Can one find realism in box speakers that cost less than $150K after experiencing dynamics of horns and horn-type speakers?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
All wave guides provide a little gain. If they didn’t you would never be able to cross them over close enough to a woofer .

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don't really know about how much my speakers fall short of the very top vintage. Maybe it does may be it does not to my ears if I have a chance to hear the holy grail vintage horns. But ddk is right that with mush much less money I spent on my Cessaro I could definitely get the horns in my radar that could have as excellent sound or better than my Cessaro. (Not the Living Voice because I don't think they sound better than my Cessaro.) The thing about big Cessaro is once you buy it you cannot sell it. It is too big, heavy, expensive, require large size room and Ralph to assemble and disassemble it. People who wants to buy a big Cessaro are well to do that dont buy used modern audio either. You buy big Cessaro you are stuck with it...luckily they come with excellent sound. Audioquattr understand what I am talking about.

If I want to construct another system from scratch right now, it will take no more than one fourth of what I have been spending in audio gears for the last three years. And the sound will be no less good than what I have right now. For less than $100,000 you can even get the vintage horns system with the required amplifications with potential to be one of the best if you know who to talk to.

Tang :)
Dear Tang
Can you elaborate on such a system?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
OMG, are those 1600 etc. inches?

Yeah. Unfortunately proper horn loading just needs a lot of horn. So no normal folks (me included of course!) can really ever experience it. Imagine a 20hz horn - will need to be humongous.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
All wave guides provide a little gain. If they didn’t you would never be able to cross them over close enough to a woofer .

Yes, I now remember, when I asked the designer of my speakers (Reference 3A Reflector) why they had more treble output -- a good thing -- than my old ones (Reference 3A DeCapo BE), he said it was because of the tweeter wave guide.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yes, I now remember, when I asked the designer of my speakers (Reference 3A Reflector) why they had more treble output -- a good thing -- than my old ones (Reference 3A DeCapo BE), he said it was because of the tweeter waveguide.

It's hard to say if there is an increase in overall power as a result of improving mechanical impedance match with air as horns do, or if the output is simply concentrated as a result of the directionality the waveguide imposes.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yeah. Unfortunately proper horn loading just needs a lot of horn. So no normal folks (me included of course!) can really ever experience it. Imagine a 20hz horn - will need to be humongous.

You need 13.5ft for a horn to act as a horn at 20hz. Longer might be a little more horn like. At 20hz and 13.5ft all of that 20hz is shooting in one direction. That might be the best way to make a neighbor despise you if it's pointed at them.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
"It's hard to say if there is an increase in overall power as a result of improving mechanical impedance match with air as horns do, or if the output is simply concentrated as a result of the directionality the waveguide imposes. "

Depends on the type is it Constant Directivity or is it relatively flat on axis.

If it is CD then you need electrical EQ to counteract the mass roll off in a compression driver. If you use electrical EQ with a CD horn/ waveguide you get even coverage across the entire bandwidth and a relatively flat power response.

If it is flat on axis with no EQ what you have is the horn/waveguide that is using directivity to compensate for the mass roll off so what you end up with is a falling power response with quite pronounced beaming in the upper octaves

Rob :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
"It's hard to say if there is an increase in overall power as a result of improving mechanical impedance match with air as horns do, or if the output is simply concentrated as a result of the directionality the waveguide imposes. "

Depends on the type is it Constant Directivity or is it relatively flat on axis.

If it is CD then you need electrical EQ to counteract the mass roll off in a compression driver. If you use electrical EQ with a CD horn/ waveguide you get even coverage across the entire bandwidth and a relatively flat power response.

If it is flat on axis with no EQ what you have is the horn/waveguide that is using directivity to compensate for the mass roll off so what you end up with is a falling power response with quite pronounced beaming in the upper octaves

Agreed... my comment was on a dome tweeter in a shallow waveguide (or in a coax application) vs flat baffle.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
If it is CD [constant directivity] then you need electrical EQ to counteract the mass roll off in a compression driver. If you use electrical EQ with a CD horn/ waveguide you get even coverage across the entire bandwidth and a relatively flat power response.

Very well explained.

My understanding is that, particularly at the top end of the horn's passband, the situation is more or less a trade-off between the on-axis frequency response and the radiation pattern width. In other words, assuming the same driver and same ballpark horn length, we can theoretically gain about 6 dB of on-axis efficiency by halving the area that the radiation pattern covers. Sort of like tightening the pattern of a garden hose nozzle increases the pressure where the water hits, but doesn't really change the total amount of water that comes out. Does this sound right to you?

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Duke

Thanks, I agree with that and you can see it in measurements. If you go through on axis sensitivity measurements of horn families where the directivity changes you can see what you suggest. We used to call horns long, medium and short throw. Where the long throw were narrow directivity patterns, short throw wide and medium would be a hybrid between these extremes.

Take a look at this data sheet.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2360-series.htm

The 2360 is 90x50 and the 2366 is 50x27 so very close to half and sure enough the on axis spl difference is 5dB. These are CD horns so you have uniform coverage after EQ.

I like short throw CD horns over traditional flares such as a exponential.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Hello Duke

Thanks, I agree with that and you can see it in measurements. If you go through on axis sensitivity measurements of horn families where the directivity changes you can see what you suggest. We used to call horns long, medium and short throw. Where the long throw were narrow directivity patterns, short throw wide and medium would be a hybrid between these extremes.

Take a look at this data sheet.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2360-series.htm

The 2360 is 90x50 and the 2366 is 50x27 so very close to half and sure enough the on axis spl difference is 5dB. These are CD horns so you have uniform coverage after EQ.

I like short throw CD horns over traditional flares such as a exponential.

Thank you for your insights and for the link. I had been going on that assumption and saw an opportunity to ask someone who would actually know. I have virtually no hands-on experience with "traditional" horn profiles, aside from measuring a few and concluding they didn't meet my needs.

My preferences are similar to yours; I've been using relatively short-throw "waveguide-style" horns (as opposed to the diffraction horns shown at the link). Lately I'm looking into raising my efficiency a bit, which implies going to a somewhat narrower pattern, but I plan to stay with constant directivity as much as I can.

Reactions: Robh3606

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
You have some cool looking speakers on your page! Some of them are a bit Roy Allison to me. Make the room work for you. Do what I did so I could run a 98db woofers cheat as in Bi amp. Its a balance once you start driving woofer efficiency up sooner or later the last octave just drops out.Have you looked at the newer ring compression drivers. They seem to have more output up top. I am sure you know about Earl Geedes Summas Not sure what his system sensitivity was but that design seems to be what you might be thinking about. I think his Oblate Spheroid wave guides were 60 degrees?? Hard to find something like that off the shelf so to speak. Good luck!

Rob:)

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
You have some cool looking speakers on your page! Some of them are a bit Roy Allison to me. Make the room work for you.

Thank you sir! Prosound pays my bills, it's steady income, which high-end home audio never was for me.

My most interesting home audio stuff isn't up there in part because there's still some evolution going on, but lately I've been working with 15" SEOS waveguides and 12" woofers. If you're really bored, here's some online commentary on the system we showed at RMAF last year: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160092.0 (scroll down to the bottom of the first post)

Do what I did so I could run a 98db woofers cheat as in Bi amp. Its a balance once you start driving woofer efficiency up sooner or later the last octave just drops out.

Lately I've been cheating and using subwoofers... four of them actually. I make a little four-piece subwoofer system.

Have you looked at the newer ring compression drivers. They seem to have more output up top.

I am aware of a few ring compression drivers from BMS and Eminence and Celestion... but I may have missed some! Any hints as to what I should be looking at?

I am sure you know about Earl Geddes Summas Not sure what his system sensitivity was but that design seems to be what you might be thinking about. I think his Oblate Spheroid wave guides were 60 degrees??

About eighteen years ago I contacted Earl Geddes and asked him to design a 15" diameter, 90-degree pattern waveguide for me, to be crossed over to a 15" woofer at the frequency where the woofer's pattern had narrowed to 90 degrees. He told me this was similar enough to something he'd been wanting to do for years that we could join forces, with me buying parts and him doing the engineering. Unfortunately I ran out of funds and Earl had to complete the project on his own, and that was the Summa. The Summa is of course 100% Earl's design, I just happened to be barking up the right tree at the right time. Later I was briefly involved again, doing the assembly of a few early pairs of Summas.

To the best of my knowledge all of Earl's speakers used a 90 degree pattern Oblate Spheroid. I don't think he did anything with a 60 degree pattern, but I could be wrong.

My little four-piece subwoofer system, which I call the Swarm, uses Earl Geddes' ideas with his permission.

I am sure you know about Earl Geddes Summas Not sure what his system sensitivity was but that design seems to be what you might be thinking about. I think his Oblate Spheroid wave guides were 60 degrees?? Hard to find something like that off the shelf so to speak.

Back in the day a company called DDS made fiberglass horns and waveguides, including a 1" throat, 10.5" diameter, 90 degree pattern unit that looked a lot like one of Earl's oblate spheroids but with a larger radius round-over at the mouth (and correspondingly the waveguide itself was a bit smaller and lost pattern control a bit higher than one of Earl's would have). I believe it was designed by Mark Engebretson. I used them until they became unobtainium.

I then found a horn that measured pretty good and wasn't diffractive, turns out it was the one being used in the Econowave. I would have preferred a bolt-on rather than screw-on attachment for the compression driver, but overall it worked well.

Then along came the SEOS horns, and imo they are quite good. I pattern-match with the woofer in the horizontal plane, and then add a rear-firing tweeter to compensate the reverberant field for the horn's reduced coverage in the vertical plane. Thus far my best SEOS-based designs are imo outperforming my best vintage OS-based designs, but that may be because I have picked up a few tricks along the way.

Over the past year or so I have been investigating making, or having made, my own oblate spheroid waveguides. In fact within the next month or so I hope to be testing out the first samples.

Any chance you might attend T.H.E. Show in Long Beach in early June? If so, I'd sure like to meet you.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Duke

So would I that would be fun to have a chat. Well if it's Long Beach NY than sure! I am on the wrong coast unfortunately.

It must be a real pain having to finds sources, go through the effort and then loose them. Doing your own sure makes a lot more sense.

I have never heard the SEOS horns have to check them out one of these days. Nice idea on the rear tweeter. I just got a pair of HEILS. What a great sale that was! First experience at home with a dipole top end. Have them biamped with a 12" and a notch to tame the peak. It's different for sure but I like it, sounds nice.

As far as rings here is a paper you might be interested in. No idea about cost or availability although seeing how they handle M2 parts?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...aper-on-Dual-Diaphragm-Drivers-2430-2415-2420

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Dear forum members,

What I wrote below are my personal thoughts. They are not facts. I am not an authority on the subject. I am not as experienced in hifi as most of you. Please read it under these conditions.

For the last 20 years I purchased and used lots of speakers.

The most memorable ones are Sonus Faber Guarnieri, Focal Utopia Diablo, Focal Utopia Scala v2, Wilson Sophia 3, Wilson Sasha, Wilson Alexia, Magico Q3. I may miss some names here.

Out of all these speakers Wilson Sasha and Alexia were the most enjoyable ones. My first criteria are realism and musicality. The feeling of being there and feeling the emotion. I never cared for technicality. Technicality is fun for a few minutes. After that, it is boring. Just like a Bugatti Veyron. It is perfect on paper but if I had to choose only one car to own I would never have a Veyron regardless of cost.

Last year I visited Munich 2018 and covered the show. I listened to nearly every speaker on every price range including statement products. Some were very very good, some were a disappointment. We always say shows never show the true nature of a speaker but if a speaker is 200K USD it has to surprise me in any condition even a little bit.

Anyway, near the end of my Munich journey I visited the Diesis Audio room. I was stuck on my place. Hairs on my arms stood up. I was nearly crying I swear to you. I swear to you on anything. Vyger rig connected to Ongaku connected to Diesis Audio Triode speakers.

I never owned a horn or an open baffle speaker so the sound was so new to me. It was nothing I heard and I heard a lot in my house and my friends' houses.

The realism was scary. The owner of Diesis Audio Guiseppe saw how I felt about the sound and we started to talk. With our talk I immediately understood that this guy designs speakers not just for business but for the love of music. He was first a music man then a hifi company owner.

I didn't think twice and ordered Caput Mundi model right away. I didn't have money for the Triode. I never thought about second hand value etc. The sound I heard there was what I was looking for in this hobby for the last 20 years. There was no contest.

Now I have the speakers for 3-4 months and I am as happy as I can possibly be. Everyday I am amazed. And when I visit my friends' systems that I adored before, they all sound like a "speaker" after my speakers. I really understood what the term "realism" and "being there" means after I heard these speakers.

I have great experience with conventional speakers but I have very few experience with OB and horns so what I am referring with Diesis speakers may be correct with most of the OB & horn speakers out there. I don't know. I also want to add again that these are my own feelings and thoughts. They are not facts. We all have different motives in this hobby but if you never listened to these speakers before, please do. You will be surprised.

With love and respect.

Cagdas

_DSC2076.jpg
_DSC2055.jpg
_DSC2071.jpg
_DSC2075.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I very much like the concept that Diesis have put forward - look forward to hearing their top of the range sometime. Enjoy.

Reactions: parkcaka

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Now these look like a practical implementation of horns. It's ridiculous trying to get low-bass from horns IMO. These drivers must be carefully matched so the dispersion is not too different.

Are those iron-core inductors I see in the crossover? These can be improved significantly by using ribbon air-core inductors like the 12 gauge paper-in-oil ones from jensencapacitors.com. I change all of my speaker crossovers to have these. Big sound quality upgrade.

Steve N.

Reactions: parkcaka

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Parkcaka, I am with you 100%. I had the good (bad*) fortune to hear the Roma model @ Rhapsody in NYC a couple months back. I currently own Alexia (v1) and like you I have loved the musicality and overall delivery. But the Diesis changed my perception and my expectation of what to expect from a speaker. I was more impressed with what I heard from the “Roma” model than I was listening to the Wilson WAMM. That is not a comment of technical virtues, just the impression the speakers made. Lifelike realism, an uncanny ease and flow to the sound, instantly engaging and not requiring monstrous power (ala Dag’ Relentless). Simple form factor, decent WAF, and then the sound...

Did you compare the Caputi to the Roma directly?

* I only say “bad” with respect to the fact I now have to find a way to put Roma in my own room. Fortunately the Minister of Finance is warming to the idea, slowly.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Steve, I hear you my friend. :)

After the honeymoon is over I am sure there will be some upgrade attempts (with permission from Guiseppe) if I can't upgrade directly to the Roma Triode model. The Triode model is the holy grail for me at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Parkcaka, I am with you 100%. I had the good (bad*) fortune to hear the Roma model @ Rhapsody in NYC a couple months back. I currently own Alexia (v1) and like you I have loved the musicality and overall delivery. But the Diesis changed my perception and my expectation of what to expect from a speaker. I was more impressed with what I heard from the “Roma” model than I was listening to the Wilson WAMM. That is not a comment of technical virtues, just the impression the speakers made. Lifelike realism, an uncanny ease and flow to the sound, instantly engaging and not requiring monstrous power (ala Dag’ Relentless). Simple form factor, decent WAF, and then the sound...

Did you compare the Caputi to the Roma directly?

* I only say “bad” with respect to the fact I now have to find a way to put Roma in my own room. Fortunately the Minister of Finance is warming to the idea, slowly.

Hi my friend.

I didn't have opportunity to compare Roma with Caput Mundi but I am sure the DNA is the same. Roma is just an upgrade. But Roma Triode! That is something else. But, I can easily live with Caput Mundi for years. Due to the nature (horn & open baffle) the speaker is sensitive to everything you do in your system. I have never had a speaker that reflects any changes in your system in this magnitude. I can understand why. It is so "not there".

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing