrible audio systems. When I ask them do they ever plan on getting a better system there answer is why. They say they don't need a better system because they can just fill in the sound they are not hearing through their imagination. They say non-musicians like myself have to hear everything in order to enjoy it. They say musicians know how to fill in the gaps and don't need a better system. I wonder if there is scientific evidence to back this up. Or are they just blowing smoke up my ass.

I reckon the bit in bold is just nonsense

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Your friends are a little confused, IMHO. The music that they produce and record is what I believe they are referring to. Someone else's piece, well that would be a different scenario and I do not think that they have a point in this regard.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We all do what they say to some extent. If we listen to a violin on a clock radio, distortions and all, we still know it is a violin and can imagine it to be as good as we want. Certainly a lot better than what comes out of that 1 inch driver.

That aside, there is a cost to being an audiophile and unless someone appreciates the specific aspect of that, it cannot be justified for countless people. They rather spend their money on their specific hobbies such as better instruments or whatever else they are doing. Musicians as a whole, and as indicated by your friends, are not audiophiles. We think they should be but they don't have much in common with us. Playing an instrument, hearing it inside of a band or a in studio, is an entirely different matter than doing what we do.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We all do what they say to some extent. If we listen to a violin on a clock radio, distortions and all, we still know it is a violin and can imagine it to be as good as we want. Certainly a lot better than what comes out of that 1 inch driver.

That aside, there is a cost to being an audiophile and unless someone appreciates the specific aspect of that, it cannot be justified for countless people. They rather spend their money on their specific hobbies such as better instruments or whatever else they are doing. Musicians as a whole, and as indicated by your friends, are not audiophiles. We think they should be but they don't have much in common with us. Playing an instrument, hearing it inside of a band or a in studio, is an entirely different matter than doing what we do.

+1.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I agree that musicians don't often listen to music in the same way... often they are focused on their part or what they imagine they would be playing when they listen to music and how it relates to the other musicians.

When they listen to music they have actual performed, it's WAY different than normal... mostly they just care about hearing their own performance and evaluating it, they are far too absorbed to even be able to make reasonable judgements about the music. They may think it's great when it isn't.

IMO, some musicians can't appreciate music in the same way anymore, not all but some. I was a music lover before I started playing an instrument and I played in a band and we recorded stuff. It made for a very interesting experience and a totally different perspective.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I agree that musicians don't often listen to music in the same way... often they are focused on their part or what they imagine they would be playing when they listen to music and how it relates to the other musicians.

When they listen to music they have actual performed, it's WAY different than normal... mostly they just care about hearing their own performance and evaluating it, they are far too absorbed to even be able to make reasonable judgements about the music. They may think it's great when it isn't.

IMO, some musicians can't appreciate music in the same way anymore, not all but some. I was a music lover before I started playing an instrument and I played in a band and we recorded stuff. It made for a very interesting experience and a totally different perspective.

:)

Come on Dave! you are rationalizing being an audiophile .. We are different .. the sound of the equipment is as important to us in many instances as the music itself.. it goes as far that many of us will not listen to specific formats ... music be damned ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I think people just have to accept that audiophilia is a different hobby that has some overlaps with music. The extent of overlap differs from person to person. But just being an audiophile doesn't mean one understands music, cares for it, or vice versa, even though the phrase "now I am only listening to music" is often repeated on such forums.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Come on Dave! you are rationalizing being an audiophile .. We are different .. the sound of the equipment is as important to us in many instances as the music itself.. it goes as far that many of us will not listen to specific formats ... music be damned ;)

I could somewhat agree with you had you left off the last 3 words. ;)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Or maybe I was just explaining my experience as a musician vs an audiophile? No hidden agendas here or any need to rationalize anything thankyouverymuch.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I think it's way simpler: some people care about audio, some don't. Some people are musicians, some aren't. Some musicians care about audio, some don't.

But people of all stripes seem to feel the need to explain the superiority of THEIR opinion.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Musicians/artists are a funny breed. They don't have time to listen like we do...they create that sound we listen to...their time is into creating (playing the music)...not enough time for them to do like we do.

That's from the professional musicians I know...and I know a bunch.

I give you an example...with a different type of profession...acting in Hollywood movies; some of the best actors don't even watch movies.
They simply don't have the time...the real working ones. And when they retire they do something else...like cooking, gardening, painting, travelling.

My next door neighbor is a pro musician, and painter...and yet he has just a Bose radio (he gave it to his wife), and his TV is a 37" one, with no sound system.
One of my uncles is a pro singer/musician; he has a small ghetto blaster and a laptop.
I can tell you several stories about my own family people and how they listen to music and watch movies...you would say that it is the majority of people like that.

It is us who are the real audiophile maniacs. ...The rest of the population is normal. ;-) ...And I believe that I'm right; from conventional wisdom.
Thing is, too many people are too conventional...but then, what is truly conventional...what we do or what they do? ;-)

Yes, you are right; some of the best musicians don't have a decent sound system, and they don't listen to the greatest music...it's just like that.
Are they better off? Most likely. :b

Oh, and your friend is 100% right; he can reconstruct in his own imagination what's missing...that, is the true essence of an artist musician.
To know one is to understand. :b

This is a fun thread...we are all funny...musicians and non-musicians...music lovers with a Bose radio or some' else. :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not surprised that musicians' priorities differ from that of their own audiences. A musician's actual location when creating music is just so different from that of an audience member. It is a totally different frame of reference with regards to what sounds right. I can see how musicians can fill in the gaps where we might not. It may even be safe to say that we go to extents too extreme in order to hear it all. I will say this, my own obsession with "hearing it all" is that I can't write or play music worth a damn. I am in constant awe of composers and artists because of my own relative deficiency in talent. This awe leads me to do the best I can in order to best appreciate what musicians put out there. I would guess that if I did have chops I certainly would be expending my time and effort creating rather than reproducing.

As for those musicians that thumb their noses at our "craziness" I have this to say, you should appreciate that we care. Save your condescendence for those that have no qualms to critique you without ever even making the effort of understanding what sacrifices your art requires more so the effort to comprehend your artistic vision.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There are so many examples of musicians having crappy stereo systems that I think it is almost axiomatic. It seems that musicians can listen "through" the technically poor (from an audiophile point of view) sound to the underlying essence of the music. The idea that musicians fill in the gaps where non-musician audiophiles might not be able to definitely seems to be part of the explanation.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
For most of the last twenty years while working I made round trips in the wee hours of the morning between CT and PA so I've had hundreds of hours more musical experiences in the car than with my home audio system. One night I listened to Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders) sing the same song "Don't Get Me Wrong" for well over an hour. I even figured out how to enhance the musical experience and "fill in the gaps" as you say. I turned it up really loud and rolled down the windows. Unforgettable.....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are so many examples of musicians having crappy stereo systems that I think it is almost axiomatic. It seems that musicians can listen "through" the technically poor (from an audiophile point of view) sound to the underlying essence of the music. The idea that musicians fill in the gaps where non-musician audiophiles might not be able to definitely seems to be part of the explanation.

I can completely agree with this Ron

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think people just have to accept that audiophilia is a different hobby that has some overlaps with music. The extent of overlap differs from person to person. But just being an audiophile doesn't mean one understands music, cares for it, or vice versa, even though the phrase "now I am only listening to music" is often repeated on such forums.

Right on! From psychology and economics, the technical terms are “hedonic adaptation” by psychologists and "declining marginal utility by economists. By being exposed to something over a period of time, we get used to it and it becomes our reference.

For the majority in Hawaii, the rainbows and the sunsets are just not as special as to the honeymooning tourist. Get that person to Alaska for 5 years and they will again appreciate those sunsets for a little while. We quickly adapt and get less and less pleasure every time. Additionally, as we are getting used to something, after a while, our brain expects to see or hear thing a certain way just because we are used to them. If you are used to listening in one hall or jazz club, another venue may feel strange for a short while until we get used to it.

"Only listening to music", until you need the next bigger high.

Tony Lauck

Aug 19, 2014
My wife was a musician. The last time I asked her to help me evaluate amplifiers she begged off. She said she wasn't interested in the slight differences in sound that were involved. She told me that when she listened to a recording she was, "interested in what the musicians were thinking while they were playing."

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have heard many accounts of musicians, particularly classical ones, having not the slightest interest in high quality audio systems of their own.
A senior actuary I knew and worked with was a sliver short of international concert standard and had only an inexpensive all in one Denon and I suspect still has something of the same despite now working as a teacher at one of the world's leading music colleges in London.
I could never understand it and the best explanation I was given was as set out in earlier posts that in effect they hear what they want to hear, but it still puzzles me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing