California Audio Show 2011

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to point that the Constellation Audio Altair Preamplifier and Hercules Power Amplifier that Steve refers to in his report of the show is reviewed in the last issue The Absolute Sound.
It seems the LAMM ML3 has a concurrent with remote. :cool: I quote Robert Harley review:

"In this presence of instruments at the front of the stage, the Altair and Hercules reminded me of a single-ended triode amplifier. SETs have a palpability and directness of communication in the midrange that brings vocalists to life and imbues instrumental timbres with an addictive immediacy. The Constellation electronics had a similar presentation, along with a timbral warmth and liquidity in the mids and treble that was also reminiscent of single-ended amplifiers. I heard a complete absence of grain and electronic haze overlaying instrumental textures.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting Keith cuz at the show Alon told me it was over $100K and when I looked it up I saw $70 and thought that was for the pair
Hi Steve,

yes, i think these were the Constellation Hercules if i am not mistaken? i have not read any reviews, but apparently the company assembled a pantheon of great audio designers, engineers with the aim of creating the no holds barred assault on the state of the art. i agree the amps look ugly (though the specs are intriguing at 1000 watts with ridiculously low distortion). i look forward to hearing more about these amps (and the pre) as they make their way into the marketplace. sometimes, it aint about the money, or even the attempt at all out technology...its just about the music. so i will certainly refrain until i heard/read more.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looks like Microstrip is all over this one! Thanks!!! sounds intriguing! SET midrange and ridiculous SS power (1000 watts per channel 8 ohm).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looks like Microstrip is all over this one! Thanks!!! sounds intriguing! SET midrange and ridiculous SS power (1000 watts per channel 8 ohm).

I've only head the Constellation gear at the last two CES but if what I heard was any indication, Robert and I have different ideas of SET midrange. SET midranges by the by, is far from accurate; it's what I wish music sounded like but really doesn't :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i will say, i was a little underwhelmed when i read the full review...for $140K of amplification, i was expecting a bit more. Yes, there were clear accolates...but the fact that the bass felt light on all but the Sonus Fabers (ie, light on the TAD Ref Ones and the Rockport Altairs)...seemed a bid odd to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing