Buyer Beware: Dennis Foley and Acoustic Fields

James Cohen

Nov 17, 2021
I think it's important for me to share my experience and inform potential buyers/clients about Dennis Foley of Acoustic Fields, as I've seen inquiries about him posted on several forums online.

I contacted Dennis Foley about a studio design, and not only was his advice nonsense, he came across incredibly arrogant and rude. Apparently my space was all wrong, and it would cost an insane amount of money to make it sound decent (not true; I went a different route and it sounds phenomenal). He claims he's "busier than a dog in a meat truck," yet his public calendar used to book appointments remains wide open.

[deleted]

I see he's a member of this forum, so I wonder if he'll chime in. Anyone else have experience with him?

Last edited by a moderator:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Well this us bothersome as i did a complete project with him. I did some research too but none of this showed up. I have to say my room sounds very good and he really did build very very nice custom cherry quadratic diffusers that fit the design perfectly. QRD Well calculations were correct. There has to be two sides….

Reactions: Dentdog

James Cohen

Nov 17, 2021
Well this us bothersome as i did a complete project with him. I did some research too but none of this showed up. I have to say my room sounds very good and he really did build very very nice custom cherry quadratic diffusers that fit the design perfectly. QRD Well calculations were correct. There has to be two sides….

Glad your experience was better than mine, and that your room sounds great!

Reactions: Hmart

James Cohen

Nov 17, 2021
Please take this post down. We don't know the whole story and OP is clearly trying to harm this man's reputation and business.
I shared my subjective experience, then shared objective facts. People have a right to analyze and make their own decisions.

Edit: I edited my original post and removed my personal opinion about his business. Hopefully that clears up any contention about the existence of the post.

Reactions: lordcloud

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Well … Without even the courtesy of introducing yourself It would appear that your singular motivation for this somewhat distasteful opening post amounts to you airing the details of a recent and *Private* disagreement that you claim took place between yourself and the individual you name, whilst also making reference to a previous business dealing for which the same individual has been brought to account by the authorities and for which has paid the price for.

Reactions: Jake Purches

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Well … Without even the courtesy of introducing yourself It would appear that your singular motivation for this somewhat distasteful opening post amounts to you airing the details of a recent and *Private* disagreement that you claim took place between yourself and the individual you name, whilst also making reference to a previous business dealing for which the same individual has been brought to account by the authorities and for which has paid the price for.
Introducing himself would have been nice.

Reactions: Michael Davitt

James Cohen

Nov 17, 2021

Hi, I'm James. Didn't think an introduction was entirely relevant to the subject at hand. As stated in my post, of course that's my singular motivation. I'm bringing to light my experience and facts about an individual currently selling products and services. And I'm doing so for good reason: so others can make a more informed decision before working with him. His prior (and recent) conduct is inarguably more distasteful than my post about said conduct.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
James,

It seems to me that the only actual personal experience you have had with him resulted in your subjective conclusion that he was "arrogant" and "rude." These are hardly hanging offenses.

I don't know why this experience with him would occasion you to go out of your way to post publicly your further research about his seemingly bad background.

Further, if he was a fraudster, why didn't he try to take your money in return for a fraudulent consulting project?

Pending further information I have deleted the portion of your post other than your direct experience with him.

Last edited:

1_Ongaku

Apr 3, 2019
I also had a bad experience and ended up losing money in the process and no product. I am only posting to say that he is not the only one. I will also say that while it was not 100% his fault I think the outcome could have been handled better. Many of us have had bad experiences during the course of this audiophile path. I think expressing them is good but probably could be presented in a less attacking manner. Just a thought!

James Cohen

Nov 17, 2021
James,

It seems to me that the only actual personal experience you have had with him resulted in your subjective conclusion that he was "arrogant" and "rude." These are hardly hanging offenses.

I don't know why this experience with him would occasion you to go out of your way to post publicly you further research about his seemingly bad background.

Further, if he was a fraudster, why didn't he try to take your money in return for a fraudulent consulting project?

Pending further information I have deleted the portion of your post other than your direct experience with him.
Strange that you'd keep the subjective part, as that's purely anecdotal. I could be making the whole thing up.

The part that's not up for debate is the (now deleted) objective part, in which I provided specific evidence of his criminal history (some very recent), which is directly related to the industry in which he currently does business. He took plenty of people's money in return for fraudulent projects, but you deleted the evidence I provided.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I shared my subjective experience, then shared objective facts. People have a right to analyze and make their own decisions.

Edit: I edited my original post and removed my personal opinion about his business. Hopefully that clears up any contention about the existence of the post.
What's interesting to me is that he was just "rude" to you, he didn't take any of your money or start any work. Full background check for people that are rude to you? I pity the local record store snob when you try to buy a Rush album.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing