Can high end audio survive after the baby boomers are gone

Ahhh. Count Lamm as one of the cosmetic exceptions. As a Lamm dealer however, I can attest to the fact that I've lost some sales due to the lack of glam. Actually tarting up the faceplates is an option that can be ordered. Somehow it never even felt right for me to offer it. A Chrome faced Lamm would look to me like a Chrysler 300C with a Bentley grill on it. Yuck.

One thing for sure is your table and speakers sure aren't ugly!
Ah, thanks. Lamm really makes a bling faceplate? Frightening. I actually like the blandness of the the equipment, it helps make it less of a distraction in the listening room.

I like it as is myself. Yes one can have the whole enchilada in chrome if so ordered for an added fee. If you think about it, it isn't difficult to do at all. All they need to do is send the chassis' to a shop. The North Asian market generally likes the bling but very few have been shipped out that way according to Vladimir and Elina. IIRC the few that did were destined for China.

Most interesting of all are box loudspeakers. The HUGE bulk of the costs goes into the cabinetry construction and the finishes be they aluminum, veneered, stained or painted. Those premium automotive paint finishes ain't cheap either!

I don't think the headphones gang really cares about audio---at least none of my 30 something friends who buy them. I'm still the outlier by a significant margin.

My one friend I got into mid-fi (Peachtree/PSB) listens only to mp3s and MOG/Spotify mainly.

Tough to pursue audio when there are so many other things that need pursuing like careers and relationships. Maybe it isn't generational but rather a milestone issue. I have young friends into audio. They're usually more settled down and secured.

One thing is universal -- no women.

Tim

Hi

The pictures at the HK show don’t seem to support the counterclaim that young people are flocking to Audio Shows. I saw a bunch of guys many likely in their late thirties and most in their forties .. This goes supporting that this is a Baby Boomers or children of Baby Boomers thing ... Most of people in High End Audio seem to be in their 40's and up. Can we claim 90%? Likely!
The RMAF picture shows me that we are in this gray to white hair category again … 90% .. If we were to conduct a poll in the WBF ..The median age would have to be around 50 or more.

A manufacturer in good standing with the High End Audio community reading this thread would come out very encouraged however. For most companies and for those manufacturers the median age of the owners/principals/designers is likely the same or slightly higher.. Can we venture 60? Ok .... :) So they know that they have about 20 to 30 years to go, increasing revenues and profits ... while their market shrinks and their products become more and more expensive. Said manufacturer would take from this that their current crop of customers present and future are convinced or already believe and firmly, that High End Audio price structure and prices are justified, even just and fair, if one reads between the lines, here on the WBF or elsewhere ... They can take comfort that claims or reputation of performance is Ok and that they need not worry about anything even remotely resembling objective metrics of performance. Their model is the luxury realm.. Pedigree, reputation, prestige and the gurus are what count.. They know now or should know that High End Audio is the closest thing to The High End Luxury watch industry. Preference is king and prices justify everything.

Gee. I hope not. I like going to shows to see solid performers, the lower the price the better. I've picked up a couple of lines and these are doing quite well despite not having much name recall yet. I'll be headed to Singapore with my business partner next weekend to spy on yet another line.

One thing is universal -- no women.

Tim

Actually, in Gary's bottom photo at the RMAF, there is a woman dead center in the photo, four people from the right. Her head is down. She looks bored!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing