Burmester and Magico

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
Does anyone have experience using Burmester electronics with Magico speakers, specifically the Q5s? It would seem to be potentially a good match, but I have not seen anything on any of the online forums or magazines discussing this combination.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Having heard magico's with D'Agostino Momentums, ARC tubed amps, Devialets...i am going to make a guess here that high quality, high power with the characteristics described on Burmester sound is probably a good match. All personal taste in the end, but i strongly suspect Burmester should be the kind of high current, high power amp with a touch of sweetness that a Magico will enjoy feeding on.

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
I raised the question because I heard the Q5s a few weeks ago with the D'Agostino monoblocks, and it seemed like they ran out of headroom on the macrodynamic side of large scale orchestral works. The room was about 25' x 18' and moderately treated. I would not have expected that dynamic limitation from those amplifiers. My concern is that my room is somewhat larger than that, and, although it would be hard to claim that 300 watts into 8 ohms would be underpowered, it would seem to be, in this case. I talked to Irv at Magico, and he had no direct experience with the Magico/ Burmester combination. Robb at Burmester told me that he knew of only one of his customers with Burmester electronics and Magico speakers. So I am looking far and wide on WBF for other experiences.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
interesting...we did not push the D'Agostinos particularly hard when playing the Q5s with the D'Agostinos in room about the same size. So cannot say if Momentums run out of steam...i agree with you...that is not something i would have expected. Then again, Magicos can be a tough load. If you do hear Burmster with Magico, pls post.

caesar

May 30, 2010
It's no coincidence that primarily Wilson dealers carry the D'Agostino amps, as the amps were voiced with Wilson.

Have you tried Balabo or VTL's with your Q5's?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
I'd heard the burmester 808 + 911 (monos) driving the Q3s with the Davinci Unison TT. It's easily one of the best I've heard. The Q3s, however, are a much easier load than the Q5s.

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
I have no access to BALabo. The higher power VTL's are space heaters, have a lot of tubes, and do not have the greatest track record for reliability, so I would not likely consider them. I was an early adopter of VTL 300 's back in 1988, and even then, their reliability was not great.

Is there a published spec for the 911 mono's as far as current output? I do not seem to see one published anywhere.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The Burmester amplifiers sound great but don't like low impedance loads. Magico Q-series is a pretty tough load except the Q7. I would definetly try before purchasing.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Q3 is an easy load. The Q5 on the other hand, requires a nuclear reactor.

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
Thought I would give some follow-up. I opted for a pair of VAC Statement 450's for my Q5s. They have plenty of dynamic headroom and never sound under siege even at pretty loud levels. They do generate some heat, but nothing that will be a problem in the Seattle climate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing