C1 upgrade

PR13

Dec 15, 2019
UK
Hi all, I'm a newly registered member although I have been reading the forum for quite a while now.

I currently have a C1 with ATC active speakers and was wondering what upgrade would be best to make. I already have the newly released HD board fitted but am now at a cross roads, do I add an L1 or an X1 to my C1?

I only want to purchase one or the other, not both as I do not want to get carried away adding boxes! The sound I get with my current setup is stunning and I am very, very happy.

I have the opportunity to demo both an L1 and X1 but I'm interested to hear other owner's opinions. Thanks

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I would definitely add the preamp /L1 as will make the biggest improvement in the sound quality and of course an X-1 can be added in the future to one or both pieces if you choose to further upgrade. The preamp is a superior unit and IMO the basis for any great CH system.
I own all of the pieces BTW

PR13

Dec 15, 2019
UK
Thanks Elliot. That's where I was heading as well

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Reactions: PR13

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I bought some years ago C1 and A1 mono and was very happy.
I tried and bought later L1,
Sound was more transparent and better in every parameter.
I bought X1 later and improvement was big,but i listen more improvement adding L1

Reactions: Elliot G.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I bought some years ago C1 and A1 mono and was very happy.
I tried and bought later L1,
Sound was more transparent and better in every parameter.
I bought X1 later and improvement was big,but i listen more improvement adding L1
Isn't C1 the DAC?
I thought you are analog only, Gian? ;)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Yes.

In 2014 or 2015
I listen a demo in a shop of my friend with D1 C1 and A1 mono with Wilson.Wilson i don't like a lot but in that demo was a very good sound and i brought home to try and i bought.
I bought C1 with phono inside and A1 mono,D1 no because too expensive.
L1 was not in production,so i used C1 like pre with phono inside.
Then i bought X1 and Later L1 when arrived.

Then i sold A1 mono to a friend and C1 to have some money to buy M1 mono

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi PR13. Thanks for owning our C1 DAC. We are delighted that you are enjoying it. I agree with Eliot Goldman’s advice above. He is one of our eight U.S. dealers. You will find a greater improvement in the musical presentation by adding an L1 at this point. I had a similar experience to Gian60. The presentation in my system seemed to “open up” in all dimensions when adding our L1. It’s a top-tier pre-amp to be sure! An X1 can be added down the road and keep in mind that each X1 is capable of housing two power output cards so you would be able to connect both the C1 and L1 to an X1 Dual output in the future. Before anyone asks, yes the ultimate is to have a single X1 for each component but the X1 Dual will make an easy to hear improvement when connected to the L1/C1. Feel free to contact me if I can help in any way. Thanks again for owning CH Precision.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have one X1 with 2 board where I connect L1 and P1
My friend also leaving 5 KM from my home has X1 with 2 board for L1 and P1
One day I brought my X1 to him to try L1 and P1 with 2 X1
Another friend listening told the difference is dramatic
So need to start with one X1 with 2 board and in future think a second X1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing