C-28 Phono Stage Question

RKH

Aug 28, 2023
Marietta, GA
Just getting back into listening to music and returning to vinyl (loving it too) and have a phono stage question. My C-28 is 1980 vintage and never had serviced as i never had a reason to. Now that I’ve added a turntable (Rega P3) I’m wondering if adding an external phono stage would be an improvement over the C-28. I’m using a MM cart (Exact 2) and would like to stay in $500 range for a phono stage if one would make an appreciable difference. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

dinov

Aug 28, 2021
Destin, Fl
I have a C28 and I think the phono stage is first rate. In fact, all Macs have excellent phono stages. Ive used a modified upgraded Jolida JD9 and a Schitt with my C28 and my C26 and in my opinion MAC pre either meets or exceeds both. I really don’t think you’re going to get a big boost from an external phono stage with a MM. In fact, when I’ve used a MC cartridge Ive used a Dynavector SUT.
Another point is If you’ve never had your C28 serviced it may need new caps and if you do any comparisons with external phono preamps you need to take that into consideration because you may be just hearing the old capacitors in your C28 when you compare it to another phono preamp. Hope this makes sense.

RKH

Aug 28, 2023
Marietta, GA
I have a C28 and I think the phono stage is first rate. In fact, all Macs have excellent phono stages. Ive used a modified upgraded Jolida JD9 and a Schitt with my C28 and my C26 and in my opinion MAC pre either meets or exceeds both. I really don’t think you’re going to get a big boost from an external phono stage with a MM. In fact, when I’ve used a MC cartridge Ive used a Dynavector SUT.
Another point is If you’ve never had your C28 serviced it may need new caps and if you do any comparisons with external phono preamps you need to take that into consideration because you may be just hearing the old capacitors in your C28 when you compare it to another phono preamp. Hope this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense Dinov and you have a good point on recapping the C-28. I have a repair guy that could sure do it, but right now he’s running 90 days behind and I hate to be down that long. Maybe I could talk him into calling me closer to when he could get to it. Thanks for the advice.

dinov

Aug 28, 2021
Destin, Fl
Makes perfect sense Dinov and you have a good point on recapping the C-28. I have a repair guy that could sure do it, but right now he’s running 90 days behind and I hate to be down that long. Maybe I could talk him into calling me closer to when he could get to it. Thanks for the advice
The C28s phono section is definitely a winner! Good luck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing