C1 Network Connections

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Hi all! :) I recently procured a pre-owned C1 and am loving every second with it. Though I am using it with an old Oppo BDP-93 player, I am hearing even more details from my CDs than ever before. Cannot imagine how good it will sound if I connect a better CD Transport to the C1.

Anyway, I am planning to use the C1 with the Ethernet Streaming HD Board, but I have some questions on how to set up the C1 properly to optimize the sound quality coming from the ethernet connections.

Here is my network set up:

Telco Optical Fiber Point -> Telco-supplied Modem -> Router -> Netgear Switch -> Wall Ethernet Port at Listening Room -> ??

Connections:

- The Telco Optical Fiber Point and Telco-supplied Modem are connected via Fiber Optic cable.

- All the current connections from the Telco-supplied modem onwards are RJ45 Cat 6 patch cables.

Rooms:

- The Telco-supplied Modem, Router and Switch are situated in a network enclosure at the storeroom.

- The Listening Room is a separate room in another part of the house.

Question:

How should the connections be from the Wall Ethernet Port in the Listening Room to the C1? I have been reading about Uptone Audio's Etherregen with great interest. And I understand that an audiophile switch would greatly improve the quality of the ethernet signal passing through the cable.

What equipment should I consider apart from the audiophile switch? Which LPS should I consider for the Etherregen - would it be the Farad Super 3 LPS?

Should I consider using Fiber Optic as connections - I also hear that many find the Fiber Optic connection benefitting the sound quality? if so, how do I go about doing this and what equipment will I need?

Would such a set up work?

Wall Ethernet Port at Listening Room -> (via Fiber Optic cable) Etherregen -> (via audiophile Cat 7 cable) C1

What will I need to convert the RJ45 to Fiber Optic at the Wall Ethernet Port?

Lastly, the C1 has a SYNC IO board installed (it is able to receive a 75-ohm Hi-Z input, 10Mhz clock generator) - what external clock generators could I consider for use with the C1 and Etherregen?

Apologies for the many questions as this would be the first time I am using a streamer and an external clock generator. I have been reading as much as I can from this forum but I tend to come away with only a sketchy idea. Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light.

But feel free to point me to any links in this forum if this has already been discussed?

Thank you in advance for reading. :)

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
One option is get a Melco HA-N1Z/2EX-H50 and use the Ethernet digital input. Here's a Melco + CH Precision C1 review.

I bought one for a Soulution 560 and very please with the performance.

Reactions: CKKeung

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
One option is get a Melco HA-N1Z/2EX-H50 and use the Ethernet digital input. Here's a Melco + CH Precision C1 review.

Hi @knghifi thank you! This is an interesting option and will definitely explore. I do already have a NAS installed at my server rack in the storeroom though. I was hoping that the C1 can be connected to the network and have access to the music in the NAS.

But this option definitely has huge benefits - for one, the Melco is plug & play. It is a dedicated storage for music files. It is also a clean and neat solution - no need to fuss around with connections. Thanks for the recommendation!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Congratulations on the purchase of your pre-owned C1 DAC. The first check I would make is the firmware level of your C1. To check the level connect your C1 to your home network and have an Android device running our control app connected wirelessly to the same network. Our control app will “see” the C1 and the firmware level is under “Settings” on the menu bar of our app. You can also see the firmware level by navigating through the screens on the front panel of your C1. Refer to the User’s Manual. You will find it under “Factory Settings”. Ver 5.6 is the latest and you can download it from our site here if needed:
If you need to update the firmware, the procedure is spelled out in our C1 User’s Manual also available on our site.

There are two ways to stream music to the C1 over ethernet: use UPnP or Roon. The selector knob of the C1 is used to select one of these two streaming inputs when an ethernet HD card is installed. “Ethernet” is used for UPnP and “Roon Ready” is used when streaming from a Roon core using RAAT. I suggest downloading our free CH Precision control app to an Android device if you are going to stream via UPnP because our app allows you to control music selection and flow.

I have been experimenting with improving the performance of streaming in my own environment for several months now and getting LPS for my Cable Modem, Roon Nucleus +, upgraded data switch, and router have all made improvements. Less “noise” or “haze” with the LPS in place.

Reactions: CKKeung

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Congratulations on the purchase of your pre-owned C1 DAC. The first check I would make is the firmware level of your C1. To check the level connect your C1 to your home network and have an Android device running our control app connected wirelessly to the same network. Our control app will “see” the C1 and the firmware level is under “Settings” on the menu bar of our app. You can also see the firmware level by navigating through the screens on the front panel of your C1. Refer to the User’s Manual. You will find it under “Factory Settings”. Ver 5.6 is the latest and you can download it from our site here if needed:
If you need to update the firmware, the procedure is spelled out in our C1 User’s Manual also available on our site.

There are two ways to stream music to the C1 over ethernet: use UPnP or Roon. The selector knob of the C1 is used to select one of these two streaming inputs when an ethernet HD card is installed. “Ethernet” is used for UPnP and “Roon Ready” is used when streaming from a Roon core using RAAT. I suggest downloading our free CH Precision control app to an Android device if you are going to stream via UPnP because our app allows you to control music selection and flow.

I have been experimenting with improving the performance of streaming in my own environment for several months now and getting LPS for my Cable Modem, Roon Nucleus +, upgraded data switch, and router have all made improvements. Less “noise” or “haze” with the LPS in place.
Thanks for your reply @rsorren1 and the especially detailed rundown of how to check the firmware and update it. I’m going to get down to doing it.

Will also download the manual and start checking it out. Need to catch up on all the functions of the C1.

Could I ask which LPS are you using? Also, it seems that your connections are all done using Ethernet patch cables?
Thanks!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Thanks for your reply @rsorren1 and the especially detailed rundown of how to check the firmware and update it. I’m going to get down to doing it.

Will also download the manual and start checking it out. Need to catch up on all the functions of the C1.

Could I ask which LPS are you using? Also, it seems that your connections are all done using Ethernet patch cables?
Thanks!
I’ve been using LPS from Fidelizer. They are reasonably priced in my view and work great. All of my Ethernet cables that carry signal are AQ Diamond. I’m very happy with the results

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
@tjwm338,

I have Verizon Fios and system in family room. I get high speed Ethernet connection by connecting a Verizon Network Adapter to the family room coaxial port. To maximize performance, replaced all SPS with LPS and both LPS / Adapter on footers to reduce noise. Not sure if adapter works with other cable providers.

Here's the Adapter

Have you tried installing minimserver on your NAS and control with generic upnp/DLNA App?

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
I’ve been using LPS from Fidelizer. They are reasonably priced in my view and work great. All of my Ethernet cables that carry signal are AQ Diamond. I’m very happy with the results
Thank you @rsorren1!

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
@tjwm338,

I have Verizon Fios and system in family room. I get high speed Ethernet connection by connecting a Verizon Network Adapter to the family room coaxial port. To maximize performance, replaced all SPS with LPS and both LPS / Adapter on footers to reduce noise. Not sure if adapter works with other cable providers.

Here's the Adapter

Have you tried installing minimserver on your NAS and control with generic upnp/DLNA App?
Thank you for sharing the details of your connection @knghifi. This is useful. I am getting a better idea now.

Re minimserver, I will get down to installing it on the NAS. Just another question. I know that the CH Control App works on Android only. But with a generic UPnP/DLNA App, for eg the Linn Kazoo, I can use an iOS device to control the playing of the songs?

Reactions: Kozak170

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Hi everyone. Just an update. So I have installed minimserver and also Roon on the NAS. It works seamlessly with the C1! Enjoying streaming as well as music stored on the NAS. Am still using a normal ethernet patch cable connected to the ethernet port on the wall with no audiophile switch.

CH controller app works flawlessly on the Galaxy Tab too. But since I am using Roon, am able to control the music on my iOS devices as well. Very cool!

Before I upgrade the patch cable and include a switch, will enjoy the music in the meantime. :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi everyone. Just an update. So I have installed minimserver and also Roon on the NAS. It works seamlessly with the C1! Enjoying streaming as well as music stored on the NAS. Am still using a normal ethernet patch cable connected to the ethernet port on the wall with no audiophile switch.

CH controller app works flawlessly on the Galaxy Tab too. But since I am using Roon, am able to control the music on my iOS devices as well. Very cool!

Before I upgrade the patch cable and include a switch, will enjoy the music in the meantime. :)
Most C1.1 users friends of mine have found that sonic-performance-wise, the UPnP way is better than using Roon.
Since you have installed minimserver in the NAS, you may try both and find out which way you prefer.

Reactions: Namaste and tjwm338

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Most C1.1 users friends of mine have found that sonic-performance-wise, the UPnP way is better than using Roon.
Since you have installed minimserver in the NAS, you may try both and find out which way you prefer.
Wow thanks @CKKeung for the tip! I will try UPnP and compare.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013

I second the Melco solution as this is what I has been using with my C1.1 for 7 years now. Melco has 2 Ethernet outputs, one directly to C1.1 and the other one to the WiFi Router for controlling. The Ethernet cable to C1.1 can be a higher quality one, and the one to the Router can be as cheap/long as you wish, and the quality of the that cable and Router shouldn't affect the sound as they are not in the signal path, which have cost benefits as well.

Reactions: tjwm338 and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Other than Melco, Innuos' servers also offer two ethernet sockets for similar purposes.

BTW I always prefer servers to streamers because it's easier to get good sonic performance from the former than the latter.

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
I second the Melco solution as this is what I has been using with my C1.1 for 7 years now. Melco has 2 Ethernet outputs, one directly to C1.1 and the other one to the WiFi Router for controlling. The Ethernet cable to C1.1 can be a higher quality one, and the one to the Router can be as cheap/long as you wish, and the quality of the that cable and Router shouldn't affect the sound as they are not in the signal path, which have cost benefits as well.
Hi @zbub thank you for echoing CKKeung's thoughts. I will explore this more seriously. By the way, which model of Melco would you be using? I'm wondering if the N1A would do well with the C1? I may have a chance to get one pre-owned.

tjwm338

Mar 16, 2014
Other than Melco, Innuos' servers also offer two ethernet sockets for similar purposes.

BTW I always prefer servers to streamers because it's easier to get good sonic performance from the former than the latter.
Thank you for your insight @CKKeung. I do agree with you that a direct connection to the server is always better than streaming and it is also more straightforward.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I use Supra CAT8 Ethernet Cables and last leg AQ Diamond between Melco + DAC.

My Melco breaking in and took a big performance leap last 2 listening sessions. Improved transparency , timbre .... sounds more organic. Probably best my system sounds despite using summer SS amp.

@zbub, have you tried isolated mode?

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Hi guys,

I purchased my N1A (4T) back in 2015 and it was basically a plug-and-play. I connected a 1.5-meter AQ Vodka Ethernet between N1A and C1 and the system operated flawlessly.

I used to update Melco's firmware whenever a new version became available. However there was one update a couple of years back that caused my UpnP controller (I had been using PlugPlayer since my Linn days, and I loved the fact that I don't need to create a playlist with PlugPlayer) not displaying music with Asian names correctly, so I reverted back to a previous firmware and have not updated since.

Currently I have an Acoustic Revive LAN Isolator between N1A and AQ Vodka. The LAN Isolator definitely altered the sound a bit - cleaner, more 3D, but perhaps a tad thinner than without it.

I thought about upgrading to an N1Z, but N1A's front USB is more convenient to import new music.

Reactions: tjwm338

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I use Supra CAT8 Ethernet Cables and last leg AQ Diamond between Melco + DAC.

My Melco breaking in and took a big performance leap last 2 listening sessions. Improved transparency , timbre .... sounds more organic. Probably best my system sounds despite using summer SS amp.

@zbub, have you tried isolated mode?
I have not tried isolated mode, but sounds interesting and I'll explore it.

simo68

Nov 30, 2020
una domanda, per chi ci ha provato,

dal dac dcs bartok allo switch sto usando un cavo ethernet sablon 2020, e questo fa la differenza.
un cavo ethernet di base dal nas Synology allo switch;
quindi, mi chiedo se sarebbe meglio metterne uno anche lì o non serve?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing